• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf is Socializing

Hey some of my fat buddies are play with it is exercise. They are sweating out of breath and working their muscles. Where the muscles are located im unsure as they are fat :).

Yes, I do. It's this study I did myself called Playing Disc Golf.

And yes, I've done a speed round, in which I burned like 180 calories in 23 minutes on a short pitch and putt. But that's a whole different animal from just playing disc golf on a Saturday, where there is far more start-stop.

I'm with Brad. While I may be getting a little riled up because I can't believe this discussion has so many people who claim disc golf is exercise, I am happy to see people getting out and moving around. We all clearly have very different personal definitions of exercise, but from a medical standpoint disc golf does not qualify.

The medical doctor in the initial post is clearly ignorant about what disc golf actually is and what a tough day of field work or 36 hole solo rounds entails. His opinion is not valid, because he is not informed on the subject he is speaking about. It is like someone saying bike riding isnt exercise because you just roll around on wheels.

Exercise is a very broad term. Any doctor who says disc golf isnt exercise to someone over 40 I would call a quack. Anyone who says 2 hours of disc golf is not equivalent to 30 minutes of sustained leaf raking, I would also call a quack.

3 rounds at Devens baby. Then tell me you arent exercising.

Thanks for making the point it isn't really exercise unless you play multiple rounds on a specific course. :thmbup:

With enough qualifiers anything can become an exercise.
Do a lap around your house, now do 300 laps around your house.
Swim a lap in the pool, now try swimming for 2 miles.
Anything done x number of times will tire you out, but does that automatically qualify it as exercise?

Then again, what do I know. Power Walking made it into the Olympics for Christ's sake. :doh:

Internet discussions with no gray area are so entertaining.

My doctor didn't dismiss disc golf as not being exercise. He's perhaps more familiar with it than the O.P.'s doctor. Then again, he didn't say that disc golf alone will make me trim and fit, either.

If he'd said it was "just socializing", I'd have been left to ponder what all those solo rounds say about my social life. But not too hard, lest I realize the answer.

Most doctors are idots. They get paid to PRATICE. Can i ask what in your life have you got paid to pratice?

Fat and out of shape people: "Disc golf is my exercise"

Anyone else that has actually been involved in athletics or fitness: "Disc golf is a walk in the park....literally. Not adequate exercise."

Sure there are exceptions to any rule. "Come play 14 rounds on my course on Mt. Everest and tell me its not exercise!" The reality is most (not all) disc golfers play maybe 1 round/day on a relatively flat course.

And the beer! I carried 4 full bottles (plus a freezer bag) with me on Sunday. It was a workout!! (It was too cold to drink them (low 50s, brrrr).) I finally broke down and opened one halfway through the 2nd round, just to lighten my load if nothing else.

Sounds like you're in great shape.

The medical doctor in the initial post is clearly ignorant about what disc golf actually is and what a tough day of field work or 36 hole solo rounds entails. His opinion is not valid, because he is not informed on the subject he is speaking about. It is like someone saying bike riding isnt exercise because you just roll around on wheels.

Exercise is a very broad term. Any doctor who says disc golf isnt exercise to someone over 40 I would call a quack. Anyone who says 2 hours of disc golf is not equivalent to 30 minutes of sustained leaf raking, I would also call a quack.

Just for fun, I went to a calorie estimator website...

I input frisbee playing for 10 minutes, because I doubt we throw for more than 10 total minutes in a round, and walking for 60 minutes. Yes, disc golf takes a couple hours, but a lot of it is standing around.

Total calories burned: 364

Raking lawn for 70 minutes: 346 calories

They're pretty close. So disc golf is a little bit more exercise than raking the lawn.

Fat and out of shape people: "Disc golf is my exercise"

Anyone else that has actually been involved in athletics or fitness: "Disc golf is a walk in the park....literally. Not adequate exercise."

Sure there are exceptions to any rule. "Come play 14 rounds on my course on Mt. Everest and tell me its not exercise!" The reality is most (not all) disc golfers play maybe 1 round/day on a relatively flat course.

:clap:

A woman spotted John Kruk at a restaurant with a beer and cigarette, and went over and told him that he as an athlete, he needed to set a better example for the kids.

Kruk says, "lady, I ain't an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."

I'm with Brad. While I may be getting a little riled up because I can't believe this discussion has so many people who claim disc golf is exercise, I am happy to see people getting out and moving around. We all clearly have very different personal definitions of exercise, but from a medical standpoint disc golf does not qualify.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/walking/HQ01612

Done with this thread.

Btw bowling is exercise as well; drinking beer not so much, but if I remember correctly its like 10 frames of bowling = .5 or 1 mile of walking. Can't remember the math but its there.

I wonder how many baseball, football, hockey, basketball, wrestling, soccer, etc forums have debates on if their chosen activity is considered enough exercise to be healthy. My guess is none.

Shouldn't it be a red flag if there is actually a debate here. If walking is your exercise, I guess we all get our exercise walking into a theater, walking to your car, walking into Burger King, etc. I bet all you guys calling disc golf adequate exercise are real physical specimens.

I'm not arguing for it, but most of them probably have something they could debate: Baseball - All they do is stand around and occasionally run after the ball, 5 seconds every 10 minutes. Football - plays only last 5-8 seconds then they stand around for at least 40 seconds (Believe me, I played football, the real exercise was during practice, games were mostly sitting around on the bench). Wrestling - They don't even move more than 20 feet, heck we're moving miles on the disc golf course. Hockey... I can't argue that one.

I wonder how many baseball, football, hockey, basketball, wrestling, soccer, etc forums have debates on if their chosen activity is considered enough exercise to be healthy. My guess is none.

Shouldn't it be a red flag if there is actually a debate here. If walking is your exercise, I guess we all get our exercise walking into a theater, walking to your car, walking into Burger King, etc. I bet all you guys calling disc golf adequate exercise are real physical specimens.

Anything can be exercise or not be exercise in certain situations.

DG is "light exercise"
Swimming laps is obviously harder exercise

I could argue that going to the gym isn't exercise; mostly it's looking at women Nd every now and then picking something up.

Bro do you even lift?

FWIW, disc golf does a pretty good job covering multiple exercise areas albeit in moderation. Weight work lifting the bag up and down 50 or more times a round, fast twitch work for the arms and legs mixed with some aerobic walking with extar weight depending on terrain. At one of our courses that was set up around a pond that nearby seniors walked for exercise, several have been seen getting discs to throw as they walk around the asphalt path, not throwing at targets or playing, but just throwing and picking it up for additional "exercise."

Does vacuuming my house count as exercise? How about standing up after I poop? Getting out of bed? Those use muscles, right?

Latest posts