• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Difference between a 1000 rated round and a 1000 rated player?

And you're right some sports are better suited to women performing better (Danica Patrick - NASCAR, INDY).

Yes Danica is a really good example. Shirley Muldowney of drag racing also comes to mind. Apparently there are also women who have won the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska.

Yes Danica is a really good example. Shirley Muldowney of drag racing also comes to mind. Apparently there are also women who have won the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska.

yes, and my Annika example was just that, and example...she didn't do well and didn't compete at that level very long. Danica has raced with the elite for many seasons now...showing she's got what it takes to compete at that level, or that she's a marketing gimmick. :D :popcorn:

Currently, the average rating of the top 10 women in the world (~950) is not yet equal to the average rating of the top 10 Sr. Grandmaster men 60+ years old (~975). However, the average winnings of these women in 2014 was ~$8000 versus ~$1400 for the Sr. GMs.

Currently, the average rating of the top 10 women in the world (~950) is not yet equal to the average rating of the top 10 Sr. Grandmaster men 60+ years old (~975). However, the average winnings of these women in 2014 was ~$8000 versus ~$1400 for the Sr. GMs.

That average winnings says a lot though, that we value the women open players and/or there are more women open players. Both scenarios are good imo.

yes, and my Annika example was just that, and example...she didn't do well and didn't compete at that level very long. Danica has raced with the elite for many seasons now...showing she's got what it takes to compete at that level, or that she's a marketing gimmick. :D :popcorn:

Annika did, however, manage to beat some of the men in the 2003 Colonial, the one PGA tour (men's) event she played in. She wasn't likely to win, and didn't make the cut, but she played respectably on the same course, with the same challenges, and somewhat greater pressure, vs. the men.

Annika gets nicked for not winning, but Danica, whose only win came because the leader ran out of gas and not because she outraced him, doesn't? If she were a man, Danica would've lost her seat long before she moved to NASCAR. She wouldn't have even been on the Andretti's radar for them to give her a competitive car either. She's always had a faster car than everybody but can't put together a true victory.

She's absolutely a marketing gimmick, and there's clearly only room for one of those. Look at Sarah Fisher's, who was a more decorated driver before entering the series, IRL time. Better driver, no press...no seat!

Annika gets nicked for not winning, but Danica, whose only win came because the leader ran out of gas and not because she outraced him, doesn't? If she were a man, Danica would've lost her seat long before she moved to NASCAR. She wouldn't have even been on the Andretti's radar for them to give her a competitive car either. She's always had a faster car than everybody but can't put together a true victory.

She's absolutely a marketing gimmick, and there's clearly only room for one of those. Look at Sarah Fisher's, who was a more decorated driver before entering the series, IRL time. Better driver, no press...no seat!

Just not as attractive/camera-worthy...:D

Not that there's anything wrong with that. The women are have better form overall, and they're more graceful on the course/court. They're also closer to the average person's game. Nothing wrong with things they way they are, it's just reality.

The "women have better form" thing gets repeated here often, and I don't know why. The only FPO player I see with fantastic form is paige. The rest of the best FPO players don't have that great of form.

The difference is, they are capable of throwing much higher than 1000, which is required to maintain a 1000 rating.

I think the ladies have a distinct disadvantage with putts outside the circle. If Paige were strong enough to jump-putt like the top males players can (those 60' to 120' jump-putts), she could make up the 3 or so strokes she would need to get to 1000. Paige certainly drives well enough to be 1000 rated.

Back to the topic, 1000 rated means you have to average 1000 rated rounds. For every 980 round, you have to offset it with a 1020. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Obviously, the answer is consistency. I'm capable of putting up 1010-1020 rounds, but that only happens 3 times a year. Now, what am I missing to gain that consistency? I miss 3 putts inside the circle every round, and I probably miss 3 more from between 30-45 that top pros might make. So there's 50+ points there. Then if I could turn a few of those drives that land 50' short into 15' putts, there's 20 more points. I see the same thing with the women. They're generally good enough to get par on the hard holes, but they can't quite get over the hump to get the extra birdies that the top guys get. They aren't as consistent with their 25-30' putts, they rarely get 40' putts, and they can't reach the 400' holes. If they were able to do all of those, they could move up to the 1020+ range, which is reserved for very few players.

Numbers game:
Paige Pierce, with one of the highest player ratings in women's history at 974 (93 rounds), has 15 rounds rated above 1000. She also has 15 rounds rated below 950. Obviously she's capable of shooting hot rounds when all her putts are falling and her drives are piercing the fairway (pun!), but she doesn't do it consistently enough. If your best round is going to be 1030, you need your worst rounds to stay above the 970 range to average out to 1000. Your putting needs to be good enough that when your drives aren't clicking, you'll still get 970 rounds. Your driving needs to be good enough that when your putts aren't falling, you'll still get 970 rounds. And when neither your drives nor putts are working, well, hopefully that doesn't happen too often.

Are y'all suggesting that women tend to get to a 970 rating with a different skill set than men tend to get to a 970 rating? Is it then possible to get to a 1000 rating with a different skill set, or are there certain talents, such as the suggested "power" element, that you can't do without?

Lol x50. The question should be this: which happens first, a woman disc golfer gets a 1000 rating or a woman disc golfer ever replies to (or even reads) this thread?

I think a big reason why there aren't any 1000 rated women is that there are barely any women who play disc golf. And I think an elegant symbol of why there are barely any women who play disc golf is threads like this one.

As a guy, for me, this thread is neither here nor there. But I'm copying a link to it for the next time I read another hand-wringing "why don't more women want to play disc golf?" thread in this forum or hear another "we just can't get any women to register for tournaments" rant on DGAM or SmashBoxx.

Are y'all suggesting that women tend to get to a 970 rating with a different skill set than men tend to get to a 970 rating? Is it then possible to get to a 1000 rating with a different skill set, or are there certain talents, such as the suggested "power" element, that you can't do without?

I dunno about anybody else, but I don't think so. The top 5 or so FPO players on the planet look just like any other 950-975 rated amateur man.

The "women have better form" thing gets repeated here often, and I don't know why. The only FPO player I see with fantastic form is paige. The rest of the best FPO players don't have that great of form.

Well, I would agree with that in disc golf, most of the top MPO and FPO forms are pretty similar - some who are textbook, some who are pretty on point, and some who are a bit off but get it done anyway.

The part of my statement you quoted, though, was referring to professional ball golf and tennis - and I hold to that statement. The women in those sports have cleaner form than their male counterparts, overall - because they have to in order to generate the power and consistency they have.

To relate it to the topic at hand, when (if?) disc golf catches up and has women who are top athletes with perfect form, those women will be 1000 rated.

I think a big reason why there aren't any 1000 rated women is that there are barely any women who play disc golf. And I think an elegant symbol of why there are barely any women who play disc golf is threads like this one.

QFT!

Latest posts