• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc flight question

Sho-Nuff

I noticed about three of my drives did this today. They come out straight and fast, then it gains elevation quickly and then loosed elevation quickly. (Like something is actually pushing the disc down. ) then the disc just kinda looses momentum and fades out. (about 225ft) I throw rhbh. The disc is a very beat in valk 169. The only thing I could think of is too much downward nose angle?

Yep, there was, off and on. Thats probably what it was. :eek: Must have caught a head wind a couple of times.

Wind will do funny things to a disc, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Throw hard and lots of snap is a way to beat it.

don't you just love when your disc hits a weird air pocket and drops a foot all at once?

If you can keep your disc under 10 ft elevation then you can avoid a lot of wind issues.

don't you just love when your disc hits a weird air pocket and drops a foot all at once?

only if i'm runnin high at the number plate :) or high in a low ceiling situation... otherwise i need the distance

Yesterday i threw a force with a wicked hyzer that I thought for sure was going to hit the ground vertical at about 200' Just when it was gonna hit the ground a wind gust picked it up and it ended up gliding to around 350' for about the longest drive ive ever had on said hole. Most other times the wind just knocks down my disc though.

Wind and elevation changes, two things that make DG very interesting.

When I got my only ace the wind picked up the disc and I thought I was going to be way long. Good thing the basket got in the way.

Yep, there was, off and on. Thats probably what it was. :eek: Must have caught a head wind a couple of times.

you were getting your disc just high enough to hit a different wind pattern. This can do all KINDS of things to a disc.

I'm sure if you watched your discs from the side as they flew past, the last few feet of rise looked the same way, just not as noticably so from your angle.

When this happens, try to keep the disc a bit lower/flatter (instead of nose up). Maybe use a bot more angle off the throw so it will tend to level a bit more when the winds hit it, instead of jumping or diving.

\/\/

you were getting your disc just high enough to hit a different wind pattern. This can do all KINDS of things to a disc.

I'm sure if you watched your discs from the side as they flew past, the last few feet of rise looked the same way, just not as noticably so from your angle.

When this happens, try to keep the disc a bit lower/flatter (instead of nose up). Maybe use a bot more angle off the throw so it will tend to level a bit more when the winds hit it, instead of jumping or diving.

\/\/

Thankx for the advice. I've been experimenting with throwing with more of downward angle. Or is it better to throw level and have the disc pointed more nose down?

I would look into different adjustments for wind since we can't predict how the air will affect a throw. The next one might slam your disc back down to da earf.

What I change for windy holes: the power/snap might be different, the disc/weight might be different (maybe more overstable), or my line to the target may change. Heavier discs and more snap will help to bust through with *less* effect of wind on your flight. If you have some throwing options, though, go with more angled lines rather than the straight shot - and keep them low and fast.

...or just use a polecat. They're too cool for wind.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

I'm sure it's totally normal... ;)

This is where you take you disc to an open field and make about 50 throws and see what results you get by trying different things

Yesterday i threw a force with a wicked hyzer that I thought for sure was going to hit the ground vertical at about 200' Just when it was gonna hit the ground a wind gust picked it up and it ended up gliding to around 350' for about the longest drive ive ever had on said hole. Most other times the wind just knocks down my disc though.

Ooh the power of Day Man! Not only the master of karate and friendship, but the defeater of spike hyzers:)

Latest posts