• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc bag critique

mytern

I saw this thread and thought it was awesome. its a cool way for beginners to get input of more experienced players on whats going on in their bag. I'm wondering what you guys think of my current selection. I know its not great, and theres probably flaws/holes/overlaps.

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: approx. 8 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: rhbh, rhoh, rhfh. mostly just rhbh though
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: 150/210/280(rough est.)
Distances are rough estimates, haven't found a really good flat field to practice and test this. estimates are based off holes with less elevation/decline. for putter im not sure as I don't really drive my putter, the rim catches my finger a lot and sends it right. this may change though as I am trying out new grips for driving mids and putters

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: elbow tendonitis, occasional rotator cuff soreness
Other sport proficiencies?: baseball/softball, football
Additional Information: still learning, be nice :)
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I like my current bag, just curious what other people think
Specific areas of desired feedback: anything unnecessary, overlapping or poor choice in disc, shallow rimmed "driving putter"
Immediate and long-term goals: immediate- become more consistent in all aspects, better long range putts, find a "driving putter" that suits me

Bag:
Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
171 z nuke, used, backup/extra throws, secondary RHFH driver
170 champ sidewinder, used, backup/extra throws
167 star tern, slightly used, main driver for anything longer and straight
167 esp avenger ss, new, similar to tern in terms of use
175 star destroyer, used, main RHFH driver, thrown pretty much only RHFH

Mids:
170 esp buzzz, new, main mid range, used for drives on short holes either straight or with an anhyzer line
178 ti buzzz, used, was main mid range/mid driver til I got the esp. used mainly for s curve drives and hyzer routes
169 dx roc, new, extra throws while im getting the hang of it and its use for me. short hole mid drives
176 dx wolf, new, also extra throws. mixing in with short holes that have a straight line then anhyzer route to the hole

Putters:
172 proton anode, main putter. driving putter when im feeling saucy

I know I probably have 1-2 overlaps in the mids, and drivers. before I got the wolf I wanted a mid I could throw straight a little and have it flip, I got the wolf then a week later got the esp buzzz as a gift. that created an overlap there as I can throw the esp buzzz and make it hold an anhyzer route, the ti does more of an s-curve. the roc I picked up because everyone praises them, wanted to see the hype. I enjoy it but feels somewhere between my two buzzzes(?) so it kind of feels unnecessary.

the z nuke I will probably take out when I find something to take its spot. I barely use it now that the destroyer is the perfect RHFH disc for me.

other options I have laying to the side at home are:
165 ti mantis from ace race, 169 dx valkyrie(found told to keep), 139 blz champ katana(found no info), 177 dx stingray, 175 dx cheetah, 176 some innova mid from 2010 Delaware disc golf championship(found no info), 171 dx aviar

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: 150/210/280(rough est.)
If you are only throwing this far then I would take all of these out until you can get your Buzzz past like 280-300.

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
171 z nuke, used, backup/extra throws, secondary RHFH driver
170 champ sidewinder, used, backup/extra throws
167 star tern, slightly used, main driver for anything longer and straight
167 esp avenger ss, new, similar to tern in terms of use
175 star destroyer, used, main RHFH driver, thrown pretty much only RHFH

if you want some kind of driver in there stick to stuff speed 8 and slower, something like a Banshee, Teebird, Leopard. but honestly if you want to improve your game immnsely, stick to the mids and putters for awhile and build the speed in your bag up as your distance improves. basically a speed 10+ isn't needed in anyones bag that cant throw past 330-350 with a fairway.

I'm hoping that with me trying a power grip on my mids that I will start to add that distance. What you said is pretty much what I figured I would hear and already had it in my mind I'm shooting my Buzzz and putter from here on out til I improve that distance and keep it consistent. I was previously using more of a fan grip to drive mids cause I have bigger hands so trying to grip my mids like drivers was uncomfortable. I threw that grip last time I was out and it started to feel ok. Got my first ace on my first throw with the power grip on a mid. 201 foot hole and I easily could have shot past the basket which is on flat ground, so I may be able to get that distance. I have to get to a football field and toss around to figure out more accurate distances. Either way I'm going mids and putter for my near future rounds

The Buzzz and Rocs do overlap a tad. There is pretty much a war between the Buzzz and Roc. I am a discraft midrange kind of guy.

I agree what smyith said regarding your drivers. Nuke is way to much disc for noodle arms like me and you to throw. I just recently dropped all my high speed drivers and invested in a TeeBird, Leopard, FireBird to learn how to throw those. It has been to cold but excited to give the lower speed a try and am optimistic that it will work out.

