• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Player Sponsorship - What does it mean to you?

Sponser Matt Orum--He needs some fashion help:

p207448199-2.jpg
Those are sweet Bermudas with matching socks.

I love dri-fit shirts but it seems like all the bigger tournaments are giving these away now. i have a pile of them that i will never wear. also koozies are a very popular item and i have a bag full of these that will never be touched.

I would like to see more long sleeve shirts or nalgene water bottles. And if you really want to impress give them one of these for their nalgene http://www.rei.com/product/729119/guyot-designs-splashguard-universal.

I would recommend t-shirts that are made of ring spun cotton. Anvil and Canvas both make great shirts that you can purchase through broder. They have a much softer feel to them, and are more breathable than regular cotton. If you are producing a dri-fit shirt/polo, then I would recommend the mesh polyester. Ultra club by san-mar makes an excellent performance polo.

Both of these options are slightly more expensive for the supplier, but are so superior in quality that it more than makes up for the cost. I work in the apparel imprinting industry and cringe whenever a customer asks for a cheap dri-fit.:wall:

I love dri-fits, sooooo much better in the summer than a cotton t-shirt. And anybody that has a pile they won't wear, I'll gladly take them! :D

I hear ya, I have 5 local club shirts and now added a tourney drifit. Still kooking for more.

As for the topic. I started quazit disc golf right after I started playing, we sponsored a couple of locals for a while. Shirts, a couple molds they requested, and local tourney fed's. We planned to cover partial fees for out of town along g with ride and place to crash. The ride and place was mostly due to me going to play also. Unfortunately its rather pricey to really get enough of an inventory for web sales...

I don't feel Dg sponsors should cover most of the cost of touring with cash, more of a commission style support. Maybe look at creating unique web links for your sponsored players to give out so you can track who is providing more ROI.

Disc Golf Sponsorship

I have been playing and observing this sport for twenty years and have played alongside and interviewed Ken Climo back in the mid nineties. I have seen so many more tournaments than i can count and have accumulated what i consider to be a fairly good understanding of the machinations of disc golf at the professional, amateur, tour director, and public awareness level.

Companies looking to sponsor individuals must have a stated goal they wish to accomplish via that relationship in order to maximise their success. Obviously, the bottom line is profits, so the question that follows that assumption is what type of player is going to be the best fit for getting the word out? And is there a particular market segment that the company is looking to attract? Web based sales? In store retail? Overseas? Different people will be needed based upon those goals, and i think the interview process for a potential sponsor recipient should include a particular willingness for that person to have their schedule and activities dictated or at least approved by the company that is paying their bills.

Personal character is a huge factor here. I have seen many pro players that were challenged to speak in front of people or to promote even themselves. These people, while putting up impressive numbers, would hardly be an ideal type tp sign on. What about teaming up a company representative with a player and sending them out on mini tours or to single events together? Then you have your celebrity face and your business is well represented by someone who knows the company rather than putting that burden on the player, who is there at the event to compete and is not going to be able to wear both shoes effectively.

And what about sponsoring clinics? Or sponsoring a CTP or Ace fund at a particular event? There are so many possibilities for businesses to help grow this sport and to build their own customer base that i am shocked that no one out of specific companies have taken advantage.