• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Disc for Forehand Sidearm 240-280ft approach with low ceiling & river front of basket

Yea I can do that, but distance is the other problem. And the hard fade at the end can get you into some trouble.
It's definitely an option I'll try out in the future. It's really low ceiling and not a straight shot. And far.

id use either a comet, buzz, or zombie.. but I choose weird discs to sidearm lol

For that shot I would probably us a Valk. It really depends on how tight the hole is though and if it's a tunnel. With that type of shot you need to throw something a little under-stable to stable. But it's really hard to throw under stable disc forehand if you don't practice it much. If you feel you need more glide and distance because of the river I would recommend some type of fairway driver. I wouldn't use a distance driver because your going to have to throw it harder to get it up to speed and for tunnel shots that usually means lack of accuracy. If you could throw up a pic of the hole that would help too.

wanted to update this thread. What's your most dependable forehand mid/putter for approaches? Open field or wooded. 100-200ft?

mine was the pro d zone but kind of want something that will stay in the air more when powered down. also the sidearm grip is not bad but not great.

Trident, GL for best results.

Your welcome.

My most consistent mid/putter would be my soft neutron Envy. Very workable for different lines. A lower profile fits most people's grips. My main one still has it's HSS but has lost most of it's fade so I bag a fresh one as well when the fade is necessary. Outside of my putting putter, it's my most used disc. Great driving putter as well.

Trident, GL for best results.

Your welcome.

I agree as I do the same with mine, but what about if you're trying to land on a touchy hilly island patch of green? And you want to reduce rolls as much as possible? Trident is pretty good at sticking but it also has sharp edges and prone to trouble for these shots.

Fresh Fossil Scale, 2nd run FD, or SPD depending on the line.

If I need a really beefy shot it's a FB. I prefer the Sextons.

I agree as I do the same with mine, but what about if you're trying to land on a touchy hilly island patch of green? And you want to reduce rolls as much as possible? Trident is pretty good at sticking but it also has sharp edges and prone to trouble for these shots.

In that situation i take some speed off of it so that its dumping hard and just hits instead of skipping or skittering.

BT Soft Harp would work too, but you would have to put a lot more on in and create more error room.

For me it would depend on the exact line and how low the ceiling is.

250' is about the furthest I tend to use my mids FH, so if there's a low enough ceiling to make me second guess flicking a Vector, or it's closer to 280', I'd definitely be discing up to a fairway driver. I'd be flicking a seasoned Crave, or fresh Crave, depending on the specific line and wind conditions. I'd be using a standstill or single step shot. I tend to stick with a one step flick for shots under 300'.

wanted to update this thread. What's your most dependable forehand mid/putter for approaches? Open field or wooded. 100-200ft?

mine was the pro d zone but kind of want something that will stay in the air more when powered down. also the sidearm grip is not bad but not great.

In that range I have 3 options that I'd consider go-to's: Ion, Envy and Vector. I'll sometimes flick an Axis or my beat Atom, but not as often. Which of those 3 I go with depends on the line and distance. Closer to 200' I'm more inclined to go with the Vector or Envy, closer to 100' and I like the minimal fade but reliable HSS of my Ions.

Last edited:
I have difficulty flicking mids consistently so I picked up a Opto Trident. It's technically a fairway but has the speed of a mid. It flicks very consistently and is very easy to control. Don't let the numbers make you think it's massively os, it's pretty straight when flicked. It has a ton of utility and is perfect for the shot you're asking about.

My favorite touch shot forehand approach discs in the 100-200ft range are a Fuzion Judge, Lucid Truth and surprisingly enough, a Star Leopard.