• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Diver at Local Course (that doesnt call)

Unless its a blind hole and someone steals it right after you throw, by losing the disc you give up ownership because you didn't watch where it went. And if we are talking about water, its also your fault for throwing it in there in the first place. If that particular disc really meant that much, one, you shouldn't have thrown it on a hole with water, and two, you should've just gotten in the water and gotten it yourself.

If I lose a disc, I expect to never see it again. I do write "reward!" on some of my prized discs though.

Mr. Plow said:
You just compared a disc golf disc to a car. Next time you lose your car on the fairway, or throw it into a lake let me know. Then you have an adequate comparison.

Property laws make no allowance for the worth or perceived value of the property, beyond stating that theft of items above a certain value elevates the charge associated with the theft from a misdemeanor to a felony.

You seem to think also that the method or reason for the loss is taken into account in property law. Again, you are mistaken.

If you have my property, and I can prove that it's my property (eg- by my massive checkerboard, nickname, PDGA number and email address on the bottom of a golf disc) and you have no documentation to show that I consented to transfer of ownership, if I claim that you stole it or that you aren't authorized to be in posession of it, you are at fault according to the law.

I don't care how you feel about the subject, I was speaking solely in terms of the law on the subject. We've done a bit of research on that very subject locally when we found one of the river rats was selling off plastic with people's info on it (he was pretty dumb about it...he sold my buddy my ESP Comet marked "$20 reward for return" for $5).

On a related note, I DID lose my car keys on a golf course...spent the entire next day out there with a metal detector trying to find them! Wish I had THAT day back...

Mr. Plow said:
ID theft is called fraud. Car theft is called grand larceny. Child theft (that sounds strange) is called kidnapping. Pulling a disc golf disc out of water and keeping it constitutes none of these things.

If you pull my disc out of the water and keep it, and I see you with it and alert the police, telling them it was stolen, one of three things happens:

1. You give it back when the cops show up and I agree not to press charges (some municipalities will press charges regardless of my wishes, apparently)
2. You are given the lesser charge of "posession of stolen property"
3. You are charged with both "posession of stolen property" and the theft of that property.

That's just how it goes, no matter how you feel about it. I'd be a screaming douchebag for calling the cops on someone for having one of my discs, but if I offer a fair amount to get my property back and that person decides to be a screaming douchebag and refuses to give me back what's mine, that's their problem.

I have had guys find one of my discs and use it even though they know me. One such POS even had a sweet dyed Z XL I lost on a water hole in his bag the whole time while we played 18 holes together. I found out later and tracked him down on the course and called him on it. I thought he was going to cry when he pulled it from his bag to give me. "It's my favorite disc!", he says! I usually give the finder a few bucks, not that douche!
The flip side to this arguement is the guys who don't care that they're throwing someone elses disc and could care less if the person would like it back.

Ted Damson said:
Ya know what dives into bodies of water for goodies?
A bear

You bears should "Clan Up" and put a Trout dye on a Roc and send it around.

Skabob, you are misunderstanding what I'm getting at. Let's move on.

Back to the topic at hand...

Plshrk, did you end up bidding on the Ebay auction? After this thread popped up I realized I had it in my watch list. LOL. It ended up going for 46.51 + 10.50 shipping. Steep price to pay to get a Champ Valk back.

Me looking for my disc:

242txyr.jpg

Hooray! I found it!

20ixe2b.jpg

Nobody around here that goes into the water to pull lost discs out calls or gives them back. The guy at one park keeps them but will sell it back to you if it's marked ($3 for DX, $5 for Champ/Star....I bet he'd sell a lot more back and make more money overall if he'd lower the prices). The other parks some of the guys that dive for them sell them back to the store, so you can at least get them back that way for a couple bucks. That's IF it makes it to the store though, they may well just keep it for themselves and if they see golfers on the course while they're diving they'll sell the discs to you regardless of whether or not it's marked. Only discs I've ever gotten back without paying something are ones that are found by people that know me.

Oh, and a LOT of discs get lost around here. Taylor and Cliff Stephens gobble them up.

$5 for champ/star sounds more than reasonable, any less and he may as well sell them to PIAS without any extra effort. Then you can buy them at their used disc prices.

On that subject why is it THERE IS A THREAD TO BRAG ABOUT BUYING OTHER PEOPLES DISCS FOR CHEAP FROM PIAS. Direct your flak towards the actual business that supports it. I'll gladly watch how that works out.

SkaBob is correct, though this entire debate is tiresome when it is over some inexpensive and fairly easily replaceable discs.

Wikipedia actually has a pretty good discussion of the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost,_mislaid,_and_abandoned_property

Now you can argue about into which category the lost, mislaid or abandoned disc falls, rather than what the law is ;-)

BTW...I am a lawyer.

So would this matter be criminal or a small claims court issue?

I am kind of 50/50 on this subject. While I know it is nice to get a call from someone offering your disc back, it isn't easy to dive into water to get your disc back. Losing it in the fairway or brush is one thing, but water is another. My thoughts are that if an inked disc is found in water, offer it back to the owner for what you planned on selling it for. They gave up on it and you put in the work to get it. If they really liked the disc, they'd gladly pay to get it back I'm sure. Otherwise, they lost the disc and probably never expected to see it again. If they wanted the disc back, they could have jumped in the water after it, but since they didn't, they essentially gave up ownership.

But what if you spend an hour searching for your disc in the water and then you find it on ebay next week?

plshrk said:
But what if you spend an hour searching for your disc in the water and then you find it on ebay next week?

Or if you look around in the bushes and shule for an hour and don't find your disc because it kicked off a tree in a direction you couldn't see and was 100 feet away from where you were looking...

I would've lost a disc like that the other day...Kicked off a tree and somehow I didn't see it kick clean across the fairway onto the next hole over. I was looking off on the right side of my fairway when a dude on the hole to the left asked me if it was my disc...

plshrk said:

What difference does it make if you looked for it or not??

Someone else found it and decided not to give it back. People are greedy.

cjskier said:
What about ball golf then? I want my lost balls back... :lol: :? :twisted:

Exactly!

If you guys looked for an hour, you could have looked for two. If I didn't actually find the disc and gave up on it, I would be admitting that I would never see it again. Getting a call to get it offered back would just be a courtesy. Getting lost in brush or woods is one thing, but losing it in the water is another. Most people won't dive in to find discs. The person that is willing to do that deserves the discs they find. They are doing a job you wouldn't be willing to do yourself and put themselves through more to do it. They deserve compensation for it.

Mind you, if I find an inked disc, I will always call the owner. Then again, I am not willing to go diving for discs so this is a moot point for me. I'm just playing devil's advocate and giving a different point of view.

When I'm done looking for a lost disc, I've written that disc off in my head. Sure, it would be nice if someone called me about it, but that's a bonus. Not something I expect.

Furthur said:
When I'm done looking for a lost disc, I've written that disc off in my head. Sure, it would be nice if someone called me about it, but that's a bonus. Not something I expect.

Right.

and if someone is so attached to their disc that they can't stand to lose it then they probably shouldn't be throwing it in places where it could be lost.

Losing discs is part of DG.