• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf is Socializing

When I play solo rounds with one disc, I tee off, run to my disc, throw again, repeat until I'm done with a round or two.

Disc golf is exercise, just not hardcore exercise. I think overall it would be akin to Bolf when not using a cart, when playing relatively flat dg courses.

Last edited:
When I play solo rounds with one disc, I tee off, run to my disc, throw again, repeat until I'm done with a round or two.

Exactly. Speed disc golf. I do this when I want to squeeze in a lunchtime solo round or two. I often carry a few discs instead of just one.

this-thread-delivers_dhl.jpg

This study only counted the steps taken, it did not analyze the value of the exercise. Three miles per round is really not a huge amount of walking. Wear a pedometer to work and you'll be amazed how far you're actually going.

That's also one thing this study is really lacking: a baseline. It's easy to say "wow, we walk three miles disc golfing" but compare a week that includes a round of golf every day to a week without and I would bet the difference in activity is not all that drastic.

The best way to measure the value of the activity is to monitor heart rate. Chuck's sample is good, but that's just one person, it would be interesting to see a full scale study of heart rate on the course.

Last edited:
Has pre-rube add a post with all the links to threads about "disc golf helped me lose "x amount" of weight? Im always beat and in good shape carrying 2 water bottles and 25+ discs. Carrying 30+lbs of weight 2 miles isnt all that easy. If you carry 3 discs and yea...most people dont get much out of playing. The serious big bag players get a bit more. although, it is rarely anaerobic...except when you realize you left your favorite putter in the basket 2 holes back.

Most people do not "walk briskly" on the course, and it's rarely a sustained walk. Raking leaves and mowing the lawn is sustained work, you don't stop every 300 feet.

Are you effing kidding me, Brad? You are SO focused on the fact that DG is not exercise that you're making yourself look troll-ish.

eat BBQ
drink beer
smoke
"warm up" prior to round [stretching is for yuppies]
smoke
throw two discs from tee
walk to both discs, use keen mental agility to decide which one is better
drink some more beer
smoke
throw upshot
walk to disc
perform a falling putt, that counts as movement and therefore is exercise
spend 5-10 calories yelling $%^*&@!# at the basket for spitting out
relax, meditate, smoke, drink some more
repeat 17 more times
congratulate yourself on every hold for getting outside and enjoying the weather on this beautiful exercise day
eat bbq
watch tv

I've had 3 hour rounds before, only because I was either in a 6 person group, or a threesome where every hole they had to light up. Gets old, real fast.

Obviously my example is a parody of real life.

Most people do not "walk briskly" on the course, and it's rarely a sustained walk. Raking leaves and mowing the lawn is sustained work, you don't stop every 300 feet.

3 rounds at Devens baby. Then tell me you arent exercising. Alot of courses out here have elevation changes and hiking is exercise. Surprising to read this from someone i know plays alot of hilly courses.

Two words: Offensive Linemen

So now football isn't exercise?

Pablo Sandoval hangs out at third base and fields a ball maybe ten times a game, at the most. Offensive linemen ram their bodies into other bodies repeatedly, not to mention running down the field to throw blocks. That's a huge difference. Football is most certainly exercise, and I never made any claim otherwise.

Walking = Exercise
Lifting = Exercise
Throwing = Exercise.

Walking + Lifting + Throwing = Exercise.

The point of this thread is not to discuss whether or not Disc Golf is a super intense and super athletic sport which will put you in great shape. The point of this thread is about a stupid doctor who mocked a patient about something he is completely and utterly ignorant about, while probably about 70% of doctors primary exercise is a weekly round of ball golf on Saturday which makes them so exhausted they sit on the couch all day Sunday.

I know... lets get Ben Askren's opinion on whether or not Disc Golf is exercise.

Your argument that the doctor probably plays a round of golf and is exhausted is no more ignorant than your claim of the doctor's ignorance. It's not a helpful angle if you are just going to bash someone who you feel bashes you.

My overall take after reading this thread has nothing to do with exercise, perceived or not. It is that far too many disc golfers on this forum get way too defensive about disc golf. We play a fringe sport that is not on television, not in P.E. curricula, and still needs to be explained to the casual passerby. Yes, it has elements of exercise, but more often than not you are not raising your heart rate in a meaningful fashion playing disc golf, and it is OK to acknowledge that. Disc golf doesn't have to be exercise. Just let it be what it is.

Are you effing kidding me, Brad? You are SO focused on the fact that DG is not exercise that you're making yourself look troll-ish.

No I'm not kidding or trolling. I'm no more focused on my side of the debate than those on the other side.

3 rounds at Devens baby. Then tell me you arent exercising. Alot of courses out here have elevation changes and hiking is exercise. Surprising to read this from someone i know plays alot of hilly courses.

Devens is an exception to the rule. Especially in a solo round, that course provides quite a workout. My heart rate definitely gets elevated on that course.

There are certainly exceptions, and I'm not saying that you can't use disc golf as exercise in the right conditions. What I've said from the beginning is that in the majority of cases, disc golf is not adequate exercise for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

You can argue the definition of exercise all you want, it's merely a semantic argument. I'm exercising my fingers writing this post, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lose weight if I rant long enough.

The entire discussions started with a medical professional inquiring about an exercise routine and dismissing disc golf as inadequate. In that regard, he is correct. The general rule of thumb for exercise is 30 minutes of sustained activity 3 to 4 times a week. Sustained is the key word here. Disc golf does not provide sustained activity unless you force it.

Do you have any data to support this? I have only seen one piece of actual data posted in this thread, and it supports the opposite point.

Yes, I do. It's this study I did myself called Playing Disc Golf.

And yes, I've done a speed round, in which I burned like 180 calories in 23 minutes on a short pitch and putt. But that's a whole different animal from just playing disc golf on a Saturday, where there is far more start-stop.

There are certainly exceptions, and I'm not saying that you can't use disc golf as exercise in the right conditions. What I've said from the beginning is that in the majority of cases, disc golf is not adequate exercise for maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

You can argue the definition of exercise all you want, it's merely a semantic argument. I'm exercising my fingers writing this post, but that doesn't mean I'm going to lose weight if I rant long enough.

The entire discussions started with a medical professional inquiring about an exercise routine and dismissing disc golf as inadequate. In that regard, he is correct. The general rule of thumb for exercise is 30 minutes of sustained activity 3 to 4 times a week. Sustained is the key word here. Disc golf does not provide sustained activity unless you force it.

I'm with Brad. While I may be getting a little riled up because I can't believe this discussion has so many people who claim disc golf is exercise, I am happy to see people getting out and moving around. We all clearly have very different personal definitions of exercise, but from a medical standpoint disc golf does not qualify.

This is hilarious. Come play the 33 hole layout at standing rocks and tell me it isn't exercise.

I bet the burning in your calves will be "sustained".