• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf complaints on a Golf Course

Seabrook

Par Member
I've been asked to survey a piece of land for a disc golf course. Beside it are two fairways for the golf course. I was wondering if anyone has heard complaints from the Golf Course that the sound of chains is disruptive to golfers when they are in their back swing or putting?

Just curious if I'm going to hear any potential complaints.

Thanks, S.

I think it would depend on a couple things
-Vibe of the golf course - a scruffy municipal course is likely to have less serious golfers and therefore less complaints than a higher-end course
-Routing of the disc golf course - does it generally stay to the side of the golf holes, or go across and down all the fairways, Las Vegas Challenge style?

It can go both ways though- MRAG DGC in Mobile, AL has a couple holes that parallel a golf fairway, but separated by trees, so you couldn't necessarily tell if there were people out playing. There were a couple times I came close to getting nailed by golf balls.

Good question... I have now played many rounds on ball golf courses and have never heard any complaints. However the course I frequent most has Re-tire baskets which have minimal chain noise. Most comments I hear from ball golfers about disc golfers, which is mostly in good fun, are jokes about weed smoking.

I'd think the inevitable F-bombs would draw a lot more complaints.

With all the beer drinking and cussing I have heard (and done!) on a regular golf course I don't see this as a problem. Guys playing golf don't cuss when they hook or slice a drive really bad or miss a putt that is little more than a tap in? Or the way some drunken fools drive their golf carts after they get lit from 3 too many beers? Also seen weed smoked on a golf course too, just as much as I see playing disc golf. I'd rather have smokers around me than drinkers any day. Nothing more annoying than obnoxious beer drinkers. I try to avoid them. I'm a Patron or El Jimador type of guy anyway.

Last edited:
Beside the typical complaints others have mentioned above, one I have heard from the management of the ball golf course our club installed baskets at, is that some disc golfers are sadly unaware of the etiquette of driving a golf cart around a ball golf course. Greens and tee boxes are off-limits. That and some general ass-hattery of driving a golf cart around with your friends.

It can go both ways though- MRAG DGC in Mobile, AL has a couple holes that parallel a golf fairway, but separated by trees, so you couldn't necessarily tell if there were people out playing. There were a couple times I came close to getting nailed by golf balls.

This sums it up. I won't play if people are playing golf. My parents golf and hate the mulling around in the woods and people popping out of the tree line, and my friends who played had golf balls land really close to them. Apparently one of the holes is next to the driving range. Smh

And as an example of vibe comment, one of them showed up in a tank top and the pro shop wouldn't let him play until he put on a collered shirt. This is all at Nashboro GC (The Links DG?).

All great comments. The course starts at the opposite end of the property away from the ball golf course. All baskets are not visible from the fairway unless you walk up to the edge.
- 2 baskets would probably be about 20m from a fairway
- 1 basket about 40m from a green
- the rest are buried deep in the woods.

All great comments. The course starts at the opposite end of the property away from the ball golf course. All baskets are not visible from the fairway unless you walk up to the edge.
- 2 baskets would probably be about 20m from a fairway
- 1 basket about 40m from a green
- the rest are buried deep in the woods.

This is the way to do it, IMO. Our ball golf DG course just doesn't do it for me, so I rarely play there/support it. If it could have been designed in a more wooded manner, that is more my preferred course style, but a ball golf style course is what the club wanted. Just my opinion though, others really like the wide open, nicely groomed, long bomber fairways, but they bore me. I don't want to pay money for that.

This is the way to do it, IMO. Our ball golf DG course just doesn't do it for me, so I rarely play there/support it. If it could have been designed in a more wooded manner, that is more my preferred course style, but a ball golf style course is what the club wanted. Just my opinion though, others really like the wide open, nicely groomed, long bomber fairways, but they bore me. I don't want to pay money for that.

I would not either, a course like that is to get some Traditional Golfers to play Disc Golf.

Turning the volume down on disc golf chains/baskets

There sits a very lonely Mach II portable in my backyard.

It has not seen a disc in quite some time.

But I do recall several years ago when I put it back there that I took steps to quiet it down a bit so the neighbors did not have to hear as loud a clang.

I put some rubber foam inside the pole, and then also wrapped the pole with some insulating tape I found at Home Depot. I did not wrap the whole pole, but put a couple bands on the upper and lower portions of the pole. I also know a friend who shot some spray foam into the pole on his practice basket.

It helped tone it down a bit. You might want to consider similar measures when installing baskets in ear shot of some other activity.

I was on the ball golf team junior and senior year in high school, so played religiously for several years, and my opinion is I would much rather hear mechanical noise than human voices when driving or putting.

But I do recall several years ago when I put it back there that I took steps to quiet it down a bit so the neighbors did not have to hear as loud a clang.

A buddy of mine put one of those pool noodles around the center pole on his home basket and it really cut down on the noise.