• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Dyeing 101: The Basics

contact paper sucks. get some free 3m sign vinyl or buy some oracal 651. that will give you a lot better results.

otherwise, after youve centered the mask on the disc, put your hand under the disc and, in small circles, press down on top of the transfer-taped mask from the center and radiate out towards the rim. the idea is to lock down the middle and then work your way out towards the periphery. that will eliminate most bubbles.

I disagree. Clear contact paper is cheap and works really well when I have to reaply for multiple colors. I've never had an issue with contact paper.

The free 3M vinyl, on the other hand, is horrible.

can you take some pics of how to use the contact paper and putting the image on the disc. i keep getting air bubbles and it take a while to work them all out. im a visual person so the pics would help alot.

there can be bubbles, just not within about 1/8 inch of any cuts.

truth be told, i hated my free 3m stuff as well.:eek:

but it was better than clear contact paper. that stuff had horrid, unworkable bubbles and left an impenetrable, sticky residue.

it does leave more of a residue than anything else, but I haven't had any bleeds with it, which is the most important thing for me. Plus it's cheap and I don't have to waste my good vinyl on 2nd/3rd colors.

What do you mean that the bubbles are unworkable? Just that you have a hard time moving them?

I don't have a problem with the 3M vinyl however I didn't get the Controltac vinyl from them. I posted in this thread (#296) the stuff I went with.

I just did my first dye job and can't get all the glue from the vinyl off. What do you use to get this off?
The vinyl I used is oracal 651.
Thanks for the help.

I just did my first dye job and can't get all the glue from the vinyl off. What do you use to get this off?
The vinyl I used is oracal 651.
Thanks for the help.
Goo gone works the best and doesn't affect the dye job. Acetone will also remove it but may smear the Rit.

In a bind I've also used the scrubby part of a dish sponge. It didn't seem to affect the disc's surface that much.

if it's just a little bit, rub it with your thumb.

if it's a lot of residue, i'd wait a day then use a small amount of goo gone on a paper towel.

Is the vinyl thicker than contact paper? I'm reading trying to figure out the whole transfer tape process, but just don't see it working for the clear walmart contact paper. Am i right? Right now I just cut the contact paper out on the disc. is there that much of a difference cutting before placing on disc?

Is the vinyl thicker than contact paper? I'm reading trying to figure out the whole transfer tape process, but just don't see it working for the clear walmart contact paper. Am i right? Right now I just cut the contact paper out on the disc. is there that much of a difference cutting before placing on disc?

Xfer tape should work fine, all that it needs to do is hold the contact paper in place. Its basically just a low tack masking tape - take some regular masking tape and stick it to your shirt once, then put it on the contact paper, and stick it to the disc. If it works, the contact paper will stay in place once you pull the tape off since the xfer tape adhesion will give first.
Cutting off disc is sooo much easier imo. I dislike cutting on disc when I have to for remasking. Plus its easier to weed pre-vinyl-on-disc... imo.. I know ap weeds on disc.

If you don't want to use masking tape you can get the Blue Painters tape for delicate surfaces. This works great for transferring the contact paper to the disc.

Also you are correct schnelle...Vinyl is thicker than contact paper and will make for fewer bleeds typically. It usually adheres better to the plastic and is more resistant to the heat of the dye during the dipping process.

I'm getting geared up to start dying. What do you mean by "free vinyl". I have a sign shop near by so I was thinking about going there to get some vinyl. What particular types should I be looking for? Thanks

You can go here for free samples from 3M. Post 296 will show you the vinyl to get from them. If you take this option tell them that you are a sign maker wanting to try their products. If you say you want it for disc dyeing they will only give you a couple sheets.

Or you can do as you initially thought and go to local sign shops to see if they have vinyl scraps you can get from them. If you would like to purchase vinyl most people around here will tell you to go with Oracal 651 I believe but someone else may be able to verify that.

Yeah Oracal 651 is what alot of people use. I have a sign supply place in my city and I get a comparable product for about the same price. However they were out of the white with the blue paper backing so I ordered some Oracal just to try it out.

Ok so back to cutting off disc. You make your cuts light enough not to cut through back right? Then once cuts are done you use delicate surf. Painters tape to transfer