• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rangefinder

DiscJunkie

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Got a little Christmas money to spend.
I've been thinking about a rangefinder to use one to measure my throws.
Is there a rangefinder out there that I can use to measure the distance to my disc? I throw across a baseball field, and I'd like to be able to spot the disc and get a measurement.

Anybody have any experience with this?

I just did this today in the soccer fields. Mine measures in yards so I just converted to feet in my head. Mine was able to pinpoint the disc and give me an accurate reading. I say go for it!

none, but from what I know about the analog ball golf range finders is they use the flag poles to det3rmine distance. Not sure about the digital ones but IMO a disc golf range finder would be super fun and maybe very useful on an unknown course....

if you only want to use while throwing in a field why not buy a 15 dollar wheel measuring device and predetermine distances. Put cones up at 280 300 320 so on. Beats paying a couple hundred on a range finder

I just did this today in the soccer fields. Mine measures in yards so I just converted to feet in my head. Mine was able to pinpoint the disc and give me an accurate reading. I say go for it!

Exactly what kind do you have??

if you only want to use while throwing in a field why not buy a 15 dollar wheel measuring device and predetermine distances. Put cones up at 280 300 320 so on. Beats paying a couple hundred on a range finder

I have a wheel, and it works fine, except that it's cumbersome.
Looking for convenient, instant feedback to maximize my time throwing.

I agree that it's not the economical solution, but I'm looking for something that I can blow my Christmas money on.

I've got a Bushnell ball golf rangefinder. I find that if I put the line on top of the basket and read yards as feet, its pretty darn close.
Got it at a garage sale for 50 cents. Literally never used.

I have a wheel, and it works fine, except that it's cumbersome.
Looking for convenient, instant feedback to maximize my time throwing.

I agree that it's not the economical solution, but I'm looking for something that I can blow my Christmas money on.

My wheel folds up into three parts and fits in my bag. But dont let me keep you from spending christmas money lol. But for the price of a range finder you can buy a portable basket to practice putting.

Do you have a smartphone? In an open space like a baseball field you should be able to get enough satellites to be accurate down to 4ft or so, and there are apps that let u tag two spots and measure between them. There's even golf specific ones that let you go around and tag all the pins, after that you can get distance to pin from anywhere on a hole

If you're doing field work...do the cone / distance wheel idea. I use 3 cones at 200-300-400. Once it's set up it's a breeze. Football fields are great too, 360 from goal to goal with 10, 30ft markers in between. lol...

I do the cone thing as well with my phone app, and it's close enough if by some chance one of the football fields is taken. There are 3 soccer fields and 2 football fields all cut to regulation size so it makes it very easy.

Yes, it's field work.
The park closest to my house has a LL baseball field and I have to throw across the outfield, from the 3rd base line to the far corner of right field in order to get 400' of distance.

I think I've talked myself out of the rangefinder.
Should be able to get the distance info I need using everyone's alternate suggestions.
Thanks guys.

Unless you are playing on really short grass and have a very steady hand it's really hard using a laser finder for the disc itself.

Beyond 250' I start to lose sight of the disc on the ground where i practice (soccer field length grass) and have had to measure distance points with the bag or goalposts to work from. It's really hard at that range without a tripod to keep the finder steady enough to convince yourself you are measuring the disc and not a patch of ground 30' in front/behind, slightest twitch and you have moved it 30'

I'd think you could just use a smartphone with a GPS app and put a placemark where you tee off and where each disc lands. Tag the placemarks with what they represent, and you'll have a pretty good estimation of distance. You could even tag each with the date and track improvements.

Unless you are playing on really short grass and have a very steady hand it's really hard using a laser finder for the disc itself.

The trick isn't to measure the disc from the tee, but to measure the tee from the disc. Just use the tee sign as the target or, if you are not throwing from a tee with sign, use your bag. If you need a bigger target because you are throwing it that far, bring something with you to use as a target.

I just got a used Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport. I've lazed some stuff in the yard, but haven't been on the course with it yet. I'll probably just tag nearby trees, since it needs a big enough area for the laser to reflect back to it so it can calculate how long it took to determine distance. I've read really high light levels can wash out the laser and rain can confuse it. Does anyone else have experience or tips with these things?

I also got a free app called Smart Distance that I'm gonna try to calibrate using the rangefinder, cuz it might actually be easier to use with baskets being a pretty standard size. Has anyone tried it or another rangefinder app with success?