• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Match Play Championship

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
September 16-19 @ the Steel Club. I just noticed this on the DGPT site and was surprised to hear that the Steel Club has had a disc golf course since 2018.

I'm not very experienced with match play, but from the little I've done, it seemed like the course determines a lot of strategy. The last few holes seem especially important; the more scoring separation and risk/reward there is, the more players are required to play situational golf depending on how far ahead or behind they are. Is anyone with more experience able to confirm/deny this?

I'm not very experienced with match play, but from the little I've done, it seemed like the course determines a lot of strategy. The last few holes seem especially important; the more scoring separation and risk/reward there is, the more players are required to play situational golf depending on how far ahead or behind they are. Is anyone with more experience able to confirm/deny this?
Well unfortunately, the Steel Club is on a golf course, which in my mind doesn't lend itself to scoring separation. Looks like another step in the direction of homogenous disc golf courses on the pro circuit for the sake of money...a far cry from Dogwood.

Well unfortunately, the Steel Club is on a golf course, which in my mind doesn't lend itself to scoring separation. Looks like another step in the direction of homogenous disc golf courses on the pro circuit for the sake of money...a far cry from Dogwood.

I'd click "dislike" on this if I could. not your thoughts, but the decision to host a match play championship on a wide open course.

So this is an unrepresentative photo?

3D5A4350Compressed.jpg

Looks like another step into what Paul Ulibarri calls distance dystopia, but hey, the DGPT can have a tourney in a Walmart parking lot and get the top pros if they are waving 20k.

I've played there multiple times. Don't have time to properly post but holy hell is that course harder than cameras make it seem. I'll come back to this thread later tonight but yes absolutely there IS INDEED scoring separation even for the elite.

EDIT: I'll do a "walk through" commentary if I get enough curiosity, otherwise no I won't waste my time.

Last edited:
I've played there multiple times. Don't have time to properly post but holy hell is that course harder than cameras make it seem. I'll come back to this thread later tonight but yes absolutely there IS INDEED scoring separation even for the elite.

EDIT: I'll do a "walk through" commentary if I get enough curiosity, otherwise no I won't waste my time.

I'd watch it, simply because everyone here bitches so much about the Pro Tour

Dogwood seemed like a pretty good course. Though it had probably a few too many short dogleg layup shots for me. Too many chip shots to make it really enjoyable to watch. It was hard to tell what a good shot was even at times on the drive. I like technicality but with more distance for the pro's.

Dogwood seemed like a pretty good course. Though it had probably a few too many short dogleg layup shots for me. Too many chip shots to make it really enjoyable to watch. It was hard to tell what a good shot was even at times on the drive. I like technicality but with more distance for the pro's.
I loved it, disc golf in it's purest form...shaping shots and scrambling. Flukey ? Look who finished in the top ten.

I loved it, disc golf in it's purest form...shaping shots and scrambling. Flukey ? Look who finished in the top ten.

The course I thought was mostly fair. Hole 1 was a crapshoot and a couple others like the tree in the middle on 2 after 250 feet (around the corner). I just thought it was too short overall mainly. It was decent.

Does anyone know how the players were seeded?
The Eagle(1) vs Colton(16) looks like it was seeded by world rankings, but others don't make sense. Dickerson as a 14? Nikko (6) higher than Hammes (8) and Conrad (7)?

Anyone else noticed that the PrizePicks over/under lines for how many holes people will win are a little odd? Catrina's over/under is 2 holes won (out of 12). Seems quite low. On the flip size, Eagle and Paige's over/under is 6.5. The most holes someone can win is 7, and that's if there are no ties. Eagle didn't come close to hitting his (tied on hole 3), and even though Paige is much better than Deann Carey, it only takes 1 tie. Seems like PrizePicks doesn't have a great understanding of how match play works (irrespective of their knowledge of DG).