• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf lingo/terms question

JimDK27

Par Member
I am really new to this sport on this message board and I am confused about some terms concerning technique and disc action.

First of all what is turbo putting?

Second, what does it mean to say a disc turns over?

What is the difference between tomahawk and hammer?

Any other common term explanations would be greatly appreciated. (I know what RHFH, RHBH, etc. mean)

I could be wrong here, but if it's released on an anhyzer angle, isn't it an anhyzer? I always thought a turnover was released flat.

"Turnover" doesn't necessarilly connotate a particular angle of release (ie - flat, hyzer, or anhyzer)...it just refers to a shot where the disc's right edge drops (for right-hand back-hand shots) at high speeds. You can release a disc with anhyzer and still have it turn over more to the right (assuming RHBH) than the angle you released it at.

Turbo putt...A Turbo Putt is an overhand throw with the thumb under the disc and fingers gripping the rim for spin. Grabs the chains nicely on regular putts. I have seen a lot of people so this with a regular putter also.

turboputt12.jpg

turboputtspiral1.jpg

Turn over... A throw in which a disc is released flat but is spinning faster than designed. This causes the disc to turn right (RHBH) during flight (I do not know the physics of why). It will fade back left at the end of its flight as the disc slows down if allowed to remain in flight long enough.

Anhyzer... The outside edge of the disc is raised up causing the disc to fly right (RHBH). This is done with the speed of the disc at the design level or slower. It does not necessarily fade back at the end.

Hyzer... The inside edge is raised up causing the disc to fly left (RHBH) at a level exaggerating its normal fade.

Tomahawk... An overhand throw in which your thumb is placed on the top of the disc.

Thumber... An overhand throw in which your thumb is placed in the inside rim of the bottom of the disc.

If I think of some others I will add later.

I've heard the same shot referred to by "tomahawk" & "hammer", and "turnover" used interchangeably with "anhyzer" (though to me there's a distinction).

Turbo Putt refers to the now-banned putter, but also a style of putting, rarely seen, were the disc is held something like a waiter's tray.

I've heard the same shot referred to by "tomahawk" & "hammer", and "turnover" used interchangeably with "anhyzer" (though to me there's a distinction).

Turbo Putt refers to the now-banned putter, but also a style of putting, rarely seen, were the disc is held something like a waiter's tray.

when you flick the wrist forward for putting uphill right?

I know 3 turbo putters, and they are all above average to excellent putters. A turbo putt is actually alot like throwing a dart- you hold the putter at about the same level and use a very similar wrist motion.

when you flick the wrist forward for putting uphill right?

Not sure I can describe the turbo putt. Hold disc about as high as the top of your head, thumb on the bottom, fingers on the outside of the rim. Toss it forward, spinning your hand to the right (RH) as you do.

A few people turbo putt a lot. Most people never do. Occasionally I see someone who does it when they need to putt over bushes or other obstacles (because the release point is 3' higher than a normal putt).

I've seen a few people who were deadly with it, and there's a certain logic to it---a direct, overhand throw.

While were on this subject- I'm new to the Internet- what's all those non dg abbreavations (IMO) or are they dg?

IMO = in my opinion
BTW = by the way
IOT = in other words

I have read the definitions elsewhere, but I still get confused on hyzer flip and turning over. Is turning over similar to having an understable disk? is the hyzer flip a fancy way of saying it S-curved by starting falling right before it turned it natual curve left?

IOT, could some use flight paths to describe flipping and turning over please?

For more info on Hyzer, Anhyzer, Hyzer-flip, Flex...

For most, Hyzer, Anhyzer, Hyzer-flip, Flex shots, are pretty basic terms, but for those who still have question about what these terms actually mean, check out post #6 on the following thread.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6479

Admittedly, I'm plugging my on post here, but my intention is to educate, not to self inflate...

For most, Hyzer, Anhyzer, Hyzer-flip, Flex shots, are pretty basic terms, but for those who still have question about what these terms actually mean, check out post #6 on the following thread.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6479

Admittedly, I'm plugging my on post here, but my intention is to educate, not to self inflate...

thanks. That really helped.

just one more thing: when people say "flip" instead of "turn" is that because a "flip" is when a disc thrown hyzer turns right whereas a "turn" is when is a hyzer turns left? or do they just mean the same thing?:confused:

Turn over - when the disc starts off on a hyzer or flat angle and turns twards an anhyzer angle.

Hyzer flip - when the disc is thrown on a hyzer angle and flips to flat or turned over.

Flex - when a disc that's on an anhyzer angle fades back to flat or twards a hyzer angle.

Some examples of hyzer flps:

- flip to flat and stay that way
- flip to flat and fade back
- flip to flat, stay that way a little while, then turn over and stay that way
- flip to flat, stay that way a little while, then turn over and flex (fade) back
- flip through flat (so it doesn't stay flat for very long) and hold an anhzyer angle

Put a different way, a hyzer flip is a shot that starts on a hyzer but doesn't stay that way.

"Turning over" is when a disc goes from hyzer or flat to anhyzer in the air. Turning over and flipping are the same thing.

Latest posts