• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Dino Discs - Stegosaurus

It was just a way to make a line of kids discs at an affordable price.

Affordable might be a reach......ordered a stegosaurus for my son..... almost $15 with shipping.

But it's an awesome idea, and hopefully the disc works out. It sure looked neat In the pictures.

I'll report back here once we get to play with it!

There are 3 other Dino Discs listed online now. The Pterodactylus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, and Brachiosaurus.

SEE THEM HERE

And no, it is not at all a way to flex on any other brand. Dinosaurs are just a thing that kids find "cool" and these aren't being PDGA approved by these names. They are all made with existing ABC disc molds and molded with plastic by Zing. It was just a way to make a line of kids discs at an affordable price.

The Stego is an awesome disc and no disrespect is intended by including the popular dinosaur, Stegosaurus.

The only "flexing" will be your 8-year-old flexing a 120 gram Tyrannosaurus Rex across the fairway for 125 feet :)

Plastic by Zing? as in the micro hand flick discs company that first came out in the mid 1990's?

There are 3 other Dino Discs listed online now. The Pterodactylus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, and Brachiosaurus.

SEE THEM HERE

And no, it is not at all a way to flex on any other brand. Dinosaurs are just a thing that kids find "cool" and these aren't being PDGA approved by these names. They are all made with existing ABC disc molds and molded with plastic by Zing. It was just a way to make a line of kids discs at an affordable price.

The Stego is an awesome disc and no disrespect is intended by including the popular dinosaur, Stegosaurus.

The only "flexing" will be your 8-year-old flexing a 120 gram Tyrannosaurus Rex across the fairway for 125 feet :)

If these aren't pdga approved, then I'm a lot less upset for RDG. I realize that there are only so many cool dinosaur names and something like Suzhousaurus or Kosmoceratops doesn't really warm fuzzy Jurassic Park vibes. But there are plenty of other good names that wouldn't overlap with something so infamous as our beloved Stego!

If these aren't pdga approved, then I'm a lot less upset for RDG. I realize that there are only so many cool dinosaur names and something like Suzhousaurus or Kosmoceratops doesn't really warm fuzzy Jurassic Park vibes. But there are plenty of other good names that wouldn't overlap with something so infamous as our beloved Stego!

They are approved under a different name

They are approved under a different name

I was thinking that the light weight might make it un-approved. But looking at the Tech Specs for this discs I see no mention of a minimum weight. Based on that there is no reason the imposter stego couldn't be use in PDGA play, right?

I was thinking that the light weight might make it un-approved. But looking at the Tech Specs for this discs I see no mention of a minimum weight. Based on that there is no reason the imposter stego couldn't be use in PDGA play, right?

I don't think there is a minimum weight requirement for a mold. These Dino Discs have the ABC names as part of the molds on the bottom of the discs. But because they are in a plastic by Zing Minis, they come our really light and fly differently than the original molds. Once you drop from 170's to 120's it makes a huge difference. They'll probably follow the same flight pattern as the ABC discs when thrown by a little kid...just not nearly as far. :)

It will be interesting to get feedback since it was a collaborative effort to make these discs. ABC, Zing, and us at Infinite want to see if it works out as hoped. If not, then at least we gave it a shot. We get a lot of requests for ultra lightweight discs and they seem hard to come by at times.

NOTE: From throwing a speed-14 Tyrannosaurus Rex, they are definitely a lot more flippy at 119g than I could ever find useful as an adult. Almost flipped over twice. haha!

I don't think there is a minimum weight requirement for a mold. These Dino Discs have the ABC names as part of the molds on the bottom of the discs. But because they are in a plastic by Zing Minis, they come our really light and fly differently than the original molds. Once you drop from 170's to 120's it makes a huge difference. They'll probably follow the same flight pattern as the ABC discs when thrown by a little kid...just not nearly as far. :)

It will be interesting to get feedback since it was a collaborative effort to make these discs. ABC, Zing, and us at Infinite want to see if it works out as hoped. If not, then at least we gave it a shot. We get a lot of requests for ultra lightweight discs and they seem hard to come by at times.

NOTE: From throwing a speed-14 Tyrannosaurus Rex, they are definitely a lot more flippy at 119g than I could ever find useful as an adult. Almost flipped over twice. haha!

