• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Player Sponsorship - What does it mean to you?

Team Disc Jock

Bogey Member
black grey.jpgPIAS.jpg
Today we announced that we are co-sponsoring Jason Pinkal of Portland, OR with Play It Again Sports (pictured are DISC JOCK OGIO polos). This has allowed us to get our feet wet, but has also opened the "how can I be sponsored by DISC JOCK" flood gates.

So, it's time to admit that we don't exactly know what exactly sponsorship should entail. Of course, as an apparel company we can outfit our sponsored players with tournament wear. Yet, beyond that we are interested to hear about your ideas.

What experience do you have with sponsorship? What is your ideal sponsor? Do you like it when a company sponsors players of different calibers? What would you expect the differences between say an Innova sponsorship vs DISC JOCK sponsorship? What should be required by the sponsor? What should be required by the sponsored player? What other important sponsorship factors should be considered?

We are interested to see what you think and want to document it here for other upcoming disc golf companies to use in the future.

Thanks!

Provide apparel so that you have a walking billboard on the course and pay the tournament entry fees.

I have no experience with sponsorships myself, but that to me seems like a simple but effective way to sponsor a player.

^ +1... At least give them some apparel for themselves, and maybe 10-20 extra shirts for them to sell, whatever they sell for, is their travel $$, entry fees, backup plastic $$, or what have you... Since you are from Spokane, have you thought about Brian Cook?? Kid has great talent, he was basically born with a disc in his hand, and I think he is going places... He took 2nd at the Windy River, won the DRO, won the Aloha Sushi... Just an idea to further your business

Provide apparel so that you have a walking billboard on the course and pay the tournament entry fees.

I have no experience with sponsorships myself, but that to me seems like a simple but effective way to sponsor a player.

While this is a great suggestion, this truly benefits the player more than the company. The partnership should be equal and more than just a mention of your sponsors name at a major event if you happen to win.

I suggest that a newer company looking to sponsor some players should definately start locally within the state or region of the country. Being an apparel disc golf company, supplying your sponsored players with a selection of shirts/hats to wear on and off the course would be ideal. I also think that supplying your sponsored players with a personalized business card that they can hand out at events they attend is crucial in getting traffic to your website/store location.

I don't think it is necessary to pay 100% entry fees for sponsored players, especially for a company that is looking to spread out their sponsored players among several divisions. However, setting up a system of compensation for events attended (whether playing or volunteering at the event) would be mutually beneficial. Your sponsored players would have more incentive to promote. This system could use an easy layout of type of tournament attended (Unsanctioned, C-Tier, B-Tier, A-Tier...etc.) and reward the sponsored player that attended the event and promoted your company. It could be cash, merchandise, or anything to help offset some costs of travel/entry fees/equipment for the sponsored player.

View attachment 25083View attachment 25084
Today we announced that we are co-sponsoring Jason Pinkal of Portland, OR !

First off, you picked a winner! Jason is a great ambassador of our sport, a great guy, and obviously a fantastic golfer!

I feel for a basic sponsorship partial/full entry fees paid are a no-brainer. Also, as stated above, outfit your player with gear that advertises yourself. You're an apparel company, so give your player a large assortment of your best stuff so that everyone can see it! I don't like the "walking billboard" idea, it's a bit presumptive and impersonal in my opinion. A modest sized embroidered logo is much nicer than a 10" wide screenprint! I know of some companies that give their sponsored players a gas and food stipend as well.

Last edited:
While this is a great suggestion, this truly benefits the player more than the company. The partnership should be equal and more than just a mention of your sponsors name at a major event if you happen to win.

I suggest that a newer company looking to sponsor some players should definately start locally within the state or region of the country. Being an apparel disc golf company, supplying your sponsored players with a selection of shirts/hats to wear on and off the course would be ideal. I also think that supplying your sponsored players with a personalized business card that they can hand out at events they attend is crucial in getting traffic to your website/store location.

I don't think it is necessary to pay 100% entry fees for sponsored players, especially for a company that is looking to spread out their sponsored players among several divisions. However, setting up a system of compensation for events attended (whether playing or volunteering at the event) would be mutually beneficial. Your sponsored players would have more incentive to promote. This system could use an easy layout of type of tournament attended (Unsanctioned, C-Tier, B-Tier, A-Tier...etc.) and reward the sponsored player that attended the event and promoted your company. It could be cash, merchandise, or anything to help offset some costs of travel/entry fees/equipment for the sponsored player.

