• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf is Socializing

It shouldn't take more than the most basic of comprehension skills to understand that walking a couple miles while carrying a 10 pound bag, repeatedly picking it up and setting it down, and repeatedly using your core in an explosive movement is exercise.
You've basically described "light labor." Anyone who's had a part time job in retail has followed that "exercise" regiment. Why not get a job stocking shelves at a grocery store if you believe that is "exercise?" You're basically doing the same thing and you would get paid for it.

The only health benefit you'll see unless you're super out of shape (which you'd think the doctor would know if he is or not) is that you'll burn calories. You burn calories doing everything, so is everything "exercise?"

Whether that counts a 'sufficient' exercise is a completely different arguement and is based on your age, gender, current fitness levels, and goals.
And you're claiming that the doctor doesn't know any of that?

This thread has context. A doctor told a specific person that disc golf does not count as exercise. People here are pointing out that it's really only exercise for a very specific group of people and will stop being exercise to them once they reach a relatively low level of physical fitness. You'd be in a very small minority of disc golfers if your end fitness goal is to be able to walk a couple miles while carrying 10 lbs.

Chuck, are you on BP medication or summat? 64 is fairly low for an ave, unless you're just in good shape -- but that 53 for 15 minutes is almost alarming. Did you nod off? Or pop 1/4 an Ambian?

Thought I remembered that and figured as much. The local Greek joint had one of those pulse-rate-for-a-quarter things and the owner always offered free gyros if you got below a 60. My dad was a champ due to his medication -- although I'm not sure the gyro was the best reward!

Anyway, seeing your graphs I really must buy a heart monitor now.

My heart rate is always around 60. In high school and college I would even measure down in the 46-48 bpm area, I think my lowest was a 43. I used to lift weights 1-2 hours a day.

---------------

As for disc golf as exercise- all I know is that when I play solo I disc faster than some people walk. 2 mile course in well under an hour, often for 3-4 rounds in a row. And the more often I play the better I feel.

Last edited:
Let us look at the two types of disc golf out there.

Disc golf played by a "pro" (or d-bag am who thinks he will be a pro if he buys a bullseye basket and three dozen champ rocs): Line up for drive. Do three practice runups at 5% speed. Throw some grass. Wait for wind to die down. Throw more grass. Decide wind is just right. Stop mid runup because of 2 mph wind gust. Throw more grass. Curse at car horn three blocks away. Throw disc. Yell various catchphrases like "do work" or "hook up". Look displeased with drive no matter how good it is. Sit on a stool while 4 other people repeat the above process. Drag deluxe roller bag up to shot. Throw grass. Bring two putters up to line up shot. Pretend to pick putter based on wind. Mark shot with mini. Analyze putt for max allowable time. Putt disc. Mini fist pump. Sit on stool by path to next teepad.

Regular disc golfer: Drive. Walk/jog to disc. Putt. Walk to disc. Putt. Walk/jog to next tee. Find group of pros/d-bag ams. Ask to play through while lighting a cig. Ask again after pros pretend not to hear request. Drive while pros complain about reckers and criticize lack of stool or rolling bag. Run to disc. Putt. Dodge disc thrown by pros at your head. Run to disc. Putt. Run to next teepad.

I think disc golf is actually pretty good exercise for the regular disc golfer. :popcorn:

It is exercise playing solo rounds. Tournaments not so much.

I play a course alone and finish in about an hour and end up going 2.5 miles. It's exercise, calories are burned (I track them) my blood sugar drops and my doctor agrees.

Playing my local mini is not; 3 hours on a shorter course (2 miles)

I usually do, but that's probably because I stretch and do cardio before hand, play several rounds or just empty my bag on each hole(about 150-270 throws), and then end with some cardio to get the blood pumping to clear the lactic acid out of my muscles. Of course, this is mostly on my off days when I'm practicing, days where I'm playing money rounds I usually am far more lazy.

And no-one ever said that DG was the same as weight training, jogging, swimming, etc. etc. etc. that's you guys pulling stuff out of your ass. There is a serious difference between exercise and working out, I think some of you might to use your brains a little more even when talking about muscles. Funny thing too, I've got a friend that's one of the more established personal trainers in town, he can bench me but rarely beats me.

I wonder if there are ball golf forums where people have such idiotic discussions, and badmouth their own sport and their own players as much as you guys do... probably not. Oh well, maybe when all of the pessimists and haters in DG die or quit the sport can grow a little.

Seriously people... learn the difference between exercise and working out.

What you described as your experience with disc golf as exercise is probably relevant to 5% of the disc golfing population, as your routine is vastly different than most disc golfers'.

If you go back and read this thread, many people are indeed making the argument that disc golf is the same as jogging or weight training. They may not be saying it directly, but by espousing the caloric benefits and challenging their doctors to caddy for them, I would say that counts.

And what you see as badmouthing I see as a reality check. Often times on this forum people are extremely quick to put disc golf on this massive pedestal as some kind of cure-all or sport that is at the same level of every other professional sport. I love this sport - if I didn't, I wouldn't be sitting here wasting my time on these forums - but I am under no illusion that it is going to be the next fitness craze or professional explosion. If that makes me pessimistic, so be it. But I prefer not to view the world through rose-colored lenses and am not afraid to call disc golf what it is - a fun sport that certainly has some health benefits, but is no substitute for a rigorous workout routine.

Those of you who believe disc golf isn't exercise, do you believe it's a sport? Just wondering. I'm not saying all sports are exercise, I just think discing is more than just socializing and I'm wondering where you draw your own lines.

Last edited:
I usually do, but that's probably because I stretch and do cardio before hand, play several rounds or just empty my bag on each hole(about 150-270 throws), and then end with some cardio to get the blood pumping to clear the lactic acid out of my muscles. Of course, this is mostly on my off days when I'm practicing, days where I'm playing money rounds I usually am far more lazy.

And no-one ever said that DG was the same as weight training, jogging, swimming, etc. etc. etc. that's you guys pulling stuff out of your ass. There is a serious difference between exercise and working out, I think some of you might to use your brains a little more even when talking about muscles. Funny thing too, I've got a friend that's one of the more established personal trainers in town, he can bench me but rarely beats me.

I wonder if there are ball golf forums where people have such idiotic discussions, and badmouth their own sport and their own players as much as you guys do... probably not. Oh well, maybe when all of the pessimists and haters in DG die or quit the sport can grow a little.

Seriously people... learn the difference between exercise and working out.

Clearly you're incorporating disc golf into a broader exercise routine. However, disc golf by itself provides very little above most people's everyday routine. In this sense, it's hard to categorize it as exercise.

No one here is badmouthing the sport, we're simply pointing out that while there are definite benefits to playing regularly, disc golf by itself is not sufficient for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Those of you who believe disc golf isn't exercise, do you believe it's a sport? Just wondering.

Yes.

Other sports that I don't consider exercise:

Darts
Bowling
Horseshoes

And how about this one? Baseball. Sure there are short flurries of activity, but a large amount of time on the field is spent standing (albeit in an athletic stance). And even starters spend half the game sitting on the bench...

Did someone mention swimming?

Well, it is all a matter of degree.

Swimming can mean hanging out at the rec pool and occasionally dunking a hot chick or doing a cannonball or something. But you can also get a great 30 min workout doing a vigorous lap swim of at least 1000 yards or so.

Disc golf can mean playing casual league golf in cards of 4-5 players. But a couple of rapid solo rounds of disc golf on a very hilly course can be very good exercise. When I talk to my doctor, I just call it "hiking" so there is no confusion.

I do lap swimming and basketball regularly, and I still consider "hiking" to be exercise.

And how about this one? Baseball. Sure there are short flurries of activity, but a large amount of time on the field is spent standing (albeit in an athletic stance). And even starters spend half the game sitting on the bench...

One game of baseball isn't all that strenuous. 162 games of baseball in a row is.

Playing disc golf once a week is not going to produce a very fit individual. Playing daily with field practice will get you fit.

Darts
Bowling
Horseshoes

Apparently your type of disc golf is played in large slow groups on very flat courses. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

One game of baseball isn't all that strenuous. 162 games of baseball in a row is.

Two words: Pablo Sandoval.

Yes.

Darts
Bowling
Horseshoes

Exactly. Add ping pong, hunting, fishing, and a host of others to the list.

How I differentiate exercise: www.frontrower.com/aerobic_heart_rate_chart.htm
50%-congratulations, you're not sitting. Not exercising either, but better than nothing.
75% SUSTAINED for 30 minutes: Exercising! Note: if I rest between shots, I've fallen out of that range. I can get there with a game of racquetball or basketball, light cardio or slow lap swimming. Disc golf, horseshoes or softball will not do it.
85% SUSTAINED for 30+ minutes: Heavy exercise, or "workout". High impact cardio, like an elliptical trainer or fast lap swimming. Also during sets on the weights, but this slows between sets, so... ???
Granted I'm 31, and your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Be honest: Before going out for a round of disc golf, have you ever once thought to yourself, "Man, this is gonna be a good round of exercise today!"?

To play Wilder in OR, yes. Others, like Diamond X, look pretty strenuous too. And let me clarify that: After 1 round that took over 2 hours[by myself], I was soaked to the waist, muddy to the knees, I could only throw 150 ft., and I felt like I'd been beaten by leprechauns with cudgels.

Those of you who believe disc golf isn't exercise, do you believe it's a sport? Just wondering.

Now you've done it.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
hunting, fishing

Good luck telling an elk hunter that, or a lightweight tackle deep sea fisher.

OR this guy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_it62G0QnA

Of course, if you drive up to your tree stand, and only drag a deer 100 yards, then yeah, not much going on there.

For the most part DG is nice to get out, can be a little strenuous sometimes with the elevation changes, but it is not a cardio workout unless you are jogging around the course in between shots.

Okay, so the consensus is this: To some people disc golf is exercise. Some courses even provide enough elevation changes for them to consider it a work out. To other people, disc golf is not exercise; if you think it is you're fat, and the 1-5% of people who make disc golf exercise are forcing it to be exercise, but the game inherently isn't exercise. No one is denying it is healthy physical activity or a sport (yet). Some people are mad because the 'not exercise' people are calling people out of shape if they think disc golf is exercise, which is churning bad spirits all around. I love disc golf.

Walking = Exercise
Lifting = Exercise
Throwing = Exercise.

Walking + Lifting + Throwing = Exercise.

The point of this thread is not to discuss whether or not Disc Golf is a super intense and super athletic sport which will put you in great shape. The point of this thread is about a stupid doctor who mocked a patient about something he is completely and utterly ignorant about, while probably about 70% of doctors primary exercise is a weekly round of ball golf on Saturday which makes them so exhausted they sit on the couch all day Sunday.

I know... lets get Ben Askren's opinion on whether or not Disc Golf is exercise.

Latest posts