• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf in national forests?

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
So my disc golf league is putting together a course proposal for the town to put in a new course. We were thinking of plots of land for the new course when I started to think about the national forest outside of town. Obviously this isn't owned by the town so it wouldn't work for the proposal. But the land is ideal for a quality Colorado mountain course. But does anyone know of courses that are on national forest land? The only ones I can think of are ski resorts that lease the land. I'm just curious if anyone has tried to do this already, before I go down to the national forest service office.

The town could certainly install and maintain a course on land that is not owned by the town. Happens all the time.

Hueston Woods was done in a State Park. It is a great course, but I know that is has taken a long time to work on it because it can be a challenge to talk a park like that into cutting down some trees. Even after he started working on it, there has been some issues because of that amount of trees needed to cut down. If the place you are look at is fairly open, then it may not be that big of an issue, you'll just to have to work around what they allow you to do.

There is a short 9 hole course in the Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina, in an area called Kings Mountain Point. It was installed by the National Park Service with very little input from DG players

Several courses here in Montana are on National Forest land. A few are leased ski resorts, but most are not. Each Forest is different in terms of their land management principles so some of these courses are more developed (baskets, tee pads, signage, etc...) than others (painted tree targets, tone poles, dirt tees, etc...). As someone who has a lot of first hand dealings with the Forest Service to help manage a few of these areas, all I can say is good luck. It is a time consuming and often very frustrating process dealing with a federal entity. It is best if there is an official club or group that the FS can officially recognize. The FS is broke, so more than likely all installation & maintainance, of the course and any infrastucture (like bathrooms, parking lots, etc...) will fall on said club/group.

We were lucky here in Missoula in that 2 of our courses on National Forest lands were established long before the FS knew anything about them. Therefore our Club was able to make improvements (baskets, tee pads, signs) to those courses in the name of "protecting the resource". The FS has made it clear to us that if those same courses were proposed today they would not be approved due to the environmental impacts.

Good luck and I wish you success!! Our National Forests are a national treasure and are great places for multiple use recreation! Convincing the FS of that is another matter...

That sounds like a major headache. Best to find different land to avoid all the Government red tape.

I wish there was plenty of land around, but there just isn't. For those of you who haven't been to Colorado before, the ranchers own all the good land. So that's why I wanted to put a course on a mountain pass. It really would be the perfect place.

China Peak has several holes fully inside the national forest. There is red tape to deal with but no more or less than in many towns/cities already. Worth checking into IMO

I lived in Granby (west of Winter Park) for a time, and there were plenty of guys from the NPS that played with us. Now, we never wanted to build a course on national forest land, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go talk to any of them about it, find out their thoughts and see what the logistics would be. Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park (in Conifer, CO) is monitored full time by a park ranger and brings in tons of money!

On the other hand, why not approach the ranches? Disc golf is exploding in popularity and great courses are becoming more and more of a destination. Now that I live down here in FoCo, I frequent Sundance Trail Ranch as often as I can, our club has a great course on their land and there's regularly league play and tournaments. Why? Revenue with almost no cost to the ranch. They offer $3 per round $5 per day or a season pass ($50 for the year I think?). Then there's the folks that actually book rooms to stay and play and use their other facilities. It's a huge win win for the club and the ranch!

While I'm thinking of it, what pass did you have in mind, Rabbit Ears? For a course there you'd probably have to place/pull the baskets each season just to avoid having them crushed by the snow. Talked to a buddy up there the other day and he was saying you guys already have a couple feet?

O yea it's looking like its gonna be a big winter for us! And yes I was talking about rabbit ears. And yes I would pull the baskets, the course would only be open June - September most likely. And I think conifers course is on private land, no forest land btw.

I've been thinking about a ranchers for disc golf campaign.

O yea it's looking like its gonna be a big winter for us! And yes I was talking about rabbit ears. And yes I would pull the baskets, the course would only be open June - September most likely. And I think conifers course is on private land, no forest land btw.

I'm not ready to quit throwing yet...but the craving for powder grows stronger by the day... For Conifer, it's definitely private land I was just thinking you could use it as a template rather than an actual example. It's going to be all about what you're able to justify to the NPS if you do go that route. If you did get a course up on Rabbit Ears I'd be quick to join the queue, that would be epic. Not just the disc golf but the scenery would be almost unrivaled! Is it too early to cross my fingers? ;)

Does Steamboat do a resort course in the summer like Winter Park?

Latest posts