• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Driving Ranges

Problem I've got with a DG driving range is disc retrieval. At a golf range you get a bucket of ball, hit them and walk away. I wouldn't find it very useful go get 25 discs (which I may or may not have in my bag) and go throw. Why adjust my throw to the flight of discs I don't bag.

A DG range would have to be run like a shooting range with specific times to throw then time to go retrieve discs. I'd much rather find a field where I can throw and retrieve or throw back and forth at my pace.

Besides, I'm obviously doing something wrong cause after 10-15 full distance throws in rapid succession I need a break or my hand/arm/shoulder starts hurting.

However, an open space next to a pro shop to test discs is a great idea.

Problem I've got with a DG driving range is disc retrieval. At a golf range you get a bucket of ball, hit them and walk away. I wouldn't find it very useful go get 25 discs (which I may or may not have in my bag) and go throw. Why adjust my throw to the flight of discs I don't bag.

A DG range would have to be run like a shooting range with specific times to throw then time to go retrieve discs. I'd much rather find a field where I can throw and retrieve or throw back and forth at my pace.

Besides, I'm obviously doing something wrong cause after 10-15 full distance throws in rapid succession I need a break or my hand/arm/shoulder starts hurting.

However, an open space next to a pro shop to test discs is a great idea.

All of this.

Including, for me at this point, the limit on full-speed drives.

A driving range, under any circumstances, would not interest me. An open field, or even an open level hole on a low-traffic course, work fine for the limited number of throws I can make.

BUT.....if it were to be done, I can think of a couple of points. For "range discs", about 3 models, in the most durable plastic possible. Presumably, players are working more on form than learning the exact flights for specific holes. Or, a disc retriever on well-protected cart, to gather and bring back the throwers' discs.

None of which strikes me as economically feasible. Just the best way to provide service while losing money.