• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Tour Championship Moves to Charlottte

I'm 90 minutes from Emporia, and don't consider it a dig. Both towns are "meccas" for disc golf, but you're comparing a metro area of over 2 million people with two major sports teams to a college town in Kansas barely 1% of it's size. If it weren't for disc golf, about all I'd do in Emporia is gas up my car and pee on the way to Kansas City.

Emporia is not a Mecca for disc golf. There are two in the USA; Charlotte and MSP. I leave open the possibility that a Scandinavian Mecca exists.

I wasn't saying assess only the throw. Another skill which would be tested is the ability to assess the situation in the moment using depth perception, reading the leaves on the trees, etc. Playing smart and playing to your strengths would still come into play, as would sticking to a plan (but it would be more of a meta-plan).

Making judgements on the fly is a different skill than arriving weeks early and throwing each shot 100 times to calculate the best odds. (For example, it comes into play when the wind blows the other way than it did in practice.) If variety in courses is good as a way to illuminate all corners of the skill sets, maybe variety in preparation is also good.

That would be different, but not necessarily better. Being able to walk the course and get to know where the hidden trees and lines are allows players to throw much better shots. It'd also be terribly unfair for those who throw a good shot based on their sight from the tee that flies directly into a tree you can't see from the tee, or a terrible lie that no one could possibly have known from the tee.

I'd be more interested in the best throwers on the world walking a course but not being able to play it ahead of time. Maybe it's put into the ground 1hr before the first tee time and everyone has a chance to walk it or something.

Even with that, I still prefer the current format. I'd love multiple courses, multiple pins, etc. That'd force players to change up their styles a lot. Playing the same course three times isn't as fun for the championship. Trouble is, it's hard to find a city with multiple championship level courses that are great for viewers. Charlotte is a great place for that though.

I am sorry if this has been posted already. DGPT Tour Director Jeff Spring talks about new management and changes to the DGPT Championship by Johnny Disc golf.

Emporia is not a Mecca for disc golf. There are two in the USA; Charlotte and MSP. I leave open the possibility that a Scandinavian Mecca exists.

I agree, Minneapolis/St Paul is a meaca and an older one dating back to the early parts of the sport before the PDGA existed as the DGA.

Southern California in and around LA might be one too due to the courses and the fact the first disc golf courses with chain baskets were installed in mid 1970's and the company that made the first non lid mass produced disc golf disc is in the same area.

But if you are talking in terms of just a disc golf club then yes the two you mentioned are the only palaces with big disc golf clubs and then a number of them in the Minneapolis St Paul area has a bunch in a addition to the big ones.

Last edited:
No it wasn't, Auburn, Maine was wasn't it?

At any rate not only are TX courses overrated they lack the history and culture of MN and NC.

I miss Circle R real bad. Anyway, I'm playing in the 42 Annual Waterloo Disc Golf Classic next month. It was never played on a permanent course to my knowledge and is no longer held in it's original location. That said the history and culture are in the disc golf community not the course itself. WE are THEY.

Southern California in and around LA might be one too due to the courses and the fact the first disc golf courses with chain baskets were installed in mid 1970's and the company that made the first non lid mass produced disc golf disc is in the same area.

SoCal disc golf sucks. it might be an important place in terms of history being the home of Oak Grove and Innova but the courses are overwhelmingly not great. there's not enough room, the courses are crammed into little public parks with lots of interference, and the land is what's left over after all the good stuff gets used for housing developments and strip malls ($hitty and boring).

and i'm not just a hater. i was born and raised in LA

SoCal disc golf sucks. it might be an important place in terms of history being the home of Oak Grove and Innova but the courses are overwhelmingly not great. there's not enough room, the courses are crammed into little public parks with lots of interference, and the land is what's left over after all the good stuff gets used for housing developments and strip malls ($hitty and boring).

Have to agree, I was able to play la Mirada this summer and it reminded me of a pretty standard park course that are plentiful in other parts of the country

exactly, and that's their "best" course

*disclaimer* haven't been to sky high, that seems to look pretty legit

I was also talking about some of the other courses outside LA in SoCal, the one that is used in the Disc Golf Pro Tour or PDGA National Tour Da-Laveaga wth the Steady Ed Masters Cup, and other early courses like that that are better then in LA for 99% of those original outdated courses by the time the Areo and Aviar came out. In LA I was going to guess these courses Stunk, some even by using the catch disc of the day.

Nice to see the Pro Tour moving to Charlotte from Emporium, having been through that town Emporium for something else, it is like the rest of the US part of the Plains.

Last edited:
I was also talking about some of the other courses outside LA in SoCal, the one that is used in the Disc Golf Pro Tour or PDGA National Tour Da-Laveaga wth the Steady Ed Masters Cup, and other early courses like that that are better then in LA for 99% of those original outdated courses by the time the Areo and Aviar came out. In LA I was going to guess these courses Stunk, some even by using the catch disc of the day.

Nice to see the Pro Tour moving to Charlotte from Emporium, having been through that town Emporium for something else, it is like the rest of the US part of the Plains.

I let it slide a few times but enough is enough. The disc is called the AERO not AREO! A disc not a knockoff cookie!

Go to Google Maps, enter Santa Cruz, California (where Delaveaga is located) and then use that knowledge to explain how that place is in SoCal. :rolleyes:

Then turn off your auto-correct.

yeah, NorCal is where the courses that people care about are.

i certainly haven't played a ton of SoCal courses but the ones i have are supposed to be among the better ones and i'm not impressed. i haven't played any of the north county SD courses but some of those are newer and have good reviews. but you can't really trust a SoCal reviewer. well, unless they've traveled of course... there are a few good ones