• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst part is if no one makes their putt that was the closest, everyone is back in and we have to do a throw off system. So basically if my buddy who is 30 feet out drills his putt and I am 20 feet out and miss my putt but am the closest, I still don't win.

putt better

This isn't a tourney rule, but the guy who runs our leagues has a rule that you HAVE to make your putt to win CTP.

The worst part is if no one makes their putt that was the closest, everyone is back in and we have to do a throw off system. So basically if my buddy who is 30 feet out drills his putt and I am 20 feet out and miss my putt but am the closest, I still don't win.

This is a great idea! :thmbup:

This isn't a tourney rule, but the guy who runs our leagues has a rule that you HAVE to make your putt to win CTP.

One of our Leagues does that with "Dirty Dollars" but not with CTP's.

With CTP's those are established before the round and the rule is as simple as the name, Closest to Pole wins it.

But with Dirties, that is an optional form of CTP where anyone can toss down a $1 and go for the CTP, usually done on short holes. The catch is you need to validate it by making the putt. So if Mr 20 footer misses and Mr 30 footer hits, Mr 30 wins. Nobody validates, dirties carry over to the next short hole.

I know a guy who will call a rule on you all day long if you break it, but if he breaks a rule and you call him on it he'll argue with you for the next half hour about how he didn't break it. Quite annoying/frustrating.

I know a guy who will call a rule on you all day long if you break it, but if he breaks a rule and you call him on it he'll argue with you for the next half hour about how he didn't break it. Quite annoying/frustrating.
That's why things get seconded.

If you are gonna throw the rule book at someone in a situation like this........you could also throw this one. Or just be fascist a hole if that's what turns you on.
803.01 Obstacles And Relief
Last updated: Thursday, July 18, 2013 - 18:19
Obstacles to a Stance or Throwing Motion: With the exception of casual obstacles to a stance as described below, a player is not allowed to move any obstacle on the course. No relief is granted from park equipment (such as signs, trash cans, or picnic tables), which is considered to be part of the course. A player is allowed to request that other people remove themselves and/or their belongings from the player's stance or line of play.
Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are on or behind the lie: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the Director before the round. To obtain relief, the player must remove the obstacle if it is practical to do so. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the target, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie (unless greater casual relief is announced by the Director).
Course equipment may always be restored to its proper working order, including the clearing of obstacles.
A player shall receive one penalty throw, without a warning, for violation of an obstacle or relief rule.
A player who purposely damages any part of the course shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning. The player may also be disqualified from the tournament, in accordance with Section 3.3 of the Competition Manual.
803.02 Optional Relief and Optional Re-throw

Optional Relief. A player may elect at any time to take optional relief. The lie may then be relocated to a new lie which is no closer to the target, and is on the line of play. One penalty throw shall be added to the player's score.
Optional Re-throw. A player may elect at any time to re-throw from the previous lie. The original throw plus one penalty throw shall be counted in the player's score.

Copy and paste feature makes me look smart!

Love this. I had a little spat with one of our more seasoned players (and local TD) a while ago about a huge broken branch that my disc landed under. I had the rule book on my ****ter for probably a month by that time so I had it pretty well memorized and I told him that this was one of those occasions where you can get casual relief. He disagreed and said I had to play it where it landed without moving the branch. Luckily I had another copy of the rule book(which he had provided at the last tounament) and showed him this rule. He was not mad at all, he was glad to know it. I guess the moral of the story is to know and follow the rules by the book and if someone is wrong about a rule just show them(in a non-threatening manner) where in the book the rule is.

Love this. I had a little spat with one of our more seasoned players (and local TD) a while ago about a huge broken branch that my disc landed under. I had the rule book on my ****ter for probably a month by that time so I had it pretty well memorized and I told him that this was one of those occasions where you can get casual relief. He disagreed and said I had to play it where it landed without moving the branch. Luckily I had another copy of the rule book(which he had provided at the last tounament) and showed him this rule. He was not mad at all, he was glad to know it. I guess the moral of the story is to know and follow the rules by the book and if someone is wrong about a rule just show them(in a non-threatening manner) where in the book the rule is.

Great story medger, it really pays to be familiar with the rules and have a rulebook handy when these kind of situations arise. Much easier to pull out the rule book and determine the proper course of action then to try and solve it without one. :thmbup:

I wasn't "messing" with anything in front of my lie. I entered the bush from the side parallel to my lie. and the rule specially states

"A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course. Once a legal stance is taken, the player may not move an obstacle in any way in order to make room for a throwing motion. It is legal for a player's throwing motion to cause incidental movement of an obstacle."

