• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"DG's Grey Area"-The Mid-Range Game

NateDiscFlip

Double Eagle Member
I hate having the feeling of never seeming to need to pull my esp buzzz out of the bag. I use a cyclone or stalker for longer shots (cause they can take the snap with dependable finishes), and a rhyno or aviar for shorter approach shots(due to their str8 flight and soft landing).;)

I use the buzzz for longer gradual anhyzers(300) that need to finish soft right, or shorter(200ft) shots that finish to the left.....which lately, is done with the discs listed above...It is as if the buzzz is just too fast, but just too slow, and just too str8, and so workable that it is just too tough to judge....I love the disc, but seem to only carry it in the bag for sentimental value....I have tried other plastics....and a pure mid-range is a pure mid-range:\

Now for beginners or night golf rounds requiring one disc...nothing beats a buzzz or a roc. But for the rest of the time....:confused:

Anyone else troubled by pure mid ranges?

I carry aviars, buzzz's, and teebirds and I don't have a problem with the distances the buzzz gets for me. The distance gaps to me are perfect and each disc gets used because of how far I can throw it and the stability needed.

I also have an element that gets used heavily for turnovers and hyzer flips for times that I need those lines.

I use my Element and Warrior combo very frequently. Discing down taught me to use mids, and I see no reason to get rid of them.

anything of a tunnel shot or tightly wooded from 240' to 300' I use my buzz, I have found that I am using it less now that I carry stalkers. I can see your dilemma as I use a forehand for almost anything that finishes right over 200'. Putters are amazing and extremely versatile. In Ohio I find a lot of low ceiling shots where I can't get my putter there at less than 10' off the ground. This is where my buzz gets the most use.

I had the same issue about a year ago. I carried no midranges at all in my bag. I learned to throw a putter out to 275 or so and figured I could jsut as well use that for distances that far and less. Over that I would use a driver. I just really didn't see the point. That is until I got a Buzzz after reading this site and learned to throw mids with less power and have better accuracy, especially on low ceiling shots. Now, I don't think I could not use them. I played a round the other day and only used my Buzzz on two throws, but that thing is not leaving my bag.

Can mids be thought of as faster, glidier putters? And if so, can they be used more effectively on lower lines?

I had the same issue about a year ago. I carried no midranges at all in my bag. I learned to throw a putter out to 275 or so and figured I could jsut as well use that for distances that far and less. Over that I would use a driver. I just really didn't see the point. That is until I got a Buzzz after reading this site and learned to throw mids with less power and have better accuracy, especially on low ceiling shots. Now, I don't think I could not use them. I played a round the other day and only used my Buzzz on two throws, but that thing is not leaving my bag.

the buzzz can make almost every shot...but then you and I only use it when we absolutely have to. You probably have a softer touch on the disc, which is a huge advantage. I feel like I am deadly with it when it is the only disc in my hand, but is the last piece in the bag that I go to. I just have to be able to throw the buzzz with an anhyzer with distance, precisely, and more consistently.

buzzz???? thinking maybe an esp tracker instead:\

hmmmmm?:confused:

Can mids be thought of as faster, glidier putters? And if so, can they be used more effectively on lower lines?

#2 from the longs at oshtemo is a perfect design and length anhyzer for a buzzz drive(347ft). I like a buzzz, because there is a lower ceiling, and the shot is on the perfect full pull anhyzer line....It is a tough ace because the right side narrows with scattered trees near the basket, so I can almost ace it with a surgeSS Z or a Stalker. But because the thick is nasty and the lane is only about 30 feet wide, so I try to stay conservative. I go with the buzzz and usually am at a 20-30 foot put....

Buzzz can take sharper and long anhyzers too, but you have to hyzer snap and aim them correctly.....

But on lower hyzer lines, it is hard to gauge the disc because it glides so freely...

Like all low stability discs, you better know them, or they are in the woods...and the buzzz is a great putter:)

decisions, decisions...

I can't decide whether this is a thread about mid-ranges or buzzzes. I also don't share the problem, but I'm not a big arm, so holes where y'all are driving with putters, I'm probably driving with my midrange discs. And I'd also rather throw my approach shots with my midranges than with putters. It may be just a matter of what disc a person happens to feel comfortable with, and therefore practices more with, and therefore becomes even more comfortable with, etc.

