• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the News

Was that you? He was from Northern Ohio.

I still have it
picture.php

Heh, no. Possibly Technohick or Brall?

nice catch, interesting article

maybe if Rose Park had better than a 2-star course, it might have garnered a moment of attention.

...smdh

It's things like this that give people the ammo to fight course installations. Bad design and not a enough forethought by the park and designer(s)... and even with proper warning signs, people either don't pay attention or don't understand the dangers if they do bother to read them.

We as disc golfers need to not only be careful when playing courses that are on these types of properties but also let the parks know that not every couple acres of open space needs a course. In the end, it would be better to have a few less courses because these types of incidents can get better, more secluded courses pulled, or not built to begin with, out of fear of lawsuits and/or protests from the NIMBYs

...smdh

It's things like this that give people the ammo to fight course installations. Bad design and not a enough forethought by the park and designer(s)... and even with proper warning signs, people either don't pay attention or don't understand the dangers if they do bother to read them.

We as disc golfers need to not only be careful when playing courses that are on these types of properties but also let the parks know that not every couple acres of open space needs a course. In the end, it would be better to have a few less courses because these types of incidents can get better, more secluded courses pulled, or not built to begin with, out of fear of lawsuits and/or protests from the NIMBYs

A warning that does influence "grow the game". Just because a piece of property could house a course, does not mean it should. There are lots of recreational activities that vie for the same land. Often, other activities fit that property better than our game. That is a recipe for good parks and usage.

Ewan Craig Your comments are very upsetting and although you say you don't want to victim blame, you actually are doing just that. I am the woman that was hit by the disc. My account to The Press was actually biased towards disc golf - I made it very clear to the reporter - who was actually a woman by the way - that I wanted a no-blame approach. I asked them not to include the conversation my friend had with the young men afterwards (I couldn't talk to them as I was in so much pain) where they said they had been waiting for a few minutes for us to walk up that stretch of the park past/away from the goal…. in which case it seems strange that he then chose to throw the disc when I was barely 20 meters away from him. The report is actually unbalanced because I didn't want the whole story told because I didn't want to shame the player. I'm sure he didn't mean to hit me, but it was extremely irresponsible to tee off when he knew I was less than 20 meters directly in front of him. Having seen the photos of my injuries, I'm not sure what explanation you would be expecting from him? I would love to hear what he has to say - I was protecting him by not giving his name to the newspaper, because I think most people would be appalled by his behaviour. It isn't just my story - I was with a friend who had to deal with the aftermath as I was in so much pain and shock and just had to get to the hospital. I also didn't want it published in the newspaper that I actually have Stage 4 lung cancer, which would get the sympathy vote, but that's not what I want. I don't want the sport banned, but changes do need to be made to make it safe for all concerned, I'm not sure how you can question that. I had two CT scans on my head and face and doctors told me I was extremely lucky I didn't lose my eye and how dangerous it would be if a baby in a stroller or a child got hit by one of the discs. And I don't think anyone needs an understanding of the game to see how dangerous it is to be playing it in a busy park with people/children and dogs walking/running/scootering/cycling around right next to the tees and goals. The accident happened near the tee next to the bridge, but while The Press was taking photos in the park someone playing frisbee asked us to move away from the goal that is directly behind the bench overlooking the lake - what happens if people are sitting on the bench??? The whole set-up is ridiculous. I think it's a great game but it needs to be done in a safe place away from the public - and that is what I'm trying to advocate for.

So whilst the media is out on the course covering this story about how disc golf effects park use...some entitled half wit ASKS THEM TO MOVE!

SMDH

While I think it is reasonable to expect to experienced players to be aware of their surroundings, (I am sure we have all skipped holes many times, and waited until an area is clear many other times), expecting new players (many of whom are young and can throw 60mph+ right off the bat) to do so if foolish.

On new courses, this falls mostly on the course designers, IMHO. Many are so anxious just to get a course in that they forego safety and logic concerns. One of my favorite courses has a busy walking path that snakes through it and comes into play on at least 10 holes. Have had to wait countless times while playing there, and simply skip holes countless others. We've all seen the family picnic in the middle of a fairway I am sure too.

But what is the answer for existing courses, like the one above? Shut it down? In ball golf, this isn't a problem, because the land is completely dedicated to the sport. There is no sharing. I've never once considered walking around a ball golf course's paths, even the public ones. Maybe just having the sport get more common may help its exposure some. Some big warning signs on common areas may help, but maybe also could some signs on teepads warning US that this is a multi-use park could be useful too, moreso perhaps for newer players. Signs are relatively cheap, maybe that is the best short term solution.

It does seem our sport does still suffer from a very low awareness level. Folks look at it the same way as two people playing catch with a Wham-O. The large space our sport necessarily takes up dictates that unless we want to start paying BIG bucks for dedicated space (and I know we don't), then I think it is upon our community to somehow be better stewards of our courses. Maybe this is something the PDGA needs to get more involved with, IDK.

Indeed...I feel that all existing courses need to be reviewed, especially if they are 5 or more years old. The community and the technology has changed and the courses need to reflect that.

Blind corners that require a spotter - no
Holes using popular paths as OB lines - nope
Installing baskets BEFORE warning/advisory signs go in - heck no!

While I think it is reasonable to expect to experienced players to be aware of their surroundings, (I am sure we have all skipped holes many times, and waited until an area is clear many other times), expecting new players (many of whom are young and can throw 60mph+ right off the bat) to do so if foolish.

Safety should be the number one priority of those involved with any sport, especially one where you are throwing hard pastic discs. Its importantance needs to be stressed especially to newbs.

Being a new player does not absolve you of using common sense.