• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour - Finals

How are tomorrow's groups assigned? What in the formula encouraged one player to tank a couple of throws?

The top 8 from the tour got a bye and were already distributed amongst tomorrow's 4 cards, then the top 8 from today moved on. Since it was known what players were against which of today's seeds, he took the cowards way and put himself on what he thought would be the easier card.

How did the players get assigned to cards? How did the Top 8 get assigned to 4 cards, and how did a player today know which card he'd end up on, subject to his finish?

Was it done by seeding? 1&8, 2&7, 3&6, 4&5, based on DGPT tour points for the Top 8, and tour points or today's finish, for the next 8?

How did the players get assigned to cards? How did the Top 8 get assigned to 4 cards, and how did a player today know which card he'd end up on, subject to his finish?

Was it done by seeding? 1&8, 2&7, 3&6, 4&5, based on DGPT tour points for the Top 8, and tour points or today's finish, for the next 8?

Names and points are not up to date, but the seeding is shown in this image:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.dgpt.com/2016/09/dgpt16mpo-gmc-page-001_orig-900x631.jpg

Names and points are not up to date, but the seeding is shown in this image:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.dgpt.com/2016/09/dgpt16mpo-gmc-page-001_orig-900x631.jpg

Thanks. That answers my question.

There's nothing new to the fact that seeding a tournament sometimes results in someone benefiting from losing to get a more favorable seed. It goes with the territory.

The solution is probably to just live with it. Unless you've got the money to pay a bonus to the top finishers in the quarterfinals, which would at least have them paying for the gambles.

The format is definitely "made-for-TV" and it's paying off so far. Lots of drama and intrigue as the groups played the last few holes of the round and in a couple cases, extra holes.

Just a little concerned that the final round is going to be a little anti-climactic compared to the semis since there is just the one group to watch. Still fun to watch though.

The seeding for the Semi-Final cards needs some work. Card 1 had 3 of the top 5 PDGA rated players (and 3 of 8 1030+) in the world on it.

We MAY be starting with the FPO soon... Same link as MPO.

Just keep your eyes open.

The coverage and action has been great thus far.

This morning's round, which had near-constant 3 card coverage and very few ads, was the best disc golf I've ever watched. The commentary has been stop-on, with just the right mixture of stats, play-by-play action, and humor. Can't really find anything to nit pick at, other than a few low volume mic situations, which they quickly resolved.

Thank you so much to everyone who has invested their time, effort and $ to give us freeloaders at home an amazing experience!! :thmbup::D:hfive:

The seeding for the Semi-Final cards needs some work. Card 1 had 3 of the top 5 PDGA rated players (and 3 of 8 1030+) in the world on it.

If the intent was to give the top 5 rated players the best chance to advance to the finals, they'd have set it up that way. Clearly, they wanted to the results of the tour and the quarterfinals to determine the match-ups, not results from outside of the tour (which is what PDGA ratings would have brought into the equation).

Frankly, I find it more intriguing to watch because it isn't all the same old faces.

If the intent was to give the top 5 rated players the best chance to advance to the finals, they'd have set it up that way. Clearly, they wanted to the results of the tour and the quarterfinals to determine the match-ups, not results from outside of the tour (which is what PDGA ratings would have brought into the equation).

Frankly, I find it more intriguing to watch because it isn't all the same old faces.

Clearly, you don't understand the point of seeded tournament progression if you don't think it is to provide the top seeds with the best chance to advance...

Clearly, at no point did I state the PDGA ratings should be used to determine the matchups in my statement. I did use them as a metric to discuss who the best players in the world currently are. Feel free to dismiss a year's worth of cumulative performance to determine a players skill and consistency in discussion though.

Clearly, you don't understand the point of seeded tournament progression if you don't think it is to provide the top seeds with the best chance to advance...

Clearly, at no point did I state the PDGA ratings should be used to determine the matchups in my statement. I did use them as a metric to discuss who the best players in the world currently are. Feel free to dismiss a year's worth of cumulative performance to determine a players skill and consistency in discussion though.

I understand perfectly what seeded tournament progression is. They're looking to reward the players who played the best on the Disc Golf Pro Tour, not the players that have the best cumulative performance over the whole year at events that mostly were not DGPT events. Using the Tour points standings to seed the players does that well enough. And by that metric, the best four players (the top four in the standings) each had separate paths to the final, which is all they can really ask for.

Honestly, outside of using ratings or some other metric from outside the DGPT, I'm not sure what they could do differently to make sure the groupings provided the top seeds with the best chance to advance. Maybe there's a slight quibble in how they assigned the quarterfinal berths. Presuming that the players that got the bye are seeded 1-8, then the standings from the quarterfinals are arguably seeds 9-16. If that is the case, then maybe the quarterfinalists that advanced could have been sorted differently.

Regardless, the end result still would likely have been a grouping or two that were overly stacked with highly rated players. It just might have been a different group than the one Ricky was in.

Thinking aloud---what if the 8 who placed in quarterfinals could choose their cards, based on the order of finish?

The cards were half-set with the exempt players, so Drew (if he hadn't tanked the last hole) could choose which card he wanted, then Cam, etc. It would certainly be motivation to finish as high as possible.

Since this event is constructed for drama and intrigue, wouldn't that add a touch more?

I understand perfectly what seeded tournament progression is. They're looking to reward the players who played the best on the Disc Golf Pro Tour, not the players that have the best cumulative performance over the whole year at events that mostly were not DGPT events. Using the Tour points standings to seed the players does that well enough. And by that metric, the best four players (the top four in the standings) each had separate paths to the final, which is all they can really ask for.

Honestly, outside of using ratings or some other metric from outside the DGPT, I'm not sure what they could do differently to make sure the groupings provided the top seeds with the best chance to advance. Maybe there's a slight quibble in how they assigned the quarterfinal berths. Presuming that the players that got the bye are seeded 1-8, then the standings from the quarterfinals are arguably seeds 9-16. If that is the case, then maybe the quarterfinalists that advanced could have been sorted differently.

Regardless, the end result still would likely have been a grouping or two that were overly stacked with highly rated players. It just might have been a different group than the one Ricky was in.

I simply stated the seeding could use some work. I'm sorry you seem to think the only acceptable viewpoint was that it was perfect.

12 of the qualified 48 didn't show up = 1/4 of the eligible field
19 of the qualified 48 missed 2 or more of 5 DGPT events

Might as well have everyone throw a drive and seed by CTP... probably as representative as the DGPT points are.

Latest posts