I can't decide whether this is a thread about mid-ranges or buzzzes. I also don't share the problem, but I'm not a big arm, so holes where y'all are driving with putters, I'm probably driving with my midrange discs. And I'd also rather throw my approach shots with my midranges than with putters. It may be just a matter of what disc a person happens to feel comfortable with, and therefore practices more with, and therefore becomes even more comfortable with, etc.

my apologies...I was speaking more of any balanced mid range disc like a buzz or roc

zero too .5 left in discraft stability terms

I've been feeling a little weird about mids lately. In that I haven't been using any this summer and often find myself wishing I still had one. I was using 4 rocs but am trying just putters as approaches and using a TL and Leopard to learn good form.

It almost sounds like you sticking to the same courses and almost have a comfort factor going.. The Buzzz is ALWAYS my safety disc. And I also just got a Meteor, which Im REALLY liking for those tight wooded shots where the Buzzz just cant do it. And I find the Meteor flies a tad bit farther...

I've been feeling a little weird about mids lately. In that I haven't been using any this summer and often find myself wishing I still had one. I was using 4 rocs but am trying just putters as approaches and using a TL and Leopard to learn good form.

I still think I need mine...but just hate needing something I so rarely use...like almost never...it's more like a utility disc I use for making conservative shots..funny...one of my aces is with a buzzz...all cause I was trying to show a buddy how to release flat on a 215 ft str8 on hole...just happens...buzzz is about finesse...I need to just take it out for a round by itself and reestablish it's ability...very muscle memory type of discs when using them:thmbup:

My mid game is terrible. I am tempted to take the Buzzz out of my bag because I rarely throw it. I need to play a couple rounds with only mids.

As I throw it better I find I use putters a lot mote than mids. My buzzz saves me often after some bad drives or as a driver. Wasp is money of the tee for short holes.

I'm in the same boat Tstack. I used to throw mids a lot more, but as I became more comfortable with putters they took over the shots my mids used to be brought out for. These days I view my Buzz more as a control driver than anything else, used anywhere from 250'-375' depending on elevation, ceiling height etc. Easy to put on various lines and little fade to compensate for, and cuts a low line better than my Wizards.

I'd recommend everyone take out all their drivers and play with just mids and putters for a casual round. Use the mids for all your drives, just to see what you're capable of doing with them and to see just how much extra distance that Teebird really gets you. I know I've been surprised a few times with the results.

I'm in the same boat Tstack. I used to throw mids a lot more, but as I became more comfortable with putters they took over the shots my mids used to be brought out for. These days I view my Buzz more as a control driver than anything else, used anywhere from 250'-375' depending on elevation, ceiling height etc. Easy to put on various lines and little fade to compensate for, and cuts a low line better than my Wizards.

I'd recommend everyone take out all their drivers and play with just mids and putters for a casual round. Use the mids for all your drives, just to see what you're capable of doing with them and to see just how much extra distance that Teebird really gets you. I know I've been surprised a few times with the results.

At night, I am light's out with a Z buzzz with a bobber light. If forced just to use the buzzz, I can tear it up...but I am limited. Control driver is probably the best way to look at it. I just need to force myself to remain consistent with the disc...sounds like a solo buzzz round coming up

I throw mostly putters and mids (Polecats, Wizards and Rocs). When I feel like it is too long for a mid (usually above 300') I will throw a fairway driver (Leopard or Teebird). On wide open holes up to 350ish feet I will probably reach for my mid.

It has to be really wide open and really long for me to reach for something faster than a Teebird. I have one course that has a 450' wide open hole that has about 15' of eleveation drop. I almost always throw my Teebird at it and I usually get somewhere within 30-50'. The few times I have used a distance driver (OLF, Illusion, Boss, Wraith, Destroyer, Valkyrie are the most likely suspects) I have not hit my LZ. I will be the first to admit that I am not nearly as familiar with my distance drivers as I am with my Teebirds and Leopards so that probably plays a huge factor in my selection.

I would be severely handicapped if I did not have my mids.

Latest posts