If you read the who rule in context, the last part is critical. In context I would argue that the moving of an obstacle refers to the removal of an object not causing an object to move with your motion, hence the last part. It's all about context.

Once again I did not hold anything out of the way, step on anything or sit on anything, I entered the bush from the side to establish my lie and was setting up for my shot when I was told I had an illegal stance. In that situation, 95% of the people that I have played with would never call that. And as a former certified rules official and many times TD, I would have never called that.

Harris, you're gonna have to show me a video. Re-create it if you can, then I can say whether I believe the "backing in" and subsequent throw was from a legal stance or not.

Can you show me that contract? With my signature? Otherwise I'm pretty sure that consent is implied.

Title 26, U.S. Code. "All United States citizens..."

I get that you don't like being taxed. There are plenty of countries who don't, so therefore, it's not something you have to do. However, you knowingly choose to live in the greatest country of all, the USA, in which we agree to pay taxes in exchange for many services, including defense of our freedom. That was the way our forefathers created the USA. Taxation and representation.

Not gonna thread-jack and continue further, because I think you know what I mean. Nothing "implicit" about it. Every adult citizen with mental capabilities knows that.

Last edited:
Title 26, U.S. Code. "All United States citizens..."

I get that you don't like being taxed. There are plenty of countries who don't, so therefore, it's not something you have to do. However, you knowingly choose to live in the greatest country of all, the USA, in which we agree to pay taxes in exchange for many services, including defense of our freedom. That was the way our forefathers created the USA. Taxation and representation.

Not gonna thread-jack and continue further, because I think you know what I mean. Nothing "implicit" about it. Every adult citizen with mental capabilities knows that.

Agree to pay taxes? Taxes are voluntary, ask Wesley Snipes~

Back on topic.

I do believe that being a good communicator and utilizing what I learned as "preventive officiating" helps in these situations ... and I believe I am one who is reasonably knowledgeable about the rules because I study them. I spent time as a sports official for baseball and football, over 20 years, ranging from the pee-wees to division I NCAA. Rules study, particularly of the definitions, is critical. But even those who study them a lot can't remember everything -- many things aren't cemented into your mind until they actually occur.

I was play a lot of local events and being in age-protected division I typically see the same competitors regularly. I was not very good for a good while and these guys typically beat me with ease. Then I started getting better. Once when I was just beginning to excel in my division, I was playing a tournament and got called for a foot fault on a drive from a temp or natural tee, marked only with two flags. The actual tee line between those two flags was quite short, maybe 2 feet wide. The hole was designed as a tunnel shot and there was a tight wooded path, maybe 15-20 ft wide, which began about 30-40 ft out on a 430+ ft hole. And I have a size 16 shoe. So as would typically do on this situation, I'd take a run up from the far right, up ahead at an angle (on a trap-shaped cement tee pad it would be from bottom right toward upper left) and make my drive. I split that gap with my drive, right down the middle and get perfectly to the landing zone 270 or so feet out. But i was called for a foot fault (stance violation) -- now this was 2 or 3 years ago while "a second" was still required. After the first guy calls it (a known sometimes "gamer" -- seems to mention knowing a lot of rules throughout the round), a few seconds later another guy (not a gamer) says, yeah, I kinda think it was, too. I ask them to describe what the foot fault was, and the guy who called it only says, that was a fault on your release. I kept asking, "for what?" "Was I across the line?" "Was my foot off to the side of the two flags, what?" The gamer just says "you faulted."

The other guy then tells me that when I used the diagonal run up, the front of my pivot foot was lined up inside the right hand flag, but as I spun on my heel, it looked to him that it was not directly behind or inside of the flag. I said, "does it have to be?" And then the good guy tells me that when a tee is only marked by flags (tee line), you assume a perfectly rectangular tee box area and it extends three meters back from the front two flags. I didn't realize at the time that the rule was written that way. I told them that it was no problem, that I'd accept the call, but I want y'all to help me understand where the teeing area is for the rest of the round, because I know there's a few more tees like that. They agreed (led by the good guy) and if I needed to draw an actual full rectangular box, they let me and agreed that teeing from inside the drawn box was legal each time before I threw.

Things I have been considered a rules-nazi for:

Correcting a drunkard when he misreported his score. Twice.

Correcting sober people who blatantly misreport their scores. In my experience so far, this happens on my card at least once per tournament, but only in the summer.

Generally thinking that if you're playing a sanctioned event you should at the very least be able to keep track of your score. [and/or not lie about it]

Stroking people for despair putts (ie, throwing a second putt when they feel they should've made the first.) Practice throw - no warning. (arguably an optional rethrow, but as they didn't state their intention..)

Knowing what a provisional is and when to use it. "You can't do that!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts