• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf in the Olympics

If I'm not mistaken, I think a sport has to be played professionally in at least a certain number of countries before it would be considered for the olympics (in at least 6 different countries, for example).

How many countries is DG played professionally in right now?...

well i think the rest of the world has alot of catching up to do before its considered, why do you think softball is gone?[/QUOTE

This is the exact reason why it won't be in, is because it would be dominated by US athletes. Same thing happened to Women's Softball, which is quite frankly garbage. Why punish the girls and women playing softball because they're too good? They're actually talking about doing the same to Women's Hockey. What I dont understand is how diving is still in as its dominated by China, if I am correct.

I love disc golf, but rather see Women's Softball come back and Hockey stay before DG.

i only rubed you so you could see what was said before and where it stands 4 years later. I would love to see it in the olympics but i know the reasons it wont be. I agree some olympic "sports" make me scratch my head.

OK fair enough. Sorry I kinda snapped. The gf is driving me crazy right now :)

I hope they decide to make it amateur like boxing and take the top three ranked males and females, cause if they do I'll be there in Rio representing Australia! WooHoo!

X-Games maybe. I would love to see it in the olympics but like others have said there are many more established sports waiting in the wings. I do agree that many of the sports that are included in the olympic games need to go. Disc golf is just starting its climb towards broad appeal and its been slow and steady at that. When I was growing up (just a stones throw from Kaposia mind you) disc golf was looked at by most as a stoners activity reserved for when they eventually quit organized sports. Now, thankfully, it seems to have garned attention from a broad range of people (while it does still hold onto its original stoner appeal) and seems to be gaining popularity everwhere. In the last 4 months alone I have introduced 6 people to the sport 4 of which are now hooked and none of which ever had any interest in the sport before, though they all knew what it was.

Is disc golf in the X-Games? I guess I don't even know, but it seems like it would be a good fit.

badmiton is bigger in the countries of asia then disc golf is in the us. It is the number one spectator sport in south east asia.
If some game I could play drunk in my backyard is in there, DG has a chance!

Lets see how golf does in 2016. If it does well, as an event, then around 2244 you can start to get your hopes up for disc golf in the Olympics.

Because it's not played in most nations. If a sport doesn't have worldwide appeal, it's not going to be included.

yes, because beach volleyball was a sport that was popular all over the world, which is why it was added as an olympic sport :wall:

I think disc golf should try to get back into the world games before there is any thought of getting into the olympics.

Let it get a national audience on tv before trying to get it in the olympics.

Actually I think the Europeans would crush the US at the Olympics in DG as disc golf as a sport is taken much more seriously there than here. In Europe they have real training facilities for disc golf and overall better maintained courses. So while the US would definitely do well, but European countries like Sweden and Finland are better equipped to train an Olympian.

I more or less gave a thumbs down in that four year old thread. I stick by my answer.

Actually I think the Europeans would crush the US at the Olympics in DG as disc golf as a sport is taken much more seriously there than here. In Europe they have real training facilities for disc golf and overall better maintained courses. So while the US would definitely do well, but European countries like Sweden and Finland are better equipped to train an Olympian.
Yep, that's why we have all those world champions from Europe coming over to Worlds every year and showing us silly Americans how its done.
:|

This is funny. How many of our DG 'Professionals' could pass the drug testing? This sport is a loooong way from being an Olympic Sport. But compared to some of the sports it would make better entertainment.

I more or less gave a thumbs down in that four year old thread. I stick by my answer.

Yep, that's why we have all those world champions from Europe coming over to Worlds every year and showing us silly Americans how its done.
:|

Worlds is about as much about world players as Miss Universe is about women from other planets:(

Worlds is about as much about world players as Miss Universe is about women from other planets:(
And it would be no different if Worlds were ever held in Europe. A lot of our top talent can't afford to cross the pond either.

That being said, 17 open division international players made the trip to Charlotte. I believe only two cracked the top 50. Meanwhile Americans end up dominating major events held in Europe and Japan quite often. One such recent example.

Do you guys think it ever will be? I think our sport is legitimate enough and professional enough to start being considered. I mean, if Handball and speed walking are Olympic sports then I feel like our sport should qualify as well.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I am thinking you forgot to search. There are far bigger international sports that have priority.

I watched Olympic badminton today.

Olympic. Badminton.

(yes, i think disc golf will make it, eventually)