• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf before and after kids

Massive backswing. He needs to get that left arm down though.

picture.php

Adorable little girl you got there. There is an up side beside the obvious of having a cute kid.

In a similar vein I had not one, but 3 kids in a matter of 4 1/2 years, then I got snipped. My obsession back then was fishing. Fishing, fishing and more fishing. I had a small fishing boat and a canoe. A dozen rods including a fly rod. When I wasn't saving lives and property in a Coast Guard boat I was in my boat or in my waders along some stream. Needless to say my time and money were greatly changed. As they got to be 3 or so they started accompanying me, 1 at a time, then 2 at a time, then all 3. So I always had great companionship and 30 years later I still do. The same can be applied to disc golf. Although it might seem obvious, the key is when you start out a very small child to learn your passion, don't bring any discs for yourself. Be the caddy. I never fished when my kids were just past babies, I was their guide. They quickly learned to become self sufficient and then we became fishing buddies.

Good luck with the little one.

Cool thread. There's no greater feeling in the world than the pride you can have when your kids set goals and accomplish them.

Different story for me: my kids were 8 & 11 and I was always looking for things we could all enjoy together when I saw people in the park throwing 'frisbees' at baskets. Took the kids a few times and they weren't all that enthusiatic... but I got hooked. Took a few years, but now my son loves coming with me.

My 2 cents worth as a parent of teens: there's simply no substitute for being a presence in your kids' lives early on, as well as on a continuing basis. Form a bond early, let them learn for themselves that you'll always be there for them. Support and encourage but don't push (unless it really has to be done). Set boundaries, give them options and let them learn consequences for themselves. Get to know your kids - how they think and feel and explain stuff to them in terms they can totally relate to. Most of all as they grow up...LISTEN.

You'd be amazed at the little things they remember, and how certain things you weren't even aware of make very lasting impressions on them.

Son's just started as a freshman at Michigan and daughter's doing well as a Sophomore in HS... so far, so good. Just waiting for her to say, "Dad, I know you'll like him, he plays disc golf!" :eek:

I had a long break from disc golf when my son was born. Now he is 9, almost 10 and I started getting back out there with him along a lot. Its rough when they are little.

My 22 month old has really helped my putting. He wants to go out every day when I get home from work and walk around holding discs, putting them in/out of the basket, etc. It is a blast and gives me tons of practice.

I'm expecting a little one in early november. Needless to say, I'm getting in as much golf as I can. Can't wait for the baby to arrive though!

Enjoy them while their little regardless of how much it puts a cramp in your style. Before you blink twice, you will be carting them off to athletic, academic and band competitions. It's still an awesome labor of love, its just different. You go from being their "everything" to being "everything that isn't cool". One day your reading pop-up books with them and the next you are scratching your head, having to relearn Algebra just to try and help them with their homework.

Yeah, but we all might need someone to wipe our asses when we get older, and I figure the kids owe me a couple wipes at least.

Yeah..., I will be in a home.

Yeah, but we all might need someone to wipe our asses when we get older, and I figure the kids owe me a couple wipes at least.

Yeah..., I will be in a home.

Not to rain on your parade, but a lot of my work is in nursing homes. You almost never see family members. I could go on and on with stories, but the decorum prevents me from doing so.

Gotta love Photoshop! Here's one that won't make you feel so sad! :D

P.S. Do you know how hard it was to find someone throwing a disc golf disc straight at the camera?

Attachments

• Future Discgolfer Funny.jpg
    Future Discgolfer Funny.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 23
I'll off myself before my kids stick me in a nursing home. Horrible way to spend the rest of your days, regardless of the expertise and compassion of the staff.

Basically what the great Dan Dennett says:
"It is commonly observed - but not commonly enough! - that old folks removed from their homes to hospital settings are put at a tremendous disadvantage, even though their basic bodily needs are well provided for. They often appear to be quite demented - to be utterly incapable of feeding, clothing, and washing themselves, let alone engaging in any activities of greater interest. Often, however, if they are returned to their homes, they can manage quite well for themselves. How do they do this? Over the years, they have loaded their home environments with ultrafamiliar landmarks, triggers for habits, reminder of what to do, where to find the food, how to get dressed, where the telephone is, and so forth. An old person can be a veritable virtuoso of self-help in such a hugely overlearned world, in spite of his or her brain's increasing imperviousness to new bouts of learning... Taking them out of their homes is literally separating them from large parts of their minds - potentially just as devastating a development as undergoing brain surgery."

congrats bro. she is beautiful and will/has changed your life. Family is one of the greatest gifts God gives a man. when she is older, take her out and let her throw some holes. it would be a great daddy/daughter date time just for you guys.

Amen to that. I started DGing with my daughter when she was about 10. She quit for a while (found out about clothes, phones, boys, and cars) but then all of a sudden took up an interest in it again. Last Fathers Day she met me for a round at Chavez Ridge (NOT a place for beginners) and did pretty well :)

Made her old man proud, not to mention happy :D

Latest posts