• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

Seems like the money putter for throw-ins is the Pure but man the blow-by results can be brutal. Do any of the really good players use something else?

No

Literally every single top player uses either the Accurate/Extra Glide Pure or the Accurate/Sticky Pure

You have to have confidence that you'll make the 65-foot comebackers. Once you have that, you'll run everything and your scores will improve dramatically

EDIT: Obviously you miss them once in a while, but layups are for basketball, amirite?

Last edited:
I'm not very good, but it's fun. Trying to learn some of the good lines.

No

Literally every single top player uses either the Accurate/Extra Glide Pure or the Accurate/Sticky Pure

You have to have confidence that you'll make the 65-foot comebackers. Once you have that, you'll run everything and your scores will improve dramatically

EDIT: Obviously you miss them once in a while, but layups are for basketball, amirite?

I use the extra glide/sticky Dagger. Should I swap to the extra glide/accurate Pure I have? I wish there was some way to "trade up" discs, since I've gotten most of them and have a few exact dupes. We should post what we bag, as that could help some of us I think. I really wish we could bag 8 or 9 discs, would really help to have a sticky putter and US FW/Mid.

I bag:
Extra Glide/Sticky Dagger
Extra Fade Anchor
Accurate Fuse
Extra Fade Explorer
Extra Glide/Accurate Explorer
Light Musket

Do you ever switch to the putting mode?

My scores got a lot better when I started using putting mode for basically everything under 60 ft. The key is to use the Pure after 30–35 ft. I'm way better at putting from 50 ft. than throwing from that distance. The accurate/extra glide Pure is $$$.

My DGV bag:
Extra glide/sticky Dagger
Accurate/extra glide Pure
Accurate Fuse
River
Big skip Pioneer
Wind break/accurate Musket

I use the extra glide/sticky Dagger. Should I swap to the extra glide/accurate Pure I have? I wish there was some way to "trade up" discs, since I've gotten most of them and have a few exact dupes. We should post what we bag, as that could help some of us I think. I really wish we could bag 8 or 9 discs, would really help to have a sticky putter and US FW/Mid.

I bag:
Extra Glide/Sticky Dagger
Extra Fade Anchor
Accurate Fuse
Extra Fade Explorer
Extra Glide/Accurate Explorer
Light Musket

There's currently a glitch that allows more than six discs (supposedly to be fixed very soon), but you can play every hole with the six I'll list here. You want these six for the rounds (multiplayer and pro tour) when you don't know which holes are coming. If you're playing the Open (where you can repeat the round with the same holes and wind), you can switch out to a specialty disc when needed

Accurate/Glide or Accurate/Sticky Pure - all top players have one or the other (probably 2/3 prefer the glide)
Accurate/Wind Break Fuse - see below
Accurate/Wind Break Explorer - that particular Fuse and Explorer are both in every top player's bag
Accurate/Extra Glide or Accurate/Wind Break Musket
The last two that are in every top player's bag you have to play for a while to get (playing multiplayer is the fastest way to level up):
Light/Big Skip Ballista and Light/Extra Glide Ballista - these two make almost all of the Par fours reachable with the right wind

I play the 'advanced tournaments' to level up faster. You have to play 12 holes instead of the 9 in multiplayer, but you're guaranteed xp. As opposed to playing 6 multiplayer games and only scoring out on two of them because people will start and not finish. For the longest time at least this meant that my score (and rating) would just disappear after about 24 hours.

My biggest complaint though, besides the obvious spitouts and stupid ground physics that plague us all, is that I'm still listed as a 0 rated rec player even though I've played tons of rated rounds and the last three open tournaments. I saw on Reddit that this is happening to other people too.

My biggest complaint though, besides the obvious spitouts and stupid ground physics that plague us all, is that I'm still listed as a 0 rated rec player even though I've played tons of rated rounds and the last three open tournaments. I saw on Reddit that this is happening to other people too.

I found this problem as well. I'm rated 516 but have only 2 rounds below it (297 [I was trying to learn a hole for the fun of it] and 509), with multiple 900+ rounds.

On another note, just got my 2nd ace earlier today.

Yes, it's affiliated in some way with Lat64. I suppose that's what keeps it free/ad-free (other than the product placement).

And it's working. I'm going to try out a couple of Explorers now. I'm such a mark lol.

My biggest complaint so far is that sometimes you'll throw a very soft layup that skips 50-100 feet past for no reason at all.

For the longest time at least this meant that my score (and rating) would just disappear after about 24 hours.

Your issues with the Rec players notwithstanding, you still get the ratings for the rounds that you don't get XP for. In your case, that will be once they fix the Rec ratings issue with (hopefully) the update this weekend. For me, on the rounds that don't finish, those rounds still count towards my rating (I have a spreadsheet where I keep up-to-the-second updates of my ratings to double-check against the "official" ratings)

Ha I wondered if we would start getting DGV ITBs.

There's currently a glitch that allows more than six discs (supposedly to be fixed very soon), but you can play every hole with the six I'll list here. You want these six for the rounds (multiplayer and pro tour) when you don't know which holes are coming. If you're playing the Open (where you can repeat the round with the same holes and wind), you can switch out to a specialty disc when needed

Accurate/Glide or Accurate/Sticky Pure - all top players have one or the other (probably 2/3 prefer the glide)
Accurate/Wind Break Fuse - see below
Accurate/Wind Break Explorer - that particular Fuse and Explorer are both in every top player's bag
Accurate/Extra Glide or Accurate/Wind Break Musket
The last two that are in every top player's bag you have to play for a while to get (playing multiplayer is the fastest way to level up):
Light/Big Skip Ballista and Light/Extra Glide Ballista - these two make almost all of the Par fours reachable with the right wind

That is interesting. I'll try all of these eventually though I still have not been offered a Ballista (I'm Level 15 - will they eventually be offered on Multiplayer or do I have to do something else?). Been using the first Compass, Explorer and Musket I was offered as well as the Recoil, Pioneer, and Accurate/Glide Pure (though I still constantly 3 putt or slide into trouble when I try to throw them in).

Calculating your rating (a brief primer)

Under your "Player Profile" you'll see a tab for your previous rounds. Those 25 rounds (and those 25 only) are used to calculate your rating. Recent glitches notwithstanding, if you play at least one Pro Tour round (regardless of division), your rating will update at the close of that tour (every five days).

If all of your last 25 rounds are from multiplayer - your rating is a raw average of those rounds.
For each Pro Tour round in your last 25 - those rounds are counted twice. So if you've played 2 tour rounds in the last 25, the total will be divided by 27 instead of 25 (the pro tour rounds are entered into the total twice)

How do you factor in the wind?
I find myself pretty much ignoring it but Simon and you have made references to the 'right wind'. Part of my problem is the wind usually seems very low <5mph which is insignificant IRL but is it a factor in DGV?

You start having Ballistas as an option for leveling up beginning at level 20

I'm level 24 and have a couple of (so far useless) Recoils, but mostly just get offered more mids and putters. Still holding out for that Recoil or Ballista that will actually outdrive my extra glide Musket!

I find myself pretty much ignoring it but Simon and you have made references to the 'right wind'. Part of my problem is the wind usually seems very low <5mph which is insignificant IRL but is it a factor in DGV?

Think of the wind as a scale 1-5 instead of in mph where a 1 does basically nothing to the disc and a 5 has a high impact.

Don't think of the wind in terms of MPH

5 is max and will really mess with anything longer than 20 feet - so will 4 for that matter

1 is barely negligible

Obviously 2 and 3 are somewhere in between