• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics?

Will there be Disc Golf in the Olympics?

• It could happen in 2012 if the PDGA or some other entity pushes for it

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • It will not happen in 2012, but will eventually be in the Olympics

Votes: 104 42.4%
  • There is no chance that Disc Golf will ever appear in the Olympic games

Votes: 129 52.7%

• Total voters
From the International Olympic Committee:

Good luck with the PDGA (or any other "International Federation" of disc golf) conforming with the bolded passage.
I guess Michael Phelps could start playing disc golf.

From the International Olympic Committee:

Good luck with the PDGA (or any other "International Federation" of disc golf) conforming with the bolded passage.

No kidding. That would essentialy get rid of three quarters of the competition.:rolleyes:

With all this talk of Chicago possibly hosting the 2016 games, I started thinking about this topic and did a little research. Unless the PDGA has started this process already, it's unlikely disc golf could appear in the olympics before 2020.

The International Olympic Committee process requires seven years for a new sport to be added.

http://inlineskating.about.com/od/competitiveinlineskating/a/olympic_sport.htm

Other than the Anti-Doping Code issue mentioned earlier, it sounds like disc golf meets the criteria to become an olympic sport. I know ball golf isn't included, but real men don't play with ball so they do have that against them.

So lets cross our fingers and hope the PDGA is working on this.

Besides the glaring lack of doping controls (not to mention that there will not be any in the foreseeable future), I'm sure that the PDGA is not represented in 75 or more countries. (My guess is more like 20-25.)

I still can't figure out why some folks want DG in the Olympics as if the OG's are somehow the pantheon of athletic competition or something. The Olympics aren't so much about sports as they are about politics. Always has been that way, and always will be. Precisely what we should shy away from.

If they come to Chicago in 2016 (which would be AWESOME) it would be really cool to hold a tournament during that time as a psuedo-Olympics. I think it would be fun and we could avoid all of the red tape of being in the real Olympics.

Otherwise, we have no shot of getting into the Olympics for at least another 50 years, and I hope even then we aviod it. Regular golf isn't even an Olympic game, DG has no shot for a LONG time.

honestly, i doubt it will happen

the last thing the IOC wants is more US winners

im no english major but there are mispellings and fragment sentences.. this cant help the case