• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Diver...good, bad, so-so or no clue

Disc Diver...is it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I can see it, I'm getting it...don't need a retriever (though a stick does keep my shoes dry).
I've retrieved 100% of the discs thrown into water that were visible. :)

Now fishing for my disc does look like a fun side game and break from disc golf, just like the hunting for food in Oregon Trail...but I don't think I'm ready to pay for the supplies just yet.

I've been pondering about getting a Golden Retriever, but I have my doubts it would work in the use I'd put it in. Majority of the water hazards in the courses I play have muddy, murky waters. No way to see the disc. So it would be blind throwing and fishing. Second, when I have waded some of the murky waters, I have noticed most of the bottom is very soft mud. And there are some branches, rocks, and other nasty things in there.

From the previous comments it seems I have been right in being suspicious and not buying one. Or does anyone have experiences on the contrary?

The Golden Retriever is great for many occasions, there are times when you wouldn't need to use it, but it's a lot nicer than finding a stick, or laying down on wet muddy terrain or whatever.

Thursday night we played Parma and hole 9 has you crossing a little creek about 170' out. My dad threw his disc so that it landed perfectly in said stream, and my disc went across on the right side and started to fade back towards the basket (looked like it was going to be parked perfectly) and then it hit a tree, shot back towards me and landed in the water.

We could have pulled either of those over to the dry side of the stream depression, stepped down the 4' bank and picked them up...but I pulled out the diver latched each one and pulled them to safety from the comfort of dry land.

\/\/

get some swim trunks, oh and some balls

I wear swim trunks when I play... I also carry a "golden retriever". If I can see it in deep water, there isn't any reason to get soaked when you can get it out from the bank. In shallow water... kick off the sandals, walk in and get it.

In deep, murky water... there is a risk vs. reward that decides whether you go in after it or not. At my age... usually not.

In Texas, there are plenty of things in the water that you don't want any part of, but they want your parts...

Last edited:
I've been pondering about getting a Golden Retriever, but I have my doubts it would work in the use I'd put it in. Majority of the water hazards in the courses I play have muddy, murky waters. No way to see the disc. So it would be blind throwing and fishing. Second, when I have waded some of the murky waters, I have noticed most of the bottom is very soft mud. And there are some branches, rocks, and other nasty things in there.

From the previous comments it seems I have been right in being suspicious and not buying one. Or does anyone have experiences on the contrary?

Ya, it'd likely be usless to you.
Finland huh? cool. Hello from Texas

Latest posts