• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc felt heavy RHBH drive

centervolume

An odd thing happened to me the other day I was in the middle of a three round tour of local courses and focusing on form as I played making minor tweaks especially on back hand drives (thinking slow smooth far).

On one of them I had the distinct feeling that the disc got very heavy in the middle of the throw. I think as it was close to my core and I was rotating but not positive. It was one of my further shots and I couldn't recreate it. Is this a "thing"? Good or bad ? Something to explore and develop? I'm 10 months into the game now and things continue to fall into place.

Any insight into this phenomenon appreciated !

It's commonly called the "power pocket". Googling that along with disc golf will yield many results.

It's a good thing. I'm almost five years into playing and felt it a few times, feels like all my blood is rushing to my hand, but can't recreate it consistently.

For me, experiencing the power pocket for the first few times went something like this... "whoah...I didn't mean for the disc to go that far.. what happened?" And then ultimately... "wow...I'm hitting distances that feel so easy and effortless compared to before!"

I can't say I've felt the disc heavy inside the pocket, but certainly my whole arm will feel like swinging a heavy baseball bat coming out of the pocket, close to the release point, when things are clicking. When the disc feels heavy from the back of the swing, it means I'm strong arming the disc and I feel it strain the top, front of my shoulder. We have different ways of describing sensations, so we might be talking about the same feeling.

for me it was in the middle and then out to the end I think. It was a very odd feeling, like I almost went and inspected the disc to see if a giant clot of mud was stuck to it. My distance and I think overall mechanics are improving but I'm a new player so my lack of consistency is frustrating. I've been trying to find good stuff to read about this heavy disc sensation, to make sense of it. Apparently people know about the power pocket where it is and that's not a mystery but this sensation is fleeting for many players so that makes me think they are related but there's more to the disc issue... probably timing?

Latest posts