There is not because some 90 Gram Wham-O Fastback discs are PDGA approved since they came out with the lightweight Guts version of the Wham-O Fastback in 1973 a year or two after the mold was created. The mold predate the PDGA but they passed the modern rules due to PDGA making the modern rules to fit most Existing molds that were what most people used for Disc Golf like all the Wham-O molds, the Discraft freestyle molds made at the time in 1977 and the early Discraft Ultrastar made from 1980 until PDGA was made, Version without the flight rings.

I'm excited to give these a whirl. I have a stegosaurus on its way, and will likely get a brachiosaurus if it goes well. My 5 year old has really been enjoying playing with me, and finding discs that really work well for him was tough. I was lucky to stumble into a 113g polecat and a 137 stingray for him. He loves throwing the polecat. He can rip the stingray pretty good too, but prefers the polecat. It's nice to see discs made with kids In mind.

So I get that everybody is giving a free pass on the naming similarities since the discs are light and designed for kids...

What happens though when the parties involved start benefitting from more than just the disc sales themselves? Free passes still gonna be given out?

I guess I don't follow what you mean?

Johnny plays disc golf for the first time with his friend from school Billy. Johnny asks his mom to buy him some cool dinosaur discs like Billy had.

Mom goes online to find Johnny's dinosaur discs and can only find them at Infinite. She thinks maybe the rest of the family might like it too, so she orders a few other discs so they can play together.

Let's not be naive...read enough around here and a huge component of "grow the sport" is getting kids involved. More people playing equals more potential customers. Building brand loyalty early leads to lots of repeat business.

It's a great idea, don't get me wrong. I just think it's a massive party foul to use names so close to existing ones. Obviously I can't speak for the relationship between everybody involved, but I'd expect that these won't be available any place aside from Infinite?

I get that it's not an identical disc, but the fact that they have now three discs share partial names with RDG discs is not a great look. There are plenty of other dinosaur names to use. Triceratops, Spinosaurus, Plesiosaur... just pick different ones.

"This is a maximum distance driver with a wide rim. So, even though it is very lightweight, it might be more difficult for very small children to get it up to speed."

No **** lol

I'll be grabbing one of the mids for my 4 yr old next order I make. Cheap and in a flecked plastic, with a dino stamp... why didn't anyone else think of this? Oh wait they kind of did oops.

"This is a maximum distance driver with a wide rim. So, even though it is very lightweight, it might be more difficult for very small children to get it up to speed."

No **** lol

Yeah, max d driver rims are big enough for my adult male hands. Couldn't imagine my 5year old grabbing a speed 14 driver regardless of it's weight.

Although, I thought it could be a fun one for me.....I used to bag a completey thrashed 140g dx leopard for awhile as a trick shot disc. Buttttt. No. Just ordered the stegosaurus for now. Will look at the brachiosaurus later on too if this one goes well.

The stegosaurus that I ordered for my son came in yesterday. A day earlier than was expected, which was nice. We spent some time throwing it around the yard. Here are my thoughts.

First, the background. My son is 5. His usual discs are a 113g polecat and a 137g stingray. His best distance usually comes from that polecat. He can get it a little over 100' on a good throw, averages probably 80'. Form is, obviously, sporadic at best.

He was mashing this thing 100' consistently,and many throws went well over it. I know he broke his distance bests easily multiple times. One throw in particular was still 7' in the air and zinging at over 100' when I caught it.....wanted to let it fly but it was on a beeline for the side of my brand new truck haha. He also seemed to have a higher percentage of "good" throws with it, compared to the polecat we usually play catch with. Maybe it was just a good form night or maybe there is something to the disc.

Flight was awesome for his power level. It was going pretty much dead straight and ending in a tiny fade. I was worried a little about the flight numbers, but the listed numbers aren't even close. It seems like a "fast" disc. Compared to both his other discs, this thing seemed to be just zooming out of his hand, covering ground fast.

I liked the plastic. Decently grippy. Already picked up some dings from a few hits into the garage, clothes line pole, and a fire ring. But nothing worse than his dx polecat.

Overall, I was impressed with it. It's definitely gonna be his new go to disc. And he LOVES the looks of it! Despite the concerns I have with the naming conventions (diehard Stego lover here) I think Dino is on to something good!

Latest posts