• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf cart bag height

Warlan

Hello all!

I have been pondering buying a disc golf cart for the various reasons given on this forum. One that seems to be glossed over is the height at which the discs are. One of the main reasons listed for a cart are having to not bend over as much to pick up a bag. It seems that carts with the discs towards the bottom are not solving this problem. The two exceptions are the EZ Cart where the bag sits higher and the Transit cart where the built in bag is higher.

Is the higher access to the discs an overblown benefit in actual use? I'm in my mid 40s and find after 36 holes I have some lower back pain. By assumption is from bending over a lot with a bag, although it could also be due to poor form.

Thoughts and opinions?
Thanks in advance!

For me even with the discs low in the cart it still beats setting the weight of an entire backpack down and picking it back up makes a huge difference on my back over the course of a round.

Also, keeping the center of gravity lower on a cart just somehow makes sense in my mind.

This is why I built a cart using an old golf foldable, strapped on a plastic 5 gal bucket with a drum seat attached to the lid (I put fluids down there), and mounted my shoulder bag midway up the frame. In use, the two weights balanced great while rolling. Sitting still, I had a seat and access to everything. Of course, I need to re-build the whole thing with materials better than plastic & duct tape...

For me even with the discs low in the cart it still beats setting the weight of an entire backpack down and picking it back up makes a huge difference on my back over the course of a round.
No doubt! Thanks for your insight!

Also, keeping the center of gravity lower on a cart just somehow makes sense in my mind.
That was also something I thought of but wondered how important that was in practice. Are those with EZ carts or Transit carts having tipping problems when the bottom rack isn't loaded with heavy items (like a 12 pack)?

Yes thanks sisyphus, I have seen many of the golf cart converts that bring the discs much higher up. Like the Rovic I guess. Thanks for the input!

Thats why a jogging stroller makes a great disc golf cart. Your disc golf bag sits up in the seat and provides easy access to everything without having to bend over. There is usually a rain/sun cover that can be folded out to cover your bag in bad weather. You can find one on craigslist for practically nothing.

Thanks for the feedback, the only issue I see with the jogger stroller is the size and limitation to use in wooded courses. Otherwise it looks like a great stable and tall option.

Background, I'm 61 years old and have scoliosis (my spine curves the wrong way). I get back pain...sometimes it can be so bad I can't stand up. There were days I disc golfed and couldn't get out of my truck when I got home - I had to sit and wait for the pain to go away. I stretch before, during, and after playing...still had issues.

My wife suggested I get a cart when we moved to a place where the courses are cart friendly. It has been a world of difference. Rarely am I in pain after a round. I have the Rovic, which is like a ball golf cart and keeps my bag higher off the ground than most other carts.

That said....I believe one big issue causing back pain is how we pick up and carry our bags. Most disc golf bags are backpack style, but how often do you actually carry it with both straps over both shoulders? I would pick up my bag by one strap and put that strap over one shoulder to go to the next shot/hole. All that weight on one side strains the back....but it seemed to be a waste of time to put both straps on just for a "short" walk. Also, bags aren't light.....how often do you use proper lifting when picking the bag off the ground? I know I failed doing that. And do you just reach to the side and pick up your bag (causing you to lean sidewise), or do you turn and face the bag to pick it up?

This is why I built a cart using an old golf foldable, strapped on a plastic 5 gal bucket with a drum seat attached to the lid (I put fluids down there), and mounted my shoulder bag midway up the frame. In use, the two weights balanced great while rolling. Sitting still, I had a seat and access to everything. Of course, I need to re-build the whole thing with materials better than plastic & duct tape...

Did you ever post pics of this beast? :)

Last edited:
That said....I believe one big issue causing back pain is how we pick up and carry our bags. Most disc golf bags are backpack style, but how often do you actually carry it with both straps over both shoulders? I would pick up my bag by one strap and put that strap over one shoulder to go to the next shot/hole. All that weight on one side strains the back....but it seemed to be a waste of time to put both straps on just for a "short" walk. Also, bags aren't light.....how often do you use proper lifting when picking the bag off the ground? I know I failed doing that. And do you just reach to the side and pick up your bag (causing you to lean sidewise), or do you turn and face the bag to pick it up?

The one shoulder carry is a big part of the reason I never switched to quad straps when I still carried a regular (non-backpack) dg bag. I noticed the same thing as you, that most players with quad straps only had it over one shoulder the majority of the time. Wearing the quad straps halfway on didn't look as comfortable as the single strap I already had.

Nowadays, I use a backpack the majority of the time and when I only use one shoulder strap, I sling it on the non-throwing side in an attempt to balance out the fatigue.

Totally agree that you pick up your bag way too many times in the course of the round for most of us to stay disciplined and do a proper lift each time. I usually don't until I'm already feeling the effects.

Can you provide a pic?

Yeah, it was a beastie...
picture.php

...but also free, made from parts I already had.

It later evolved with a slightly lower slung position for the bag, but I never took a pic. It finally sort of died, but I got a good thousand + rounds out of this setup beforehand.

Last edited:
My cart is an old clic gear cart with my own custom add ons. Ive got the kajigger configured so my bag is at the bottom or top. Ive found that when the bag is in the top spot it's much easier to grab my next disc while walking to the tee. Also my back isn't as tense by the end of a round. Usually I need a counter weight though. Often I use a cooler or ill cart someone else's bag (it'll hold up to 3 bags).

Most of the courses I play have enough of an open path that my cart makes it through.

I think y'all have finally talked me into doing this. I had been carrying fewer and fewer discs, and less water unfortunately, to try to lighten the load. 10-11 discs in a Revo with quad shocks helps but not enough, and I keep reaching some specialty disc that was left in the car.
The stool makes a big difference for the distance of reaching down, but as far as swinging the bag off my shoulder (I make sure to use both straps every time too) it's the same motion no matter where the bag is placed. I think that may be my biggest issue since most of the pain is centered along the lower back and especially along the L1/L2 muscle group all the way out to my hip. My chiro says the issue goes all the way down to my hamstrings, which might have originally caused the problem.
Stretching is mandatory...I couldn't play without a solid 15-20 minutes of it...but I'd like to be able to play two days in a row or even maybe (gasp!) two rounds in a day.

Have you been able to compare a cart with the lower center of gravity vs the higher? Ie. the backpack cart vs the ez cart/transit?

Conceptually I like the idea of a higher bag height for ease of grabbing the discs and less bending over but if the cart is a lot heavier to roll around because of the higher center of gravity and/or tips over a lot then that's a problem.

Thanks again for any input!

Latest posts