• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

Article about a popular private & free to the public course in Louisville (Arrowhead Disc Golf Course) is currently closed due to a neighbor complaint and zoning/permitting issues. Read the story at the following link:
https://www.wdrb.com/news/popular-d...cle_65ed093e-ad51-11ec-b21c-934c9049d41d.html

You can also sign the petition to get the course restored:
https://www.change.org/p/save-arrow...TGyFTdhWVi8PrwZF3XfDkdJHBaQIi-v-HGP3vlDHp3itE

Thanks for sharing! This place is a gem that I'd hope is on many of your wishlists. Please sign the change.org petition!

Thanks for sharing! This place is a gem that I'd hope is on many of your wishlists. Please sign the change.org petition!

The petition is to allow a course that was installed on public land without permission to keep going?

The petition is to allow a course that was installed on public land without permission to keep going?

Splitting hairs...it's more of a lemonade stand without a a food license kinda thing. Yes, some of it is on public land. Yes, to the letter of the law, they need a "Conditional Use Permit." However, the company managing the area (which is a flood plain) encourages such things on the land they manage. It was some "anonymous" person who ratted to the authorities. Now to get the CUP requires official survey work running into thousands of dollars.... the family running the course says that it too much hassle. There have been offers of charitable giving to cover the costs AND a council person says that it may be a moot point with some zoning ruling about to take place (in favor of it being OK)

(For those who wanted a TL DR...)

Yeah, I hope it works out. Seems the curators of the course were aware of the need for permits and the regulations, but it was a lot of work and money. Carefully taking all the steps, fostering positive relationships and following all the rules is the best way to ensure longevity. Taking shortcuts often have a way of coming back to bite you. All of those who have spent months and years raising money, attending city council and park authority meetings and pulling permits, just to get a chance to put in a course understand the challenges. For the record, there is never really any guarantees.

Sounds like the course is gone, unless the proper surveys are preformed and the permits pulled. It is likely that the holes on Metro land will need to be pulled as well. I don't see the municipality simply deciding to acquiesce. It would set a precedent.

Splitting hairs...it's more of a lemonade stand without a a food license kinda thing. Yes, some of it is on public land. Yes, to the letter of the law, they need a "Conditional Use Permit." However, the company managing the area (which is a flood plain) encourages such things on the land they manage. It was some "anonymous" person who ratted to the authorities. Now to get the CUP requires official survey work running into thousands of dollars.... the family running the course says that it too much hassle. There have been offers of charitable giving to cover the costs AND a council person says that it may be a moot point with some zoning ruling about to take place (in favor of it being OK)

(For those who wanted a TL DR...)

So, let's see: part of the course trespasses on public land (that just happens to abut property owned by the family that runs the course), the title to which, should the city fail to challenge the trespass, could ultimately pass to the family under KY's adverse possession statute (Ky. Rev. Stat. § 411.120).

Sounds to me like the person who reported them deserves a medal for outing a bunch of land rustlers. :eek::eek::eek:

Why is it so hard to shake the hippy, marijuana stigma? Here is a news report, running several times a day on the Detroit Fox affiliate. Watch the video in the first link. Why is there a need to associate this event with disc golf?

Well, in the near future, when recreational marijuana is legalized there, partakers gotta have something to do that's cheap (free), away from the 'rents and reggae can be blasted continuously and indiscriminately. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

There was certainly permission by the land owners (Louisville Metropolitan Sewer District). When the course owners wanted to expand into the adjoining wooded area, they asked MSD for permission. MSD said they absolutely could use the land as it was otherwise totally useless (giant wooded floodplain area off the Ohio River). The news video shows an interview with MSD who confirmed this. The problem is now with the city, who is demanding permits, etc.

There was certainly permission by the land owners (Louisville Metropolitan Sewer District).

Wrong. The MSD may manage the land, but the land is owned by the municipality. If that were not the case the city would have no legal standing to ask, much less require, the course developers to obtain permits.

The tournament is a two-day, four-round tournament at four different courses. That incident happened on the second hole of the afternoon round. The round was canceled, and rounds at that course today are canceled, though the tournament will proceed at the three other courses.
Cliff Drive is legit the scariest place I've played disc golf at. It's super sketchy there. I've always chalked that up to me being a rural guy and just not getting the urban landscape. I tried to act like I wasn't scared there, but I was scared there.

Last edited:
Cliff Drive is legit the scariest place I've played disc golf at. It's super sketchy there. I've always chalked that up to me being a rural guy and just not getting the urban landscape. I tried to act like I wasn't scared there, but I was scared there.

I'm directing at Water Works for this tourney instead of playing because I refuse to play Cliff Drive. It's not safe.

Blue Valley is a close second. I believe the city granted the KC disc club ample money for dg courses to help tame the parks.

Latest posts