• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc design gimmicks or innovations?

I like the fact that companies seem to be constantly trying to improve plastics if nothing else. The fact that Innova alone now has at least 10 distinct plastics on the market (DX, Pro, KC/JK/Yeti Pro, R-Pro, Glow, Champion, Glo Champ, Star, Echo Star, etc) can only be a good thing. It really allows people to pick and choose exactly what they want and like. I also like that gimmicks happen, even when some of them don't work out so well (Groove/Monarch). Some of them will stick (Champion/Star plastic), and will come to be expected as the industry standard.

Sorry if I'm thread jacking but gyro tech?
And I believe our sport needs companys to try stuff like this. Some works some doesn't but that's with pretty much everything in the world. I mean if not we would all be driving model t's and watching black & white tvs. Lol

don't believe so. They sell discs I don't believe they do any design or manufacturing. Beyond the sweet dyemax jobs.

Your young.
The old Dynamic discs company did manufacture the first full dimple top disc golf discs, I had one.
Unfortunately, the disc were banned by the PDGA because they were too hard.
Like serious hard.
Like, cut your head off hard.
If you got any spurs on it it would cut your hand open when you threw it.
So, no go.

This was long before the current Dynamic Disc company ever existed.
The two companies are in no way affiliated.

A little history passed down to you from the disc golf elders.
Now whose got the damn peace pipe.

Sorry if I'm thread jacking but gyro tech?
And I believe our sport needs companys to try stuff like this. Some works some doesn't but that's with pretty much everything in the world. I mean if not we would all be driving model t's and watching black & white tvs. Lol

GYRO tech is what MVP calls their overmold design. It puts a vast majority of the weight into the rim of the disc, which makes for better spin.
I totally agree that we all need some imagination about new discs, but some of the ideas were hilarious fails for us to enjoy. I guess it does kinda suck for the manufacturers who made them though.

banger gts will never leave my bag, they just feel right in the hand

I also love my Banger GT. I let it rip during some recent field test, and it flew beautifully. I proceeded to crank some OAT and turn onto my Magnets and Zeppelins. I thought a little more about my thumb placement after that, and immediately clued into something...

The circle stamped on Discraft's Elite-Z and ESP is the same diameter as the thumb groove. Go figure. I'm going to pay more attention to my gripping thanks to the GT mold, especially on other discs. :thmbup:

What about innovas xb (I think) that were like a groove only the groove part was on top. Anyone ever throw one?
What was it supposed to do anyway? I'm assuming it failed since they never made it into production

The golf disc was perfected in the panther. All discs released since the panther are just gimmicks.

One thing that changed the game was the wide rim drivers. From the early 80s till the late 90s, tech went from Avairs and XDs to Vipers as far as the rims were concerned.

The Thumbtrac on the Birdie putters and the Zyphers made a change. I have both Birdie Putters and Zyphers before the Thumbtrac was added. That did change the grip and how they fly.

What about the grip pads on Lat 64 putters? Never seen one ibn person but it seems like it would feel nice coming out of the hand...gimmick or is it actually useful?

What about the grip pads on Lat 64 putters? Never seen one ibn person but it seems like it would feel nice coming out of the hand...gimmick or is it actually useful?

It improves the grip, pretty useful if its wet out. Also each pad is a different "grit" which is interesting.

I never got the thumb dimple design behind Ching discs. Juju putters, Velocity etc. Supposedly what slot you put your thumb in effects the flight. If that's the case, couldn't they have just put it on the stamp instead of physically molding it into the disc?

Your young.
The old Dynamic discs company did manufacture the first full dimple top disc golf discs, I had one.
Unfortunately, the disc were banned by the PDGA because they were too hard.
Like serious hard.
Like, cut your head off hard.
If you got any spurs on it it would cut your hand open when you threw it.
So, no go.

This was long before the current Dynamic Disc company ever existed.
The two companies are in no way affiliated.

A little history passed down to you from the disc golf elders.
Now whose got the damn peace pipe.

actually I'm not that young and after I replied to him I laid in bed thinking I bet he meant the old school dynamic discs and then remembered he was right they had the old dimple design. I was going to get back on my laptop to say so but figured by then someone would have already and I was tired.

The crosshatching on the Impact was not for grip. The theory is that the crosshatching alters how air and friction goes over the disc and the lines displace air, thus creating glide. I think it's incredibly gimmicky, and for it to actually be true, it should be tested on other currently made discs.

"GIMMICKY" or not, I love that disc.

I never got the thumb dimple design behind Ching discs. Juju putters, Velocity etc. Supposedly what slot you put your thumb in effects the flight. If that's the case, couldn't they have just put it on the stamp instead of physically molding it into the disc?

I didn't understand it, either, until I realized that the thumb molds were different distances away from the rim.

I thought it was to find a better grip, honestly.

Latest posts