• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Rule Nazi Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of you measurement guys; make sure to note that the rules Nazis that have appeared in this thread (which as been the majority of the responders); have already noted that if you're supporting with your heel instead of...

you can point out that the rules stipulate a supporting point on your lie.

Not your only or even your main supporting point, just any one of them. If you let them put a pressure mat underneath your foot and they can show that no point along your lie is being put pressure on by your shoe, you're SOL.
Otherwise: nice try.

Of course amongst reasonable people ... oh wait, wrong thread. ;)

I would need to hear it from Chuck, that this is a legal stance.
All three of those graphics are correct. The cool scenario is when your disc is maybe 15" from the pipe and you're tall enough to straddle with both feet 16" away on both sides of the basket.

I would need to hear it from Chuck, that this is a legal stance.

It's in the definition of the rules. No other supporting point closer to the basket means that if you drew a line from the right foot in that second diagram to the basket, it would measure longer than the measurement from the mini to the pin. The set of points the same distance from a center point define a circle, and as long as all your supporting points are outside that circle you're fine.

Well I was looking forward to playing my first tourney this year. Because of where I live it would have to most likely be in the twin cities. After reading this thread I have decided not.to play any tourneys or league play in the cities.

Well I was looking forward to playing my first tourney this year. Because of where I live it would have to most likely be in the twin cities. After reading this thread I have decided not.to play any tourneys or league play in the cities.

don't be a puss, man. it's gonna be fun and we're all gonna enjoy it, yourself included. there is pedantry everywhere online, especially here - this is where things can be hashed out and make for a fun discussion, possibly encouraging you to second guess what you may have thought you knew, revising interpretations and resulting in greater knowledge as you do some very important fact checking-you as a general term, not specifically you, of course. rule nazis are everywhere, not just in the twin cities, and they are far less likely to have an impact on your game if you know the rules. many of the stories are examples of how you can be taken advantage of if you don't know the rules.

Are you saying it would be harder to not play by the rules in the Cities?

What I am saying is it sounds like it would mot be any fun playing in the cities. It sounds to me lile there are a bunch of nit picking jerks over there. I have taken the off season to learn and understand the rules, but after reading the comments of some on this thread I feel I would be overly worried I was doing something wrong and that would take away from the expierience. We have leagues and some tourneys around where I live. I will just stay on my side of the border.

What I am saying is it sounds like it would mot be any fun playing in the cities. It sounds to me lile there are a bunch of nit picking jerks over there.

We have leagues and some tourneys around where I live. I will just stay on my side of the border.
I'd be careful. Those nitpicking jerks probably come to your side of the border too on occasion. If its a sanctioned event, and their "nitpicking" happens to be backed up by the rulebook, then any associated infraction they might point out sticks there too.

If one is willing to forgo an experience because of something that might happen (but 98% of the time doesn't), and only learned about via secondhand accounts on an internet forum, they really haven't said much about whatever it is they fear. They've strangely enough though said a lot about their own fragile ego.

Last edited:
If one is willing to forgo an experience because of something that might happen (but 98% of the time doesn't),

i agree with those numbers. i've never had a bad time at league, i love it. don't skip out just because of some people on here with nothing better to do, myself included right now. tournaments will be the same. my experience comprises just a couple isolated incidents of misunderstanding/presumption and a couple people that were already douchebags to start with. ;)

First one guy calls me a puss, then the next says I am scared and have a fragile ego. You guys are the exact type of people I hope to god I never have to play with. I am very confident in my game, and myself. I look at this as a fun game, not a d*** measuring contest. Sometimes I wonder if half the self absorbed kmow it all jerks on this forum (of which there are many) even know how to have fun.

First one guy calls me a puss, then the next says I am scared and have a fragile ego. You guys are the exact type of people I hope to god I never have to play with. I am very confident in my game, and myself. I look at this as a fun game, not a d*** measuring contest. Sometimes I wonder if half the self absorbed kmow it all jerks on this forum (of which there are many) even know how to have fun.
In otherwords, you claim to the be the kind of guy that probably 90% of the people you're insulting on here are in real life.

You're not going to be terribly convincing if you carry on with this whiny tone over some comments on a message board, about something you haven't actually experienced. So how about you go play some tournaments and report back to us. Who knows, you might enjoy yourself and find that your fears were unfounded.

What I am saying is it sounds like it would mot be any fun playing in the cities. It sounds to me like there are a bunch of nit picking jerks over there. I have taken the off season to learn and understand the rules, but after reading the comments of some on this thread I feel I would be overly worried I was doing something wrong and that would take away from the experience. We have leagues and some tourneys around where I live. I will just stay on my side of the border.

Actually you would probably not enjoy tournaments where you are either but you might enjoy league play (usually more laid back). People ask me why I don't play tournies despite having played triple digit different courses and making several discations a year. I don't have the patience. I can play 4-6 courses in a day by myself or with one other person. Would I be competitive? Probably not even though I beat guys all the time because I know mentally the pace would get to me. If I started worrying about the rules too much (e.g. am I really landing my foot on the line within 30 cm of my marker?), I'm sure I would screw up as well. So if you want to avoid potential stress altogether just play fun rounds with your buddies and maybe try a league.

Our math does not correlate, lol....

Found my silly math error....

at 30 foot with a 3 foot stance your off foot could be 1.8 inches roughly farther forward. at 10 foot it would be 5.3 inches roughly.

**I used the wrong number at first, my bad....

at 10 foot with a 5 foot stance your off foot could be roughly 14 inches farther forward ;)

I made the same mistake at first but I was drawing it on a computer so it exposed itself before I posted. I was able to hide my mistake. :thmbup:

What I am saying is it sounds like it would mot be any fun playing in the cities. It sounds to me lile there are a bunch of nit picking jerks over there. I have taken the off season to learn and understand the rules, but after reading the comments of some on this thread I feel I would be overly worried I was doing something wrong and that would take away from the expierience. We have leagues and some tourneys around where I live. I will just stay on my side of the border.

I did not know all the dbags were voted off Wisconsin and exiled to Minnesota. I think such a high and mighty regional take is very myopic. :\

1 - Go play tournaments. They are fun and you will learn about a different side of your game

2 - Almost everyone at tournies is great to play a round with...almost

3 - Basing real life decisions on opinions posted on this site is a poor way to go through life.

So me and my 2 brothers were playing in a tournament once, and on my little brothers card (he was 10 at the time), there was another kid who thought he was hot stuff, like he said he wins trophies EVERY DAY (is that even possible??), but truly did suck. My little brother had been playing for like 8 months and this kid has been playing since he was 5. Long story short, my little bro was thrashing this kid, up by like 8 or 9 strokes, after the first round. At the beginning of the next round the kid told the guy at the top of the card (who happened to be our uncle) that it was ok that he was getting beat that bad, from now on he was gonna call a foot fault on every one of his putts, and beat him that way. So needless to say, that didn't fly, at all, and the kid ended up getting beat by double digits, and was crying at the little trophy thing. It was all a big mess.

PDGA General Rules 801.05 Order of Play states:

D. To facilitate flow of play, a player who is not the away player may throw if the away player consents.

So yeah, consent is needed, but it has evolved to implicit understanding of allowing gimmie clean ups unless someone objects.

There's no such thing as implicit consent. If you want to putt out of turn, ask the away player first.

Don't know where you get that from, Joe. Brad is right. You don't know what I'm thinking... "implicit consent" is an oxymoron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts