• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: Portland Open June 4-6

Perhaps not an advantage for them but a disadvantage for many of those below them.

We're talking about the difference. Disadvantage for those below would also result in a wider than observed difference.

Distance is their "normal" disadvantage. These results help support that correlation.

The question at hand was whether the course gave the 1050 guys more advantage than other courses (or, as you put it, other players more disadvantage than other courses).

It did not.

Have not seen R3 yet but looking at the scores it looks like KJ had a two shot lead going into 15 and all he had to do was "par out"? (very few got 16 and 17)

Was it bad luck or did he totaly blow up on 15?

Have not seen R3 yet but looking at the scores it looks like KJ had a two shot lead going into 15 and all he had to do was "par out"? (very few got 16 and 17)

Was it bad luck or did he totally blow up on 15?

Basket is kind of on a ridge/mound with an OB on one side in the perfect place to catch a rollaway. Add some nasty gusts of wind right then and it was ugly for for sure. The first miss wasn't bad but the wind grabbed it rolled it a bit. He was mad it looked like for the second on and it was a bit too hard which made it go off the side of the chains and then get up on edge and rolled OB. He missed that also but then a nice comeback putt to keep it a 7. Could have been a 9 or 10 real quick if he'd airballed that one...

I don´t know if Paige and Cat likes this type of course but both here and OTB open they are WAY ahead of the field.

Basket is kind of on a ridge/mound with an OB on one side in the perfect place to catch a rollaway. Add some nasty gusts of wind right then and it was ugly for for sure. The first miss wasn't bad but the wind grabbed it rolled it a bit. He was mad it looked like for the second on and it was a bit too hard which made it go off the side of the chains and then get up on edge and rolled OB. He missed that also but then a nice comeback putt to keep it a 7. Could have been a 9 or 10 real quick if he'd airballed that one...

Wonder if a lay up was ever on his mind? ..he was in the lead and only a few holes left, two of them very hard to get

Kind of mean to have the basket on a mound AND have OB so close that a roll often goes OB

Wonder if a lay up was ever on his mind? ..he was in the lead and only a few holes left, two of them very hard to get

Kind of mean to have the basket on a mound AND have OB so close that a roll often goes OB

Was just looking at the cabbie book image for this hole. I didn't realize there was a green there from memory. So there is actually OB on 2 sides to roll into...

15.jpg

The question at hand was whether the course gave the 1050 guys more advantage than other courses (or, as you put it, other players more disadvantage than other courses).

It did not.

Well, but it might have, right? The expected difference was 24 strokes, and it was 29? That certainly won't be statistically significant, but it's hard to expect a statistically significant outcome when there's only 4 guys rated 1050 and only 3 rounds, and none of them ever put together an elite round. Really there isn't enough data to draw any conclusion one way or the other.

Also...that's only one metric. You could also look at the odds that not one person rated 1050 or below would finish ahead of any of the 1050 club. I've gotta think the odds of that, course not considered, are less than 5%.

Does this mean that Val Jenkins is no longer the lead female announcer for DGPT?

Val was on-site at the course helping with things, with it being semi-local and all. My impression was that Elaine was invited in as a one-time thing, to cover for Val for this event.

Elaine King

I watched the majority of all 3 rounds. Initially I felt "meh" about her, but as I watched/listened to her for +6 hours she definitely grew on me.
I like that she doesn't gush over average shots (Val Jenkins is terrible for this).
Elaine isn't afraid to call a poor shot a poor shot. Some FPO announcers either don't comment on a poor shot or they say something neutral..."that wasn't her best effort". If a player has a bad shot I want to hear it. The MPO announcers are a little better about this.

Her voice is clear. She meshed really well with Terry. She seems to have a good sense of humor.
With 5 World Championships and 299 career wins she definitely has the background to comment on the decisions and throws being made. (Hannah McBeth does not, but I really do like Hannah as an announcer)
Nice job Elaine King! :clap:

Speaking of announcers, I'm not sure why Philo isn't playing, but he can announce every tournament as far as I'm concerned.

Moar Philo, please.
Agree with glassilla on EK...the longer I listened, the more I liked her commentary.

(Philo + EK) > (Doss + Val)

Well, but it might have, right? The expected difference was 24 strokes, and it was 29? That certainly won't be statistically significant, but it's hard to expect a statistically significant outcome when there's only 4 guys rated 1050 and only 3 rounds, and none of them ever put together an elite round. Really there isn't enough data to draw any conclusion one way or the other.

Also...that's only one metric. You could also look at the odds that not one person rated 1050 or below would finish ahead of any of the 1050 club. I've gotta think the odds of that, course not considered, are less than 5%.

If the difference is so small as to be indistinguishable from random chance, who cares? We're not going to ban all disc golf on golf courses based on an insignificantly higher than expected difference. We're not going to be running hundreds of tournaments to precisely measure how little of an advantage this course gave to long throwers. All we can say is our fears seem to have been unwarranted.

You can't go looking for a metric after the fact. If you look hard enough, you can always find one that had a significant difference. Of course, at that point you'll usually have a pile of metrics that say there is no difference (which you'll need to choose to ignore to make a point).

For example, the second metric you looked at - none of the long throwers ever put together an elite round - further supports the hypothesis that the course measured skill similar to the way other courses measure skill. If the course had been stretched out to prevent anyone other than long throwers from scoring, it should have produced many elite rounds from these four guys.

Does this mean that Val Jenkins is no longer the lead female announcer for DGPT?

Coverage was pretty stellar. I definitely preferred Elaine's commentary. She identified a lot technical aspects of both MPO and FPO shots and didn't overly gush about routine shots. I didn't watch all the FPO, did they do check-ins with Val on the course like they did with Nate?

Since it's supposed to storm here all weekend, I'm probably going to talk myself into paying for coverage. The open courses don't provide much scoring separation so hopefully this will end up as an entertaining ending.

I love being right when it's a positive :)

Not the 'entertaining ending' I was thinking when I posted this - I figured the open course would be a birdie or die finish for the top 4-5 instead of painfully tough breaks, air-ball putts and the other mis-plays that made this so tense at the end.

The interview at the end picked up after a few questions but dude, give the guy more than 10 seconds to soak it in and gather himself. Eagle handled it well but it seemed like he was looking for a high/five or hug instead of a mic in his face.

DGN was great as always too, but it may be time to set some ground rules for cameraman placements.