• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf vs Ball Golf

Time

One major difference between the two sports (excuse me if this was already discussed, I didn't scour the entire thread) is the amount of time to play around of 18. I don't play much golf but I think that 18 holes takes 3-4 hours. If I'm in a hurry I can play 18 holes of disc golf in one hour, I don't have to schedule a tee time and I rarely have to play through any groups because I usually have the course to myself. I have a job, wife, children, lots of church responsibilities. I couldn't be into ball golf even if I wanted to. But a couple times a week I am able to sneak away long enough to disc golf. Or I'll just bring a couple of my kids with me in the jogging stroller.

I wrote a couple posts about disc golf vs. ball golf on my blog here:
discdreams.blogspot.com

The hardest thing in ball golf is hitting an approach iron shot from ANYWHERE, much less on a nice fluffy fairway lie, to within 2 putt distance ON a green. The easiest thing on most disc golf holes is approaching close enough to putting distance for par. Our disc golf holes are a lot shorter relative to ball golf holes. We really don't have many par 4s. I play a lot of par 3 ball golf courses and still struggle to hit the greens even off a tee!!! Ball golf is much, much harder.

Oh. Sorry. You're probably a pro then. I wasn't that good; I never got my handicap any lower than 3. I guess if I was good like you I could have just done a chili dip. Silly me, I had to open my stance and clubface, and strike the ball quite a bit differently than a typical iron.

"Competing against yourself" is symantically null. What you want your "self" to do, is beat other people. I never saw a kid think it was hard to grab a stick and hit some gravel around; until I came and hit some gravel farther.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
TTTTHHHHIIIISSSS
:clap::clap::clap:
:thmbup::thmbup:

DG: BH, FH, TP, Thumber, Scooby, the interior turbo ...
All of these must be practiced at every release angle, and every height for every release angle. And what about adding OAT in the 3 angle feldy talks about?

I'd say simply taking 1 grip/style and perfecting every permutation of that one style would have about as many variations as all golf shots. I'd say OAT is synonymous with playing a draw/fade, hooded/(something?), front/back spin.

I would also say that you can be very successful in ball golf even if you can only hit a fade, as long as you can hit a consistent fade. I would not say the same thing about a hyzer

hmmmm ... I thought this post made sense at one point ... now I feel that it needs an introduction ...

I so greatly appreciate my entire pov being landfilled.

Your original post is still in this thread. You're welcome to discuss the points actually relevant to the thread. I moved the silly argument about chili dips to the landfill because it added nothing to the discussion here.

DG: BH, FH, TP, Thumber, Scooby, the interior turbo ...
All of these must be practiced at every release angle, and every height for every release angle. And what about adding OAT in the 3 angle feldy talks about?

I'd say simply taking 1 grip/style and perfecting every permutation of that one style would have about as many variations as all golf shots. I'd say OAT is synonymous with playing a draw/fade, hooded/(something?), front/back spin.

I would also say that you can be very successful in ball golf even if you can only hit a fade, as long as you can hit a consistent fade. I would not say the same thing about a hyzer

hmmmm ... I thought this post made sense at one point ... now I feel that it needs an introduction ...

People really practice everythrow at every release angle? to me, that is ridiculous. Your brain understand the discs you use, and you get a feeling of how much angle you need to put on a throw, it happens pretty much automatically.

You are right, you can be successful in golf by only hitting fade. Problem is, about 0,05 % of golfer can hit the same shot over and over again... i wish people would just stop saying disc golf is as complexe as ball golf, that is ridiculous.

To follow up a bit on my own thread. I think both disc and ball golf are complicated.

Disc golf requires you to master several styles of throws (BH, FH, Toma, etc). This also includes S-curving overstable discs through a tree line or something. I would like to iterate that as one of the most enduring qualities of DG. You can't have a golf ball swerve through trees in that short of a distance. You can slice/fade, whatever, but there are a lot more shot options in disc golf, end of story.

That's what I like about disc golf.

But before you ball-hoppers get your knickers in a twist, I know ball golf is a bit more difficult to master. There is much, MUCH more room for error in ball golf. And unlike disc golf, most ball golfers will never stand a chance to play with a top pro, because you can't get into the tour, etc.

I just like disc golf for it's accessibility, low learning curve, and how much more relaxed I am when I play. The group of professional disc golfer's may not be as elite as top pros in ball golf like Bubba Watson and Tiger Woods, but DG is no "walk in the park" (ha), either. But in disc golf, you have a chance to play next to Dave Feldberg, or Nikko Locastro, if you simply get on the lead card at a local tournament.

If you want to master either sport, it's going to take a lot of scenario work and a lot of dedication either way.

If nothing else, the sheer number of ball golfers trying to get to pro would make it more difficult than trying to go pro at disc golf. There's just a ton more of them out there. Not even looking at the difficulty involved in either, the numbers of potential pros is going to make ball golf much more difficult.

I love Disc Golf more, but anyone who thinks the 2 are anywhere close to each other is terms of the time it takes to get good and difficulty to master is either crazy or just doesn't know about about the 2 sports. Ball Golf is waaaaay harder. Mastering the nuances of both sports takes some time, but Ball Golf is much more tricky. Not to mention the difference in amount of money you gotta drop for equipment and to develop you skills

That being said Ball Golfer will never know the joy of shaping a perfect shot through the woods. Disc Golf is much better and not near as frustrating

Ball golf = highly technical, very difficult, sometimes fun, expensive
Disc golf = very dynamic, somewhat challenging, usually fun, cheap

there is a increased difficulty b/c of the club in ball golf. Longer lever means more force but also much easier to get off axis with and a smaller area to concentrate the force not to mention hole out.

It is a lot easier to throw a golf ball accurately than it is to hit one as would it be to roll a ball on the green vs using a putter. The rules are similar in style and techniques correlate but the difficulty is exponentially increased with the additional leverage of a golf club. Slight movements in the body/wrist etc are exaggerated a lot more.

Its like comparing cross-country skiing to downhill as if they are the same sports b/c they both use skis. Anyone can cross country ski but you need some basic knowledge to downhill. The difficulty factors just don't make the two comparable.

Id really be curious the ratio of ball size to the golf hole compared to disc size to the basket.

For me the price tag is everything. Ball golf is essentially out of reach for me considering the expense. There is no way I could afford to play ball golf the way I play disc golf.

I like them equally. Disc golf is more casual and beginner friendly, where ball golf is more demanding and challenging (recreationally)

I like ball golf, but.....You pay 60 buck to play in someones park, then they send grandpa out in a golf cart to harass you to hurry up. I am not a slow player, not very good, but not slow. So, I get irritated that after ponying up that much cash for a couple hours of outdoor time, grandpa is giving me grief.

I would need non-stop boobies in my face to justify the cost of playing ball golf. It's just not that much fun, honestly.