• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

Been a while since this thread was updated...

For anybody curious - lots of changes to the game in recent months.

User Interface overhaul in the menus, lots of menu updates. I would say 90% of the game has been updated to have a more intuitive interface.

Two new courses were added - Ikigai Springs and Northern Lights. Honestly like Northern Lights a lot more than Ikigai Springs, but they both have some really cool new holes.

Also updates to 8 courses in the last update:
https://www.globaldiscgolf.club/menu/meet-the-courses/hole-changes

Overall the new updates appear to be a push to make the game a bit easier. It looks like maybe they got some feedback that maybe players were being turned off by the more difficult holes? Unsure. But the new Northern Lights course is definitely plenty difficult - so there's plenty of challenge still in the game.

Been a while since this thread was updated...

For anybody curious - lots of changes to the game in recent months.

User Interface overhaul in the menus, lots of menu updates. I would say 90% of the game has been updated to have a more intuitive interface.

Two new courses were added - Ikigai Springs and Northern Lights. Honestly like Northern Lights a lot more than Ikigai Springs, but they both have some really cool new holes.

Also updates to 8 courses in the last update:
https://www.globaldiscgolf.club/menu/meet-the-courses/hole-changes

Overall the new updates appear to be a push to make the game a bit easier. It looks like maybe they got some feedback that maybe players were being turned off by the more difficult holes? Unsure. But the new Northern Lights course is definitely plenty difficult - so there's plenty of challenge still in the game.

Is it me, or are there a couple holes on the new course that have, for lack of a better term, really heavy gravity? Particularly the par 5 that crosses the creek? Distances just seem much lower on that hole, even on up shots to the basket.

And hole 3 seems to have anti-gravity. I launched a River and it went 800 feet...I get that its downhill and all, but still...

Is it me, or are there a couple holes on the new course that have, for lack of a better term, really heavy gravity? Particularly the par 5 that crosses the creek? Distances just seem much lower on that hole, even on up shots to the basket.

And hole 3 seems to have anti-gravity. I launched a River and it went 800 feet...I get that its downhill and all, but still...
I will agree that on the approach on that par 5 the discs seem to die earlier than I expect, especially compared to hole 3. I think maybe its a consequence of the hole moving back uphill once it reaches its nadir, whereas 3 keeps going downward? In the past they've been pretty forthright about physics changes so for now I'm assuming there's been no change regarding that.

Maybe someone else has seen differently, though. I haven't been on the Facebook or Reddit pages in moooonths.

I noticed this too on both holes. Is it just that I am misjudging elevation changes in game, just like I do on real courses? Probably lol. But I am struggling on those two.

Personally I love both new courses, and I agree the recent changes made the game a little easier overall IMO. Although the new drop zones on a couple of old holes make those holes a little harder. For example if my second throw skips off the basket island on Lakeside 9 I have to try to throw it in from like 80m now (idk why, I never switched it to feet lol) instead of 20 or 25.

I noticed this too on both holes. Is it just that I am misjudging elevation changes in game, just like I do on real courses? Probably lol. But I am struggling on those two.

Personally I love both new courses, and I agree the recent changes made the game a little easier overall IMO. Although the new drop zones on a couple of old holes make those holes a little harder. For example if my second throw skips off the basket island on Lakeside 9 I have to try to throw it in from like 80m now (idk why, I never switched it to feet lol) instead of 20 or 25.

I think all 3 of us who have commented on this issue have played the game enough to have it down pretty well, and can judge ups and downs pretty well so I would propose the heaviness is a real thing at least on that hole.

I do notice some 'mist' or something in the water on those holes, wonder if that is a thing. I will try to play with going around where those visible airwaves are and see if something changes. I wonder if they are air vents to a secret lost disc paradise or something. :) Will try landing in those as well...

I think all 3 of us who have commented on this issue have played the game enough to have it down pretty well, and can judge ups and downs pretty well so I would propose the heaviness is a real thing at least on that hole.

I do notice some 'mist' or something in the water on those holes, wonder if that is a thing. I will try to play with going around where those visible airwaves are and see if something changes. I wonder if they are air vents to a secret lost disc paradise or something. :) Will try landing in those as well...

Interesting idea! It could be. I don't know how that would account for the reverse effect on hole 3, but I'm definitely going to play around with it more too. I play the game a lot but I'd never claim to actually be any good.

I thought so too, especially the "high gravity" part on the drive on Northern lights 1, the upshot on NL 4 and 7 and also the third shot on Ikigai Springs 7.

