• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Sandals?

I just wonder where the heck people are playing that they can forgo the protection of a shoe. The brambles alone would shred you on an NC woods course.

Or maybe people here never miss the fairway? Seems unlikely. ;)

The bugs is what would get me, it is hard enough for me to wear low cut socks without bugs crawling on my shins.

I prefer a mid-height hiker for the ankle support. I feel like anything less will wind up with a sprain

It's probably all in my head though

I just wonder where the heck people are playing that they can forgo the protection of a shoe. The brambles alone would shred you on an NC woods course.

In St. Louis (where I'm at) many courses are in city parks. Dog poop is about the biggest hazard.

All depends where you're playing. Most of the courses in MI are similar to what you've experienced in NC... Moderate to dense woods, with nastiness off the fairway. I'd never play them in anything but a sturdy pair of hikers, or trail running shoes.

But for park style courses or some of the open, flat courses out west, I can see a pair of decent sandals working well, as long as they fit well and strap on securely.

Personally, I like the fit, feel and support of a solidly laced up pair of shoes. But hey, dif'rent strokes.

I could say the same of the Pear cactus in South Dakota or even some spots with the Russian Olive some big enough they have to take the drop 1 meter or more back for safety on the huge spikes those have, only reason the Russian Olive is not an issue where I live is due to how hard it is for them to spread in South Dakota. Same for North Dakota and Alberta too.

Not South Dakota, but if they are, then models with toe protection from things like native pear cactus, the sand burrs or the native barrel cactus.

All depends where you're playing. Most of the courses in MI are similar to what you've experienced in NC... Moderate to dense woods, with nastiness off the fairway. I'd never play them in anything but a sturdy pair of hikers, or trail running shoes.

But for park style courses or some of the open, flat courses out west, I can see a pair of decent sandals working well, as long as they fit well and strap on securely.

Personally, I like the fit, feel and support of a solidly laced up pair of shoes. But hey, dif'rent strokes.

Kyle Pinkman a former lower end pro with Dynamic Disc used to wear in summer the two strap Birkenstock style like shoes until some point in the 2000's he went to some cheep low cut hiking shoes sold at Running's Farm and Fleet and eventually the Moab fast hiker model that were like his standard Moab hiker.

Last edited:
So 2+ years later im back. I ended up buying Luna Sandals and loved them so much im 2 months into my second pair. Shockingly the only reason I had to buy a new pair is the tread on the bottom wore off after about 18 months (average probably 3, 18 hole rounds a week plus theyre my everyday wearers).

Theyre basically hiking boot bottoms with sandal tops. Highly recommend for the forehand player .

Latest posts