• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf made Sportscenter Top 10!

There is a guy at ESPN that has been trying to get it on top10 for the past few big events but no one had caught a tourney ace on video. This is so awesome even if it's just one clip on a daily segment

Yeah, they were trying to get Paul's eagle from the Wintertime Open on as well

^ amazing. But, it doesn't have the same impact. You can't tell the difference for one and two the drive you see for 1 second in and out of a bunch of trees.

I too thought this espy thread was gonna be the two deep putts to tie on 18. The crowd cheering, the stakes. It was all layer out for tv.

But Nates ace on one was BOSSSSS, and the video trick with the trailer was perfect.

i nominate crazy johns enormous roc shot from that tower or covered bridge or whatever.

also if someone could link the video that would be cool.

The commentary was so much more professional back then, and the crowds look like a golf event. What's happened, did someone "un-grow the sport" from the 90's?

The commentary was so much more professional back then, and the crowds look like a golf event. What's happened, did someone "un-grow the sport" from the 90's?

If that's a serious question, yes. Wham-O stopped using disc golf as a way to promote their new toy and that's where the vast majority of that early money came from.

I'm not sure if it's on the net anywhere but Elaine King had the epic skip off the basket from 800+ on the big downhill temp hole 18 at Snowbowl in the 2003 Pro Worlds.

If that's a serious question, yes. Wham-O stopped using disc golf as a way to promote their new toy and that's where the vast majority of that early money came from.

Yes, and no. That event was well after the Wham-o money dried up (which happened pre-PDGA, really). That particular video is of a final 9 staged after the tournament, so much of the "gallery" were players from the event.

The video itself is arguably a forerunner to the SpinTVs and CCDGs we have now on Youtube. But instead of uploading it online, they spent weeks editing actual videotape, dubbed in the commentary, and then sold VHS copies of it to recoup the cost. The PDGA used to do this for Worlds every year (or nearly every year). Might have even been the same production house as that Columbus Open video, as it is the same commentator (John Houck) the Worlds videos used to use.

It's easy, in post-production editing, to make things look a lot better than they do on a live feed, particularly the commentary. If something sounds off...cut...take two.

Cricket is watched by billions worldwide.

Yes it is. A couple of my coworkers left work early today and will be out tomorrow to watch several Cricket games. I had no idea it was so big.

Perhaps, but "billions"? That would be, at a minimum, almost 30% of the world's population. Hardly seems possible.

I've seen estimates that put soccer around 3 billion and cricket around 2 billion as the two most popular sports in the world. Obviously those come with a grain of salt, but I've seen similar numbers to that in several different places.

I'm not sure if it's on the net anywhere but Elaine King had the epic skip off the basket from 800+ on the big downhill temp hole 18 at Snowbowl in the 2003 Pro Worlds.

I couldn't find it but it *is* on the 2003 Worlds dvd. John Houck and Juliana Korver talking about the shot <it almost hit Juliana as she was still putting out when it came in>. If I recall correctly, that was an MRV, also.

I've seen estimates that put soccer around 3 billion and cricket around 2 billion as the two most popular sports in the world. Obviously those come with a grain of salt, but I've seen similar numbers to that in several different places.

This is what I've seen as well.

I've watched pieces of several matches with people explaining the rules, and I still barely have a clue of what's happening. It certainly looks thrilling enough.

I used to play it with some people in MPLS that came from England and hit a "hat-trick" once which literally set the neighborhood in a roar. I seriously had no idea really what I was doing outside of the fact it was pretty similar to baseball and kickball.

Yes, and no. That event was well after the Wham-o money dried up (which happened pre-PDGA, really). That particular video is of a final 9 staged after the tournament, so much of the "gallery" were players from the event.

Just wanted to point out that while much of that gallery was players, one of Brent Hambricks' goals in the days of the Columbus Open was to get non-playing spectators out to the course. Introduce them to the sport and help grow it. Sound familiar? Lots of local press leading up to the tourney encouraging people to come out, especially for the final. To that end there were giveaways just for the public that coincided with the build-up to the Final 9. Free mini's, ice cream, etc. There was a public putting contest closed to competitors where the winner got a practice basket. Bleachers were even set up on the edges of 18's fairway.