But i think it is the uphill that is messing with us. Compare for example Blueberry thicket hole 8, it says 68 meters but you need a full speed driver to get up to the basket.

As for northern lights 3, the "anti gravity" is mainly from the second flip that the disc gets when accelerating while fading out for the first time. It's been observed on many maximum distance drive attempts from high elevations (and i think even in real life when Simon Lizotte threw down a mountain.)

So all in all i think the physics are preserved for the two new courses.

Having messed around with this a little more, I think the elevation may be the thing, and it just does not appear to be as steep as it is.

I determined this by playing a couple holes backwards--getting close to basket then throwing back toward the tee. If there was any sucking or lifting action, I would have noticed that same effect going backwards, but in fact what I saw was the exact opposite, which indicates (to me anyway) it is just steep elevation.

I think the streams have pretty steep banks which we don't appreciate right away.

Also, on 7, if you land pretty far right, where you are going up that slope, the basket is closer to being at the same elevation, and discs seem to do much more what we think they will.

Has anyone else noticed that straddling an OB line is no longer called Out of Bounds?
Maybe they were able to hear me cussing up a storm whenever this would happen?

Has anyone else noticed that straddling an OB line is no longer called Out of Bounds?
Hadn't noticed, will watch out for it though. Cool if that is so. Maybe you could start a storm about not showing elevation gain/lost to the pin. :)

That is one feature I would love to see. I mean it gives the distance, and all scopes include elevation gain so its not info we wouldn't have IRL.

It did not work out that way for me during the Hops And Hyzer event last night. I definitely had a hole where I landed straddling the line, one edge of my disc still on the in bounds side of the line and center of disc slightly over halfway toward the OB, and it called me out of bounds.

As far as I can tell it is the same as it has been in the past. Of course it was on a traditional hole - I do not know about the new courses, if you encountered it there?

It did not work out that way for me during the Hops And Hyzer event last night. I definitely had a hole where I landed straddling the line, one edge of my disc still on the in bounds side of the line and center of disc slightly over halfway toward the OB, and it called me out of bounds.

As far as I can tell it is the same as it has been in the past. Of course it was on a traditional hole - I do not know about the new courses, if you encountered it there?

I don't recall exactly which course I was on when it happened. I want to say I was on ECC.

SOOO frustrating to have a disc get called OB when it clearly is not. And there's nothing you can do about it. Can't call your cardmates over & have a consensus of being in bounds. Take your meter in.

I feel your pain.

Last edited:
While I await present openings...Probably the most aggravating thing about this game is the skipping. Is it just me or does it seem like you're playing on polished granite? The other thing that I find rather bewildering is how easy it is to blast through the foliage. Sometimes just so long as the disc doesn't hit a significantly sized branch or trunk it'll just fly like normal so I think leaves and small branches should have more random impact on flight like it does in the real world. Still though, this is a well developed game. There are quirks to it I'd like to see changed but its fun.

I'll bet this has been covered in this thread already...I'm just too lazy to look through 30+ pages to find out haha.

Re: Skipping and hitting trees/foliage:

One of the things you learn from spending hours playing this game is which trees/bushes etc. have bigger "hit boxes" (basically, which ones you need to adjust power/aim for and which ones you don't), where some of the "dead" spots are on the fairways (places where the discs tend to not skip as much), how to have them land at certain angles so they are more likely to react a certain way when they hit, etc.

There is a seeming randomness to it. But, the same trees react (more or less) the same way each time (if that makes sense), you need to learn which are which. It is actually less complicated than I just made it sound

The darker green foliage many times does NOT affect flight at all. This is true around greens mostly. Start paying attention to which trees seem to really affect you the most.

Skipping--definitely every hole seems to play like a golf course after a hard freeze. But...once you learn to use skip, it certainly is a very handy thing.

Now, IIRC, discs with the 'roll' attribute skip a lot less, which is useful when you need to stick a landing, as even regular discs skip some.

As far as how you play--there are 2 main tracks I see:
1) Being good every hole, to where you can finish in top 10 of pro tours each week--this is trying to park most holes except the shorter ones.
2) Trying to finish at the top of the daily challenges--this requires acing at least one, sometimes 3 holes per round, and being perfect on all the other holes--eagles on every par 4, etc.

I find the first to be more enjoyable, because ace running as its own prize gets boring for me. But if you prefer the second, spend lots of time trying to not just birdie holes, but to ace them, even the par 4's, many of which ARE ace-able. Heck even the par 5 on lakeside is ace-able, though I've never done it. Need just the right skip off the hill.

Anyone here aced a par 5 yet? Anything extra cool happen?

Good luck!

Latest posts