• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics?

Will there be Disc Golf in the Olympics?

• It could happen in 2012 if the PDGA or some other entity pushes for it

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • It will not happen in 2012, but will eventually be in the Olympics

Votes: 104 42.4%
  • There is no chance that Disc Golf will ever appear in the Olympic games

Votes: 129 52.7%

• Total voters
Per equipment needed to set up a game, soccer is way cheaper than disc golf, as you only need one ball for a match. Last I checked, a recreation quality soccer ball ran less than $20, less than the cost of a DX starter set.

Problem is that most third world county residents can't even afford that. I've been told in the slums of many foreign countries, they will make their soccer equipment (balls, goals) out of whatever is available, even packed balls of dirt. Its from these pickup games that most third world countries procure their national soccer team. Oh, they'll set up a stadium and hand out nice jerseys for that. Soccer matches provide a means for these countries to give their citizens a means of distraction from the destitute squalor around them.

Unless we've actually seen these third world outposts, we Americans simply haven't the slightest clue what rock bottom poverty is. Even most 'poor' Americans are richer than most people on this planet. Our "cheap" by their perspective is still prohibitively expensive.

Look mate, basic requirements to play soccer include a ball, shoes and maybe some goals or something set up as goals. To play disc golf all you need is a disc and TREES. That's it. You don't even need shoes really. Most 3rd world countries are starved for agricultural space so fields could be at a premium, whereas you can disc golf ANYWHERE. You throw a disc at an object, it gets no cheaper.

Look mate, basic requirements to play soccer include a ball, shoes and maybe some goals or something set up as goals.
Anything available can be made into a ball. Shoes are not required for running and kicking around that available anything, although I'm sure its more comfortable.

To play disc golf all you need is a disc and TREES. That's it. You don't even need shoes really.
Well if you don't need shoes for disc golf then you don't need them for soccer.

Most 3rd world countries are starved for agricultural space so fields could be at a premium, whereas you can disc golf ANYWHERE. You throw a disc at an object, it gets no cheaper.
Fields? They improvise on that too Dave. They'll make a soccer "field" out in the desert, a dried up lake bed, or in an alley. They'll even go half-field if necessary.

I mean c'mon, do you really think this Americanized version of soccer where middle-upper class Moms load their tykes into her Astrovan, go play in their "socreless" city rec league game at their nicely manicured field, and take them to Baskin Robbins after the game exists in Mexico? or China? or Ethiopia?

I mean c'mon, do you really think this Americanized version of soccer where middle-upper class Moms load their tykes into her Astrovan, go play in their "socreless" city rec league game at their nicely manicured field, and take them to Baskin Robbins after the game exists in Mexico? or China? or Ethiopia?

Dude, I've seen the favelas of Brazil, kid's kicking **** balls around the ghettos of Portugal, Africa, whatever. A kid kicking around an inflated goat's bladder is not playing soccer anymore than I'm playing basketball in my driveway with a peach basket. And yeah, there's rich people in Mexico and China, I'm not sure but I think they have some of the biggest stadiums devoted entirely for soccer in the world so yeah I think maybe they have a soccer mom or two. The point is organized disc golf is vastly cheaper to recreate than pretty much anything. Go play soccer and disc golf with bare feet and tell me which is easier. :rolleyes:

Wish it were true but seems like there is really no hope. We can all dream though.

If you're going to actually account for every item required to play soccer or disc golf here it is:
Disc Golf:
1 disc/1 person
1 basket/1 hole (these can be constructed out of available materials like soccer goals)

Soccer:
1 ball/22 people
2 goals/1 field (constructed of available materials)

So basically you just factor in the price to play per person and leave out the goals.
$5 disc = $5/person
$15 ball = $0.69/person

This also doesn't account for the amount of space required to play each. Winner=> Scarpfish

1 soccer field, 22 players
1 18 hole course, with 4 players per hole = 72 players.
disc golfers use only ~ 5 discs maybe, the rest are security blankets.

If you really crunched the numbers side by side, I'd be shocked if Disc Golf wasn't one of the cheapest sports in the world.

