• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf at the country club...

Asvetic

Bogey Member
Here's a random question... has anyone ever attempted to walk onto a local ball golf course, pay to play a round and instead play it using your discs?

I was thinking about it this weekend. I forgot to bring my clubs home, but I had my discs. My father and brother wanted to go golfing... so I thought I could ride out with them and while they're hitting balls, I'll throw my discs.

We didn't go, too rainy. But, it made me wonder if anyone's ever tried it before.

I was thinking you could just use the flag stick as the basket, object-golf rules.

I wouldn't do this as your discs might damage the greens. Generally on the few ball golf courses that have a disc golf course built in, the ball golf greens are considered OB for discers.

And with that being said, I don't see the appeal of playing disc golf on a ball golf course following the ball golf layout. Ball golf and disc golf have different types of obstacles and with most ball golf fairways devoid of trees and enormously wide by DG standards, it would just be one long bomb after another. Aside from the ground related hazards, your biggest obstacle would be the wind.

Now if you were to say play DG on a ball golf course, disregarding the ball golf layout and carving DG holes through the rough and wooded areas, where hitting precise lines comes into play, I might be interested.

Let us also remeber that disc golf courses are measured in feet, and ball golf courses are measured in yards! There is, I still think, a disc golf course on a ball golf course in Sarasota Fl. It is exeedingly long and thereby takes almost all of the fun out of the game except for those who could consistantly throw 600'+. What the sport needs are more places dedicated to the sport. Disc golf resorts and clubs? I say why not?

Not sure of a disc course on a ball course in Sarasota, but there's a disc golf course on an executive ball course not that far away in both Dunedin (Saint Andrews Links) and in Lutz (Lutz Executive DGC). Both are fairly open with long holes but each has their own challenges, it's kind of nice to just launch them once in a while anyways. Water comes into play on quite a few holes in Dunedin, the baskets are on undulating mounds on the course in Lutz. We play Saint Andrews regularly and Lutz once every 6 months or so, they're both a nice change of pace from some of the disc only courses in the area. One thing I like about Saint Andrews is that you can get a cart, a nice option when it's 94 with a dewpoint of 80 degrees.

Maybe, but I would think no more so than people wearing spiked golf shoes.

Imagine a distance driver coming down hyzer into a ball golf green.

My wraiths will stick in the wet, normal ground. A ball golf green is 100x softer than normal ground.

Using discs on a golf course = quick way to get banned from there.

I don't see much point cause there are no baskets and the fairways are huge with not much challenge or variety. I'm sure the regulars would love to see you discing on their greens! Although I think ball golf is actually worse on the greens, just look at the divots their clubs leave.

There are a few DG courses on BG courses in my area, but most are not given very favorable reviews. For the most part, they are just long and open, not much fun for those guys like myself who only throw around 300ft. There is one DG course on a BG course that is highly rated, Old English in Indiana, but it is like $20 to play. I can see paying $5 from time to time, but $20?, no thanks. To many good courses that are free.

More on topic, I think a golf course would be a great place to practice throwing, but definitely not on the greens. If you were to just ride along and throw discs while someone else was playing a round of ball golf, I would think most places would just charge a cart fee. If it is a more fancy country club type, they may frown on throwing discs on the course.

We have 2 par 3 courses in the area, so the lengths would be comparable, but the only obstacles would be the lights that are around the holes. This would be good for me, probably the only way for me to stay out of the trees :D

Maybe a little better than practice throwing at the soccer fields, at least have a tighter target to go at, but the green damage could be an issue

I did a little checking on the Sarasota FL course, Its at a place called the Sarasota Golf Club and comes in at a wopping 13,131 feet for 18 holes! There are cart rentals available and the course is a pay to play. If anyone wishes to torture themselves this way, more information on the course can be found at the Hard Disc Drivers Disc Golf Clubs website.

Last edited:
Imagine a distance driver coming down hyzer into a ball golf green.

My wraiths will stick in the wet, normal ground. A ball golf green is 100x softer than normal ground.

Using discs on a golf course = quick way to get banned from there.

I've accidently hit the ball golf greens many times with drives, no damage or problems yet.

I don't see much point cause there are no baskets and the fairways are huge with not much challenge or variety. I'm sure the regulars would love to see you discing on their greens! Although I think ball golf is actually worse on the greens, just look at the divots their clubs leave.

I'm fairly certain that any divots on the greens would be from the balls, not clubs. Would be a little difficult to leave a divot with a BG putter (when used properly).

Awesome Replies

You guys all make valid points. My arm would probably have given out by the 9th whole, but the lack of tree obstacles might factor into longer throws... so, the give and take would even out a little.

I'd also imagine that I'd probably play the course par and not the standard DG par of 3. This might make the game more manageable (I'd feel like a chump not getting a 3 on ever hole and that would factor into the ol' psyche).

Anyway, for the few courses mentioned with a disc golf course build onto them, has anyone played? Does it really feel more or less harrowing playing such a large, wide-open course?

I wouldn't do this as your discs might damage the greens.

You'd do no more damage than the installation and maintenance of the course has already done. There's my environmental rant for the month, now time to run over fawns with my coal powered suv while whistling Dixie.

Latest posts