• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Prodigy

I was watching some stupid video of idiot kids running around a park smashing things with discs, thinking how bad it would be if our parks dept saw such a thing (talk about a bad impression of disc golf!), and then I noticed it was Will Schusterick!

Very disappointing, to say the least, and very bad PR for Prodigy. And we had been hoping that the next generation of pro golfers would be more professional! I guess not.

I don't know about all that, I thought the video was pretty sweet. As long as one can understand that its not commonplace for disc golfers smash glasses and plates in public parks, it's pretty hard to get worked up over it.

they said straight away that they picked up all the glass and debris. but yes it does appear alcohol is involved. It's kids being kids. You never did anything just dumb and destructive when you were young?

keltik said:
Flipflat said:
shiny happy person over here

btw, what line of work you in?

I was in automotive for the last decade. What other industry puts southerners around Michiganders?

I do own a Yooper hat! that thing is so warm.
Is it a Stormy Kromer? Those are made in my hometown, Ironwood MI. Up by Lake Superior, God dammed coldest place you will ever go. We got a badass statue of Hiawatha, though.

Actually, I'm lying. Houghton is colder than Ironwood.

ferretdance03 said:
Looks like fun to me. But I highly doubt they got every little piece of glass picked up.
i guess it's official and i've finally reached "old fart" stage. i saw the video on FB and thought it was pretty lame. and you're right, there is no way they picked up all that glass.

Most disc golf courses are on public land, we have to be respectful about how we conduct ourselves in these settings. If somebody at the parks dept for the course where that was filmed saw that video, or the old ladies in the neighborhood caught wind of it, how do you think they'd feel about it? It looks like unruly boys being wantonly destructive, like vandals. It's not good, and reflects poorly on the sport. It doesn't matter if they picked up the glass, the act itself just looks bad.

Think about it another way: if you were pulling up to your home course and some kids were out there smashing stuff on one of your baskets, how would you feel? I guarantee there would be some ass-whooping.

I know they didn't mean it that way, and we all did stuff like that as teens, but it is different if you're posting it on youtube and you're the star professional player for a new disc golf company, as well as one of the emerging new faces of the sport.

Anyways, after thinking about it, he will probably take that video down. I hope so.

On another note, I love the slo-mo impact of the predator, you can really see it taco! I always wondered how much the flex test mattered to actual impacts, and I one calculated the bending compression of a disc one would expect upon impact, and this video agrees with that very nicely.

I don't see how you can be so adamantly opposed to something like this. It's a short one-time video with some cool camera work. Did they smash a hundred bottles? No, they smashed a few, and made a sincere effort to pick up the pieces. It's the first and probably last time it will happen.

If you're that concerned about the image of disc golf and conserving public parks, focus your efforts on something like the ever abundant beer cans or cigarette butts that inundate nearly every single course.

Working Stiff said:
keltik said:
Flipflat said:
shiny happy person over here

btw, what line of work you in?

I was in automotive for the last decade. What other industry puts southerners around Michiganders?

I do own a Yooper hat! that thing is so warm.
Is it a Stormy Kromer? Those are made in my hometown, Ironwood MI. Up by Lake Superior, God dammed coldest place you will ever go. We got a badass statue of Hiawatha, though.

Actually, I'm lying. Houghton is colder than Ironwood.

I'm not sure. I haven't seen it since we moved last March. Now is a good time for that bad boy.

allsport1313 said:
If you're that concerned about the image of disc golf and conserving public parks, focus your efforts on something like the ever abundant beer cans or cigarette butts that inundate nearly every single course.

I do. Don't you?

JHern said:
allsport1313 said:

I do. Don't you?

Strawman fallacy. But really, if you're worried about an unprecedented three minute video of Will smashing a couple bottles and plates, then you have grossly overestimated Will's outreach and the marginal benefit of patrolling such an innocuous trivia.

allsport1313 said:
JHern said:
allsport1313 said:

I do. Don't you?

Strawman fallacy...

I don't think you know what a strawman is...

Place yourself in the shoes of a municipal leader that knows nothing of the sport and is approached by a person(s) that want municipal land and money for setting up a new disc golf course. Due diligence suggests the leader looks up information pros and cons about disc golf. Seeing that that leader may not know anything about anything seeing this video leaves the impressions of kids breaking heads with flying wheels of death. This video does not convey how quickly the discs slow down and how few have the power of those throwers and how those long throwers also need to act more carefully due to the extra power vs normal players just like gun owners need to be extra careful. The risk analysis is going to be seriously off if this was the first piece they saw. A busy person might stop their information search there say no to the course and move on to the next agenda.

I have no problem with what they did just where they did it. I mean that is fun and all but it should have been in a controlled environment where you know that no one would get hurt or that all the glass would have been picked up. They also could have left the alcohol out of it. As we see more and more opposition to disc golf courses this video really can be enough for any park system on the verge of pulling or stopping a course going in giving the opposition more fire power to convince them. I wish would have done it at a place that was away from a course, which would have looked just as good and not like a bunch of punks at disc disc golf course destroying things.I have met Will and talked to him several times on my show and he is a great kid I just wish he would have used a bit more common sense when he did this.

JHern said:

Well, you've done it again with a perfect example - disregarded everything I addressed in favor of some phantom discussion we weren't even having.
And wiki it, it has many, many meanings ;)

no way they got all the glass, reinforcing old stereotypes about disc golf being a "goofing around" kind of hobby, needless destruction...

All I could keep asking myself during this video was, "What is the point?"

what were they hoping to get out of this?

allsport1313 said:
JHern said:

Well, you've done it again with a perfect example - disregarded everything I addressed in favor of some phantom discussion we weren't even having.
And wiki it, it has many, many meanings ;)
Dude, it was a direct quote from you. So you started the fallacy? :lol:

this thread should be called"silly youtube video with < 2000 views destroys fringe sport image around the world."

Latest posts