With baskets costing over $100 and $7 per disc, schools will not teach it. It is cheaper for a school to buy a set of bowling pins and an indoor bowling ball for the kids, or a few footballs and a set of flags, or a bag of volleyballs and a net. (get the point, Disc golf is not a cheap sport when compared to others.)

A) you don't need baskets to play disc golf
B) Last time I checked a wooded course doesn't require lots of mowing, watering, lines painted, and other turf maintenance.
C) you can play disc golf by yourself, meaning you don't have to run down other players for teams, time is money.

Oh and if you hope to charge admission your gonna have to build some bleachers for the field as well.

soccer ball = $14, 2 official goals = $4,300 Total = $4314 for 22 people

44 discs (a driver and putter per player) = $300, 18 DGA MACH II = 4427. Total = 4,727 for 22 people

as far as teaching in schools substitute the goals with parking cones and you have nearly no cost, where if you substitute baskets with targets you lose alot of the essence of the game same with using regular frisbees

Last edited:
What part of "you don't need baskets for disc golf" do you not understand? How many homegrown courses do we have on here with make shift baskets?

and no one plays them, everyone bitches when they are asked to throw at a bucket on a pole.

substitute baskets with targets you lose alot of the essence of the game
I did not say it wasn't possible it is just not the same and we are talking about competition level (OLYMPICS)

Volleyball: Standards and net for 12 students = 1029.00 and a volleyball = $12 (total $1041 for 12)
Lacross: 14 sticks 2 mini nets and 14 rubber balls = $299 for 14 students

The same company charges $449.00 for 12 innova starter packs (3 discs) and $455.00 for PVC Disc Golf TARGETS not baskets ($904 for studets to play a 9 hole immitation course)

Soccer and disc golf are both cheap sports. Compare them with rowing, cycling, swimming, or most of the winter sports in the Olympics. I don't think cost of playing has that much to do with it. I sometimes think one of the things that will keep disc golf from ever being really huge (like ball golf) is that it is so cheap to play, and consequently nobody will come along and spend a bunch of money to promote it, or build a bunch of courses to make money on.
Disc golf won't be in the Olympics until it gets true world-wide appeal. How many countries have active participants in disc golf? Similar to how BMX and mountain biking got into the Olympics after their popularity spread, it was included, but only at the expense of other cycling events. Baseball and softball were dropped by the IOC largely because they are not played all that widely throughout the world, hardly at all in the IOC's backyard. If DG catches on in a big way in Europe, at least twice as popular as it is here now, and keeps growing everywhere else, it could easily be included.

I believe Brother Dave is fighting an uphill battle on roller skates.

That's okay, I need the exercise and I look good in spandex wind breaker suits. I just can't believe I'm the only one arguing for disc golf on a disc golf forum. When did this change to soccercoursereview.com?

You don't need matching uniforms to play disc golf either. ;)

Disc golf was invented by hippies Damn it! Hippies! How can a hippie sport be more expensive then a non-hippie sport!? We're talking about people that invented hacky sacks for crying out loud! Damn it all, I hope you all choke on some elf balls!

How's that for passion? :D

we are not arguing which is better (clearly DG), just what is cheaper.
as far as choking on elf balls, DON'T YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE THINGS COST? :)

it would be great to see in the Olympics, and its played worldwide so makes sense ... just dont think it could get the backing sports like MMA have as they are turning the corner to become the next Olympic sport

From the International Olympic Committee:
In order to promote the Olympic Movement, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) may recognise as International Sports Federations (IFs) international non-governmental organisations administering one or several sports at world level and encompassing organisations administering such sports at national level.

Recognition of the International Federations (IFs)
In order to be recognised, these organisations must apply the Olympic Movement Anti-Doping Code and conduct effective out-of-competition tests in accordance with the established rules. The recognition of IFs newly recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) shall be provisional for a period of two years or any other period fixed by the IOC Executive Board. At the end of such period, the recognition shall automatically lapse in the absence of definitive confirmation given in writing by the IOC.
As far as the role of the IFs within the Olympic Movement is concerned, their statutes, practice and activities must be in conformity with the Olympic Charter. Subject to the foregoing, each IF maintains its independence and autonomy in the administration of its sport.
Good luck with the PDGA (or any other "International Federation" of disc golf) conforming with the bolded passage.

Latest posts