They are similar but I still think they feel a tad different. The ti Buzzz seems to bite back hard and kind of early, where the Roc seems to slowly fade out and have the s-curve later than the Buzzz when thrown anhyzer. It's crazy the difference between esp and ti Buzzz. I have my sidewinder for low speed driver if needed but I might get a teebird soon to throw and Leo them with my mids in the bag. Any specific plastic I should get over others for the teebird?

You will really benefit from a true fairway driver. You might not notice much of a difference between a Tern and a Eagle/River/Teebird at this stage in your game but as you learn to throw longer there will be a noticeable gap. think of a 300 ft shot that needs to fade left and you can throw your destroyer 330...will you power down and still use a destroyer or would you rather throw a disc that you know will go that distance when you let it rip.

Not to mention the benefits of learning driving with slower discs for the added control and form advantages.

I actually had a teebird that I traded my friend for his destroyer cause I flicked it really well and he didn't like it. I rarely used the teebird cause I was just throwing my Buzzz for anything somewhat short. I'll grab another though and check it out again

Like others have said, ditch the Nuke. I'd dump the Roc and Wolf and learn the Buzzz inside and out. Check out a (Rival/Teebird/Eagle/Servo/Leopard/River) for a workable fairway.

Work on driving with a putter, it's a good way to reveal form flaws.

What about a good driving putter? I have yet to try the new grip on putters from a tee, it worked well with my mids. But the main problem I have with putters is the big dome with the fan grip I was doing. It would hook on a finger during release. I tried a friend's yeti pro aviar, wasn't too domey so that may be a good driving putter for me to get

As for the mids, I've been throwing my ti Buzzz for months. I feel I know that disc really well, I can throw it hyzer and anhyzer with s curve pretty easily. That's why I got different mids, to try different ones. I'll probably hold off using the Roc and wolf for anything but extra practice throws from tees or if I go to a field. And I think the esp Buzzz will be used way more than the ti. I can hold better and more lines than the ti for me. Ti is taking forever to break in

I use an Opto Pure for drives, but I also putt with Pures so it's familiar to me. I power grip on drives. I think the Anode (and Ion) are actually pretty popular for drives. Maybe just try working with different grips?

What about a good driving putter?

for stable to overstable go with Wizard, KC Aviar, Challenger, Judge, Clozer and the like. you may also like a 400s PA1, I don't find them overstable but they are very straight and fly far.
stable to understable find yourself a good small bead, like a PnA Aviar, Magnet, Clutch, McPro Aviar, Warden, Magic, PA4, etc.

all of those generally have flattish domes or are easy to find with a flat dome. stick to the medium to base plastics (pro/DX for example). you'll get better glide and more versatility imo.

also i don't know MVP very well, but alot of people use their putters for approaches.

Sweet thanks guys. I always heard the anode was a good driving putter so I may pick up a soft one for putts and use the one I have for drives/approach. I really like that putter

I have a feeling if I can get comfortable with gripping them with a power grip, I will be able to throw my putter 200. I was previously able to throw hole 1 at my home course which is 201, but I just stopped driving with them cause of how the lip would grab a finger and go off course. I really wish there were wider rimmed putters and mids, similar to the width of drivers. Anyone know of any? I may also throw the aviar I have in my bag to throw like this too and see how it feels

Finally headed out today for the first time in like two weeks. Threw only my putter for all drives except one with my Buzzz on the only real long hole. I was getting some good shots trying the power grip. Definitely more comfortable and I got my putter to about 220 on a hole that's about 240 and another hole that's about 250 I got it about 200. That hole was a slight uphill shot to the basket. I was satisfied with my round only using that putter. Shot par. It's a short course so I probably should have been under but not bad for the first putter only round. I'm going to continue using it for a while. I really saw how a good throw with a putter or mid can equal a dd when you're still at this stage of learning. Felt like I got really good whip into my throws

stick with Roc's and aviars and like a teebird and leopard. once you throw all those consistently, then maybe add something faster

Wouldn't carry multiple Buzzes and Rocs, but that's your call.

Would go grab a Teebird, bet with the right form you easily outdrive your best current. I would have never learned a backhand at all without it.

As far as wide rimmed driving putters, the widest rimmed, most comfortable putter to drive with that I know of is the Pig. That might start out a bit too stable for you right now, but pro plastic beats in fairly quickly if you hit a few trees. Anyway, check out a Pig sometime if you get a chance. It really is a great driving putter.

The multiple Buzzzes was cause of a gift. The esp will be taking over though as my go to Buzzz. Other than that I will probably keep the Roc in to throw occasionally. And I will definitely take a look at the pig, even though I found a comfortable way to power grip my putters and mids with luck when I went out last, I'm still open to other driving putters. Thank you. A teebird is going to be purchased within the next week