• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf as exercise

steveobk

So one of the things that I love about disc golf is not only is it uber fun but it's also amazingly good exercise. I venture to say that I probably get just as much if not more exercise from playing everyday than someone else gets from hitting the gym every other day. Between all the walking, the 100+ degree daily summer weather here in GA and the actual throwing motion which itself burns more calories than most people probably think, it's one hell of a workout. When I started playing around June of last year I was pushing 210 pounds. After playing everyday, usually at least twice a day, I ended up at a cut 170 pounds by the time winter got here. Well over winter of course all that weight came back and it's proving harder to loose this year than it was last year. So my buddies and I were trying to think of ways to make it even more of a workout and XXXtreeme DG is what we've come up with. Not only will this test you physically but mentally also. So here's the deal. Feel free to play with your whole bag as usual but when we do this we'll only bring out a few of our go to discs. Basically its regular disc golf but instead of leisurely walking to your discs and in between holes you sprint to those mofo's every time! The only break time you get is while everyone is teeing off and then when everyone is throwing from wherever they landed. There is no catching your breath one you get to your disc either. You get there pick up, throw and sprint to it again. First time playing like this it was my bestie and I, who are in pretty decent shape, and we made it to hole 11 and after that we just couldn't go on lol. So the question is how many holes do you think you'd last?

since i have started playing i know i have lost around 50lbs and kept if off.. im even trying to eat more so i dont slim down anymore but with the heat and as much as i have been playing it doesnt seem to help..cant complain about it much tho :) ... I know several people that just run and jog while they play and just carry 2-3 discs.. throw..run to disc..throw..run..etc.

I'm starting to get used to the summer heat down here again, so I would put my limit at 36 holes/day right now. But I usualy only hit the course 1-2 times a week. With our course about ready to be ripped out and redesigned, I'm looking forward to traveling around the state and playing some courses that I haven't played yet. I'll try to pm some of youse if I get to your areas and need a guide or someone cool to throw with.

My first post

I usually play 3 discs on every hole and jog in between to keep pace with the group in front of me or to catch up. I play mostly 9 hole courses but usually play the course 5 or 6 times on Saturday and Sunday. This is an excellent work out and I'm usually exhauted at the end. However I think sprinting on every hole is a little excessive. It will shorten the workout and greatly affect your game. I have run 2 miles from my house to the course to get an extra workout and when I got there I have to rest and get my energy back so I can put everything I have into the tee shot

Also, a big problem with running or sprinting especially when it's hot it the lack of water fountains at the courses I play and I forget to bring a water bottle most the time or it gets all warm and natsy from sitting in my car for a few hours.

My son and I try and get 36 holes in about 3 times a week plus whatever other regular rounds we get in. When I rode BMX everyday I was in perfect shape. Now that I don't get on the bike as much I'm having to actually work to stay in shape and disc golf helps.

We have taken to calling our bad scoring rounds exercise. Someone will ask how we did today or how was your round and we just say Exercise.

In the 60's Jerry Lucas and some other player with the Cincinnati Royals NBA team
(with Oscar Robertson on it) did this for preseason conditioning with real golf, using a 9 iron and putter and the old zip up sweat suits. Hit, sprint, hit, sprint, hit, sprint, putt. He shot par 72 doing it that way, as well as got in great shape. Obviously, to remember this I am some kind of Ol' Faht Grandmaster Dinosaur.

Curious as to what your scores are doing this in DG?

I've known a few sprint-golfers. Most amazing was Andrew Swistak, playing Stoney Hill in something like 13 minutes---over 2 miles total, lots of elevation, not to mention throwing. Biggest problem with this is having a course uncrowded enough.

As an alternative, try playing with ankle weights. Put some on your wrists, as well. That ought to add to the workout.

lucky mofo gets to play every day

sheesh

bet he throws 500 too

:wall:

:thmbup: being less than 10 min away from 2 dg parks makes it kinda easy to accomplish this. LOVE IT! Dont love coming home to an upset fiance because Ive been gone all day :thmbdown:

There's a guy that's a well known local at Eldo who wears those KSO Five Fingers shoes and sprint golfs every round. I seem to remember his record is about 11 minutes with a score of -7 but I could be off. Everyone lets him play through as they know him on sight and he comes up pretty quickly. The dude is in fantastic shape. I've played 2 or 3 rounds this way on 9 hole courses and it is a lot of fun, and great exercise. It's actually pretty popular here in Cali.

I dabble in speed golf up at Lake Casitas. One disc (Roc).

My best is 25 minutes, -1. It's a great way to warm up for a regular round or tournament. Hands get nice and loose and the endorphins get going. Sometimes I really get in a zone, too. No time to second guess shot selection.

Sucks when you lose that one disc though.

Haven't really tried speed golf. But regular pace disc golf turned out to be much better exercise than I expected. I lost 10 pounds after 4 months of play, playing 6-7 rounds a week. But my local course if fairly hilly.

There's a guy who sprint golfs at Pier Park, who we run into occasionally. Everyone knows him, and even when the course is pretty busy, everyone knows he won't slow them down significantly, if at all. We saw him run through our location three times, and he said his normal routine is four rounds. Given that Pier is well over a mile long throwing distance, that's quite an achievement. I think he said he keeps track of his time per round, and then adjusts based on his score relative to par (kind of like the biathalon). It's pretty impressive, given that he's playing at about triple speed, plus his scores weren't bad (right around par), even given the handicap of sprinting.

I wish

Yea I weigh close to 300lbs and I play at least 5 times a week in Austin, TX heat. I am also going to the gym 3-4 times a week now and am not having great results. I played football in high school and stayed active in college but now I just can't seem to drop this weight. But hey, at least I get to play disc golf 5 times a week right..:thmbup:

I play every day, and I've been telling my wife that it's great exercise, but she just wasn't buying it. She's been doing P90X, and the other day asked me if I'd join her for the kenpo workout, and I told her that I would probably suck because I haven't been working out, so she gave me the sarcastic, "ohhhh .. but you HAVE been working out. You play disc golf every day, remember?" .. so I gave in and tried it with her.

I kicked her butt. Even I was shocked at how well I kept up with that workout. Playing daily is definitely doing something, because I had no right at all to do that well on that workout. LOL

I have read that you burn around 1100 calories a round of DG. Hilly courses would be more. Of course, if you drink a six-pack during the round you may not be making too much progress, but probably don't care.

it certainly is exercise. if you want it to be.

I dropped over 100 lbs. and 12' on my pants size.

I have read that you burn around 1100 calories a round of DG. Hilly courses would be more. Of course, if you drink a six-pack during the round you may not be making too much progress, but probably don't care.

There is no way that number is anywhere near accurate.

I'd say it's probably closer to a 200-400 range on a moderately hilly course.

There is no way that number is anywhere near accurate.

I'd say it's probably closer to a 200-400 range on a moderately hilly course.

I've read that on average for a hour and a half game you should burn anywhere between 800-1100 calories. I'm sure it's different for everyone and I'm sure you obviously burn more on the hilly courses. Compared to other exercise that's pretty good. They say that for every mile you run you should burn about 100 calories so...run miles or play disc golf?

Latest posts