• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Live Coverage Will Be Paywalled

Sure would be nice to see more people say "Congratulations, Jeff! Way to go! Amazing job shattering even your stretch goals!"

rather than some of the Negative Nancy comments poo poo'ing their success as only a byproduct of the pandemic :thmbdown:

I see a bunch of people saying good job, I'm hooked, I subscribed for at least part of the year, etc. If one negative comment is all it takes to kill your buzz, I have news for you?

In any case, I'd love to know what sort of info they have on "How did you hear about DGN?" and "How long have you been a disc golf fan?" If the most likely answers are "Brodie Smith" and "6 months", then it remains to be seen if this is a sustainable jump in subscriptions.

Also, this paragraph reads as ominous to me:
The Tour will now have far more leverage in negotiations with post-production companies seeking to film and distribute DGPT rounds. With stronger incentives to keep lead card coverage exclusive to DGN, it's easy to imagine changes to the wide availability of next-day coverage on YouTube.

I will end my subscription to DGN so fast if the post-production people get shafted ...

Sure would be nice to see more people say "Congratulations, Jeff! Way to go! Amazing job shattering even your stretch goals!"

rather than some of the Negative Nancy comments poo poo'ing their success as only a byproduct of the pandemic :thmbdown:
I've been learning that a very significant percentage of the populace are just absolutely miserable sacks of ****, though this is still disappointing since disc golfers tend to be much cooler to each other than that. Not cool.

lso, this paragraph reads as ominous to me:

I will end my subscription to DGN so fast if the post-production people get shafted ...

they did jomez a HUGE favor with the whole cbs sports thing, so I think it's actually a good thing if the DGN ends up being on more level footing in terms of negotiating power

they did jomez a HUGE favor with the whole cbs sports thing, so I think it's actually a good thing if the DGN ends up being on more level footing in terms of negotiating power

How so? DGN is a DGPT venture, and DGPT is just looking for a sustained media audience. Broadcast coverage was in their model.
"I think there's excitement — the revelation that pushing past our current model to network broadcast is fairly unnecessary," said Spring.

Although he sees getting regular national television exposure would be good for the marketing of the Tour, he no longer feels like there's pressure to land a TV partnership.

The CBSN broadcast is part of their plan. Not sure how it's a favor to Jomez to get an experienced post-production crew to do post-production.

How so? DGN is a DGPT venture, and DGPT is just looking for a sustained media audience. Broadcast coverage was in their model.

The CBSN broadcast is part of their plan. Not sure how it's a favor to Jomez to get an experienced post-production crew to do post-production.

jomez and dynamic discs put together the CBS sports deal.

Things fell into place quickly from there, at least initially. Dynamic Discs made the decision to fund the project and approached JomezPro to handle production. After several days of negotiations between the two companies, Dynamic Discs eventually agreed to JomezPro's full asking price. "They used a 20-person crew at the event, they're hiring additional editors, and they're hiring a drone company that can produce better drone footage that they can themselves," Rusco said. "They've got a lot to accomplish between now and July 27th, which is when the deliverable is to CBS Sports."

After Jomez enthusiastically agreed and they settled on a price, Dynamic Discs approached Jeff Spring. The Disc Golf Pro Tour controls full media rights for all events on DGPT events, so the project would not move forward without its agreement.

"In all honesty, we said yes because this is something Jomez was asking for as well," said Spring. "DD asked Jomez; Jomez said yes. DD asked us, and we said let us think about it. What we did was just our due diligence. We have a contract with Jomez and Central Coast, and we were open to it if they agreed."

jomez and dynamic discs put together the CBS sports deal.

Ok, and?

It's still part of DGPTs overall strategy. Arguably that is a lapse on the part of DGPT to have missed that any opportunity for broadcast coverage was available.

But regardless, that would have been DGN and DGPT cutting their nose off to say no. DGN got the exclusive live coverage there, with the post-pro coverage being delayed for cable TV. Heck, I subscribed to DGN because I knew I would not get post pro for that tourney.

and you missed the point of why they did jomez a favor... dd and jomez organized something basically in secret and told the dgpt about it pretty close to the event. they did jomez (and dd) a favor by being so cool about it.
:thmbup:

It blows my mind that idiots are still arguing about live vs post production.

2 different products for 2 different subsets of the disc golfing audience.

There's nothing to relate between the two except that they are both covering the same event. Watching live sports has NO substitute. Post-prod is a reasonable way for people who don't care to see things unfold live to get a round recap.

dd and jomez organized something basically in secret and told the dgpt about it pretty close to the event. they did jomez (and dd) a favor by being so cool about it.

that's not really the story that Rusco relayed on Smashboxx this week, and it would be prudent for you to not make **** up because it make you look very uninformed.

that's not really the story that Rusco relayed on Smashboxx this week, and it would be prudent for you to not make **** up because it make you look very uninformed.

I was basing my info off this from an ultiworld article:

Things fell into place quickly from there, at least initially. Dynamic Discs made the decision to fund the project and approached JomezPro to handle production. After several days of negotiations between the two companies, Dynamic Discs eventually agreed to JomezPro's full asking price. "They used a 20-person crew at the event, they're hiring additional editors, and they're hiring a drone company that can produce better drone footage that they can themselves," Rusco said. "They've got a lot to accomplish between now and July 27th, which is when the deliverable is to CBS Sports."

After Jomez enthusiastically agreed and they settled on a price, Dynamic Discs approached Jeff Spring. The Disc Golf Pro Tour controls full media rights for all events on DGPT events, so the project would not move forward without its agreement.

"In all honesty, we said yes because this is something Jomez was asking for as well," said Spring. "DD asked Jomez; Jomez said yes. DD asked us, and we said let us think about it. What we did was just our due diligence. We have a contract with Jomez and Central Coast, and we were open to it if they agreed."

what was shared that's different?

what was shared that's different?

Firstly, is that it was in the works for a while - and that MANY disc companies helped subsidize the payment for CBS Sports to carry the program. It may have been a DD/Jomez idea, but a lot of big names in the industry all worked together to make it happen.

Go listen to Smashboxx from last week to get the story straight from Rusco. Terry/JVD asked a lot of good questions.

Firstly, is that it was in the works for a while - and that MANY disc companies helped subsidize the payment for CBS Sports to carry the program. It may have been a DD/Jomez idea, but a lot of big names in the industry all worked together to make it happen.

Go listen to Smashboxx from last week to get the story straight from Rusco. Terry/JVD asked a lot of good questions.