• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Sold to Todd Rainwater

Bring back the dots. (for those not familiar the USDGC used to do this before there were video cameras everywhere)
I remember trying to follow Nikko running down Feldberg at USDGC in '09 and how happy I was that dots were a thing. I must be easy to please.

Follow flight is a very hard process that is only done in post production for disc golf.

Hence why I said "if they can streamline the process"

I know that right now it is extremely labor intensive.

I remember trying to follow Nikko running down Feldberg at USDGC in '09 and how happy I was that dots were a thing. I must be easy to please.

Nah, just not spoiled. I recall waiting days to find out who won Worlds and months to be able to [i[buy[/i] the video of the final 9. Now instant score updates by the throw and live streaming video aren't good enough.

Nah, just not spoiled. I recall waiting days to find out who won Worlds and months to be able to [i[buy[/i] the video of the final 9. Now instant score updates by the throw and live streaming video aren't good enough.

To be fair, this is just a symptom of the technological age we live in. I used to remember reading the morning paper to find out who won the Tiger's games, and to pour over the box scores. What youngster nowadays reads newspapers??

What youngster nowadays reads newspapers??

What persons of any age are reading newspapers nowadays?

I don't get how magazines stay in business. I mean I can't see getting a Sports Illustrated in the mail to read up on all that stuff that I already knew about. Might as well pull the PDGA magazine into this as well. Talk about irrelevant.

I remember the year World's was in South Bend a buddy of mine went. World's comes and goes and the following Thursday he's back at league and I ask him who won; he didn't know. :eek: He played Masters, didn't make the cut and went home. He shrugged and said "Climo won." I asked him how he could be sure, he said if Climo had lost he for sure would have heard about it by now. He hadn't heard anything so Climo won. :| I read about it a couple of months later when Disc Golf World News came out; he was right, but until then I just had to assume that Climo won.

Follow flight isn't too labor intensive. It just takes a while for After Effects to process the video and then you adjust the tracking. It is just the cheapest way to do it. That VideoApp thing couldn't be done on the fly for live. There is a piece of equipment with FlightScope that needs to be configured and calibrated onsite. I think that the After Effects is the easiest way to do that right now. We are probably 5 or 7 years away from this type of stuff being available for the home broadcast user on the fly.

As far as a "dots" style integration. I have thought about it a lot. And we would need a few things.
1. High quality images or graphics of each hole. Either from Google Earth, or maybe a nicely designed graphic.
2. An additional person to mark where the disc landed. And then do we care HOW it got there? Do we care if it bounced off a tree to get there, how accurate do we want our "lines" to be. Or do we just care where it ended up?

I would love to get to a place where we have a volunteer on each hole or a scorer that can drop pins on digital maps to show where the discs land.

It is funny, because this is the model that we have kinda been using since 2012. It is just now that many other places are feeling the financial pressure to go this route as well.

OH, and bicycling races have like $200K to put on 4 day broadcasts. WOW. Time to up our rates. hahaha.

It is funny, cause Terry and I were just talking after the podcast on Tuesday about sending a raw feed to another place where they could commentate over it, like another language or something. Or maybe just for fun like to the DGComedy guy.

What persons of any age are reading newspapers nowadays?

I don't get how magazines stay in business. I mean I can't see getting a Sports Illustrated in the mail to read up on all that stuff that I already knew about. Might as well pull the PDGA magazine into this as well. Talk about irrelevant.

I do. I have to have something to read in the bathroom. I don't own a phone, but you can be assured the last place I would take something I put to my face, is the bathroom.

It is funny, cause Terry and I were just talking after the podcast on Tuesday about sending a raw feed to another place where they could commentate over it, like another language or something. Or maybe just for fun like to the DGComedy guy.
Or alternate perspectives! You could send a stream to the secret underground studio at Ladies of the Chains Podcast. . .

It is funny, because this is the model that we have kinda been using since 2012. It is just now that many other places are feeling the financial pressure to go this route as well.

OH, and bicycling races have like $200K to put on 4 day broadcasts. WOW. Time to up our rates. hahaha.

Would it be possible to have a feed that is just the raw sound and just be able to hear the sounds from the course? I don't know about others, but part of my problem with live is that I can only listen to the commentators for so long before I get sick of hearing them (even the ones that I like a lot).

A raw feed where others can commentate? How about a mystery science theater 3000 version? Oh wait. That would be that live chat with voices. Lol

I've put a lot of thought into this. You need one of 2 things.
1. Wiring camera drops to different parts of the course. The problem with this is running thousands of feet of cable to locations. Not only is it expensive, but getting that cable to the course.

2. Wireless transmitters. This is difficult because most reasonable priced ones require a line of site. Which does no one any good at most of our best wooded courses. Wireless doesn't travel thru trees very well. So you would need to elevate the transmitter and receiver above the treeline. To do all of this at a public park would require a few additional days of work, then you probably need to have security to protect your equipment from theft during the day and overnight. And possibly permits to erect all this stuff.

So right now, for all intensive purposes cellular is our most reasonable option. The expansive nature of our sport is also what is holding us back.

Putting wires on a disc golf course sounds bad, whether it's underground or not.

Erecting temporary towers doesn't sound great either.

Later on in the thread someone said "blimp", but would a balloon with a mobile 4G base station do the trick? Height wouldn't be a problem, LOS is better than a tower. You bring it down and pack it up every day so it's more secure than the tower. Is that just a crazy idea?

Putting wires on a disc golf course sounds bad, whether it's underground or not.

Later on in the thread someone said "blimp", but would a balloon with a mobile 4G base station do the trick? Height wouldn't be a problem, LOS is better than a tower. You bring it down and pack it up every day so it's more secure than the tower. Is that just a crazy idea?

It worked in the late 19th and early 20th centuries for artillery spotting. Why not! What's old is new again!

There's several tech companies trying to come up with ways to provide broad band through that method, I mean on a much bigger scale though, and higher up, but. That isn't a bad idea at all with a blimp or balloon or something.

There's several tech companies trying to come up with ways to provide broad band through that method, I mean on a much bigger scale though, and higher up, but. That isn't a bad idea at all with a blimp or balloon or something.

I said blimps...but since then ive been thinking about...drones. An array of drones arranged in 3d space to provide direct line of sight transmission?

Latest posts