• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf vacation: Oh, WVa, Va, NC, SC, Ga, Fla

Not going near cincy, that'll have to wait for another trip. I'll be near port Charlotte march 10-12. I would like to be at worlds this year, so what's the top 3 courses being played for pro/am worlds? What does it take to play at the private courses mentioned in va and wv? Does anyone know if it would be worth it to make 1/2 day detour to play cliff Stephens in Clearwater? I hear good reviews but don't know if my time might be better spent elsewhere? Thanks for the tips.

info for the blockhouse disc golf complex is on their facebook page, to play hawk hollow contact me in advance. it will be closed for the vti 3/17-18.

ocala greenway is better than cliff stephens imo.

I just returned home to Virginia from a 9 day road trip to Florida. We played 15 different courses in 8 days. Don't waste your time going to Winthrop. None of the tees had signage and the baskets are numbered incorrectly. We wasted an hour there plus our drive time trying to figure the place out.
Do yourself a favor and check out Tom Triplett Park in Savannah. Gorgeous park and a big variety of challenges to be had on the course.
For some of the most picturesque scenery you'll ever see on a course in Florida you might want to play Tuscawilla in Daytona. Also, Turkey Lake in Orlando is 36 holes of awesomeness. Cliff Stevens in Clearwater is worth the trip as well but John Taylor Park in Largo might be the best course we played when you factor in the entire experience.
Tocobaga near St. Pete is one fun and beautiful course as well.
North Fort Myers Regional Park was a lot of fun to play but you need a spotter for nearly every drive or you WILL lose a disc... or two.
Enjoy the trip, I know I can't wait to do another disc road trip!

Ok so there has been a little change of plans. I will be staying in Atlanta for a day and want to know the best course in the atl. Also I want to know which would be a better visit Orlando or Tampa area for disc golf? Thanks for the info so far it has been helpful in planning one hell of a vacation.

...Don't waste your time going to Winthrop. None of the tees had signage and the baskets are numbered incorrectly. We wasted an hour there plus our drive time trying to figure the place out.

I could have told you that. The only time Winthrop is fun to play is during the 1st week of October: everyone knows that.:rolleyes:;)

Orlando and the Tampa area both have enough disc golf to keep you busy for a few days. I give the edge to Tampa though. How many times are you going to get to play Ken Climo's home course? Also the new course at Edward Medard Park kicks butt!

I could have told you that. The only time Winthrop is fun to play is during the 1st week of October: everyone knows that.:rolleyes:;)

You are incorrect sir. The best time to play Winthrop is end of April - mid May and end of August - September. That's when all the co-eds are scantily clad and laying out all around the lake. I'll take that view over a bunch of ropes any day. :thmbup:

If possible . . . Ocala Greenway in Ocala, FL and Magnolia DGC in Live Oak, Florida are both must plays in my opinion. You could also stop in Newberry, SC and stop by Stoney hill (contact David Sauls on DGCR).

Ok so there has been a little change of plans. I will be staying in Atlanta for a day and want to know the best course in the atl. Also I want to know which would be a better visit Orlando or Tampa area for disc golf? Thanks for the info so far it has been helpful in planning one hell of a vacation.

I played Rosewood-Dekalb at Redan Park and JP Moseley in Atlanta (south side of town) and thoroughly enjoyed them both

You are incorrect sir. The best time to play Winthrop is end of April - mid May and end of August - September. That's when all the co-eds are scantily clad and laying out all around the lake. I'll take that view over a bunch of ropes any day. :thmbup:

Ah yes... I've seen those young ladies.;)

If possible . . . Ocala Greenway in Ocala, FL and Magnolia DGC in Live Oak, Florida are both must plays in my opinion. You could also stop in Newberry, SC and stop by Stoney hill (contact David Sauls on DGCR).

Ocala G-way is a very enjoyable course for sure. Harr0140 is spot on with this suggestion.

golden hills in blacksburg, va is also pretty good. it's short but very technical.

Seconded. It really doesn't take a long time to play. It is a good 45 minutes off of 77, but a stop for lunch in Blacksburg might be worth it for you.

Latest posts