This sounds like a good set-up. That being said, I honestly don't know much about sponsorships.

As mentioned above, apparel is a great billboard. The obvious trick is to get players who are visible. Continuing with the obvious, tournament winners who get up when they cash and thank their sponsors is the type of player you want. Paying their entrance fee into tournaments will help get them up more often to give that speech.

Open and well known advanced players are the better choices because of their track record of winning, but I would not shy away from established intermediate players. They are the ones least sponsored and thus spend the most money on the sport. They are also the ones who likely have the friends who are willing to splurge on the sport as well. These are also the players who love player packs and will cherish the swag more so than open players who pretty much have everything they need or want for the sport.

Another group to go after is the player who runs leagues. By nature they are already in front of a lot of people. Sponsoring them through prize support can go a long way too.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts! Lots of stuff to think about so far.

Our take is that we are not in this to get rich - we're hanging around the wrong sport (or at least providing the wrong product) if that was our goal. We just want to be a bigger part of the movement and continue to grow the game. To that end, what things do you think a sponsored player could/should be asked to do in return for sponsorship?

For example, do sponsored players typically have any responsibilities other than using the sponsors product and name dropping where applicable? Like has anyone heard of a sponsored player being required to chronicle their preparation, tournament experience, etc? Say pictures of them playing in the tournament, providing write ups/blog posts about their tournament experience, helping put on disc golf clinics, etc.

How much do tournament fees generally run? Is there a standard? Does it differ per competition level or tournament grade?

What is a good/fair way to select sponsored players? Of course, local is good because we can meet them and get to know them prior to sponsorship (if we were not spending so much time in the office), but beyond that what should be done to ensure that we continue to select true ambassadors of the sport? For example, we've played with more than a few pros who had undeniable skills, yet treated amateur/recreational players like second class citizens and that just does not match what we are about / not good for the sport.

To that end, what things do you think a sponsored player could/should be asked to do in return for sponsorship?

Wear the apparel number one. Most sponsored players usually mention their sponsors when they go to get their winnings. They should also try to keep an extra few of the sponsor products (In your case apparel).

For example, do sponsored players typically have any responsibilities other than using the sponsors product and name dropping where applicable?

I know of some that travel great lengths to travel to tournies that are sponsored by their sponsor.
s anyone heard of a sponsored player being required to chronicle their preparation, tournament experience, etc? Say pictures of them playing in the tournament, providing write ups/blog posts about their tournament experience, helping put on disc golf clinics, etc.

Nikko, Cale, Will, and Feldburg are doing it with the Nonstop, but generally they aren't mandatory.

How much do tournament fees generally run? Is there a standard? Does it differ per competition level or tournament grade?

Depends on division
Am: 15-55
Pro:30-120

is there a fair way to select sponsored players?

You should do mostly pros, but you may want a few up and comers. Also try to sponsor both coasts. Greater range of advertisements.

QUOTE]

I think you need to look at the top pros and adv. players in the region... B. Cook, K. Crabtree, J. Garcia, just to name a few pros... Some of them (especially Kyle) I know already have sponsors, but I dont know about apparel sponsors. If these players already have a sponsor covering tourney entries, maybe you could help cover gas, lodging, or food... Out of town tournies end up costing much more than just the entry

P.S. Just an after thought... The more money/gear/support you give your sponsored players, the more willing they will be to go out of their way for you. You dont want some a$$hole representing you, and the sport as a whole, so be careful who you choose

I have an apparel sponsor for a start up company SubPar Disc Golf in WI. I got a large quantity of tshirts last year which helped me pretty much swap my wardrobe out and have disc golf on every tshirt I wear. It is about representing and getting the SubPar name out there, but the most important part is getting none golfers to ask about the shirt and introduce them to the sport so we can help it grow and eventually I can leave the Postal Service and pursue a career in disc golf. I am waiting for this years drifits now that I think about it.

I have an apparel sponsor for a start up company SubPar Disc Golf in WI. I got a large quantity of tshirts last year which helped me pretty much swap my wardrobe out and have disc golf on every tshirt I wear. It is about representing and getting the SubPar name out there, but the most important part is getting none golfers to ask about the shirt and introduce them to the sport so we can help it grow and eventually I can leave the Postal Service and pursue a career in disc golf. I am waiting for this years drifits now that I think about it.

This.

I have this one shirt I wear more than any other during tournaments because I like the way it looks and how it feels when I throw.

5862237412_47e50a0099.jpg

5862229430_f48aa21798.jpg

5493729104_e2cbaa875a.jpg

5493728768_e880594fbd.jpg

Not sure if this is on topic...but I was suprised how many players at BG were sponsored this year. It was interesting though... I don't think anyone on the first card for Advanced (the top 4 rated players) had sponsors. Is this more a midwest/west thing. I don't see many highly rated Am's in this area (NC) sponsored.

Does a player contact the company, or the company contact the player. Maybe we are just lazy here?

*Dang this post was sure to get my reputation points up :p*

Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts! Lots of stuff to think about so far.

Our take is that we are not in this to get rich - we're hanging around the wrong sport (or at least providing the wrong product) if that was our goal. We just want to be a bigger part of the movement and continue to grow the game. To that end, what things do you think a sponsored player could/should be asked to do in return for sponsorship?

For example, do sponsored players typically have any responsibilities other than using the sponsors product and name dropping where applicable? Like has anyone heard of a sponsored player being required to chronicle their preparation, tournament experience, etc? Say pictures of them playing in the tournament, providing write ups/blog posts about their tournament experience, helping put on disc golf clinics, etc.

What is a good/fair way to select sponsored players? Of course, local is good because we can meet them and get to know them prior to sponsorship (if we were not spending so much time in the office), but beyond that what should be done to ensure that we continue to select true ambassadors of the sport? For example, we've played with more than a few pros who had undeniable skills, yet treated amateur/recreational players like second class citizens and that just does not match what we are about / not good for the sport.
I think you'll have a hard time finding the person with the right character.
Back in the day Steve Wisecup was know not just as a great golfer and World Champion, but a great ambassador for the sport. He now lives somewhere on the west coast and very active in disc golf.
I suggest getting in touch with him and I bet he'll be able to help you find the right person for you to sponsor.

Great information here. We appreciate everyone chipping in!

We've also received a few suggestions on sponsoring tournaments. Everyone loves a free disc, but what types of apparel / accessories do you like to receive at tournaments? We've heard quite a few complaints about the quality of shirts at some tournaments - what has your experience been? Do you typically receive light weight cotton, heavy weight cotton, or maybe even dri-fit shirts? What other goodies have you received at a tournament?

Keep the ideas flowing...

I have a pile of dri-fits I will never wear as prizes from tournies. I would prefer a regular t-shirt.

Great information here. We appreciate everyone chipping in!

We've also received a few suggestions on sponsoring tournaments. Everyone loves a free disc, but what types of apparel / accessories do you like to receive at tournaments? We've heard quite a few complaints about the quality of shirts at some tournaments - what has your experience been? Do you typically receive light weight cotton, heavy weight cotton, or maybe even dri-fit shirts? What other goodies have you received at a tournament?

Keep the ideas flowing...

I really like shirts as swag, especially if it does not include graphics that look like they were drawn by kids or anything that I would be ashamed or feel would be inappropriate to wear in front of my kids. I have had some flimsy shirts that seem to have fallen apart after a few washings, but as long as they are at least a step above Hanes t-shirts that are meant to be worn under your normal shirts (no disrespect to Hanes, undershirts are vital for someone casually dressing up), t-shirts are meant to be worn and then thrown away in a few years.

I guess it comes down to the level of tournament you are sponsoring. The more "beer league" it seems, the more fun you can have with your shirts. NT or A teirs, however, may require something along the lines of dri-fits or performance tees.

I guess of all the promotions I have been on the receiving end of, the one that stands out the most was Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. They had a guy camping out at Hole 9 during the Blue Ribbon Pines Open. He was giving away swag to the CTP of every foursome who played through. I was at the tail end of the giveaways so some of the best stuff was already gone, but I won the CTP and walked away with a T-Shirt. Simple shirt too; all black with white printing of the Pabst logo. I do not drink alcohol at all, but it is one of the better t-shirts I have (black goes with everything) and a fond memory.

I have a few cotton shirts from tourney player packs, they shortly (like after 2 or 3 times being worn) became gym shirts, due to unraveling at the seams. I have a few dri fits from tourneys/clubs, and I wear them regularly. They are good quality, I think they look good, and it is a good way to spread word about the sport. I get tons of questions about my dri fits that I wear... I would rather pay an extra 5-10 bucks to enter a tourney, if I knew I would get a dri-fit instead of cheap, gym shirt quality cotton