• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf vs Ball Golf

One thing that's skewing this a bit is that disc golf course design is still evolving. Ball golf has had almost 400 years to work on that. Disc golf courses are still, for the most part, all par 3. Once we get to a point where there are more par 4s and 5s out there, the complexity of the game will really take off. As of now, virtually every hole is drive and run at the birdie, whereas in ball golf, most courses have the large percentage of holes where an approach shot or two is necessary.
This guy gets it.

I'd really be curious the ratio of ball size to the golf hole compared to disc size to the basket.

They're pretty close, actually. According to Innova's website, the yellow band on a Discatcher Pro has a 22" diameter, and an Aviar putter is 21.2cm (8.35") wide. A golf ball is 1.68" wide, and the hole is 4.25" wide. By those numbers, both ratios are around 2.5:1. On the other hand, a basketball hoop is only 18" wide, compared to the 9.5" diameter of the ball; that's less than 2:1.

That ratio is only relevant if we used a basket without chains. Our vertical dimension of the chains makes DG putting even easier than whatever the left-right ratio may be.

untrue

Ball golf is much harder than disc golf. The practice time it takes to shoot par regulary at ball golf vs disc golf is not even close. I really don't think they can be compared. It takes people years to shoot in the 10-15 over range in ball golf. You can do that in 3 weeks in disc golf.

I disagree entirely! I aced a par 3 in "ball" golf after only playing 15-20 times in the course of a year. However; I didn't ace a disc golf shot until last summer, after 20 yrs of playing.
Also, "ball" golfers are more stuck on themselves and their sport, and are kind of uptight individuals, whereas disc golfers are usually quite friendly, helpful, and fun to be around

I disagree entirely! I aced a par 3 in "ball" golf after only playing 15-20 times in the course of a year. However; I didn't ace a disc golf shot until last summer, after 20 yrs of playing.
Also, "ball" golfers are more stuck on themselves and their sport, and are kind of uptight individuals, whereas disc golfers are usually quite friendly, helpful, and fun to be around

Well if JohnMFretz aced in ball golf and not disc golf that settles it: disc golf is DEFINITELY tougher! Here's my bit of anecdotal evidence that doesn't mean anything: I got my handicap down to around 4 after playing ball golf for 10 years and I've never had a single hole-in-one. I'm a 910 rated disc golfer who can't throw past 300' and I've had 4 aces in disc golf.
That's quite a bit of generalizing in that last paragraph. I found that unless I was golfing at a super-fancy country club (didn't happen very often) everyone was just like me: average Joe just doing something they enjoy.

Professionalism in golf > professionalism in disc golf

Can't even get into the "extra curricular" debate

Club houses, restaurants, private courses, scenic views. It's not even close on the scale.

That ratio is only relevant if we used a basket without chains. Our vertical dimension of the chains makes DG putting even easier than whatever the left-right ratio may be.

That's a good point: ball golf becomes two-dimensional on the green. I guess it's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Info about me: I've been playing ball golf for 15+ years, disc golf for about 3. I'm a 12 handicap ball golfer and 926 rated disc golfer.

Equipment wise it's totally ****ing different. Ball golf it's 100% skill to shape a shot. Club choice gets you part of your distance potential and shot height. Lateral movement, distance, and height are down to skill of the player. Disc golf is cool in that you have a lot of control simply through disc choice. One throwing motion (flat) can get you a ton of shot shapes. In ball golf, if you only ever swing the equivalent of a flat throw, you only get straight shots.

Skill wise, if you are a good ball golfer and you are taught to disc golf by someone who knows both games, you'll do well. The weight transfer, balance, and timing are good base skills.

Putting in ball golf is completely unique to the two games. Chipping/pitching in ball golf is similar to putting in disc golf.

Course wise: the easiest disc golf courses are easier than the easiest ball golf courses, simply because the skill floor of ball golf is higher. I think the hardest courses for both sports are equally as challenging to the best players.

Ok this isn't really a fair statement. I know plenty of nice people that play both sports and some *******s that play both sports.

Aces have nothing to do with skill. What's your rating in DG after 20yrs? What's your ball golf handicap?

Also, the expense argument is unfair. A full set of decent, used equipment will run maybe $400. $150 for clubs, $100 for a driver, $50 for a putter, $100 for a bag, glove. $50 for balls. You could get everything for cheaper if you wanted. You could also spend $2000 on equipment, it's all up to you.

Disc golf wise...used bag $50, 10x base plastic discs $80, 10x premium discs $120. That's $250 for a full setup. I've bought ball golf equipment 3 times in the past 10 years. Irons 10 years ago, a new putter 5 years ago, a driver and sand wedge 2 years ago. I find enough balls and tees that I never have to buy them. I buy a new glove once every season, $15. How often do you buy discs?

I see people saying $60 a round for ball golf. Yeah, if you go play somewhere that costs that much. I play twilight rounds at a local country club for $8. Nice course, 18 with a cart on the weekend, $30. Season pass for $450 to my 3 county courses. If you play 3x a week for 6 months, that's $6.25 a round. It's not unaffordable if you do some research.

Disc golf is cheaper, yes. Ball golf is not this monstrously expensive beast that everyone makes it out to be.

They're pretty close, actually. According to Innova's website, the yellow band on a Discatcher Pro has a 22" diameter, and an Aviar putter is 21.2cm (8.35") wide. A golf ball is 1.68" wide, and the hole is 4.25" wide. By those numbers, both ratios are around 2.5:1. On the other hand, a basketball hoop is only 18" wide, compared to the 9.5" diameter of the ball; that's less than 2:1.

Good points but a little flawed IMO-- like chuck said. You need to measure the "volume" essentially of the entire space which you can hole out.

Basketball backboard makes an exponential difference in how much easier it is to make a shot a given distances and angles where golf style hole outs do not have this benefit. IMO basketball vs DG is a more accurate representation of how shots are made but the area which the ball fits is much smaller. The hoop would need to be double its current size i would think or the ball being a 28.x CM (youth)

Comparing the profile of the disc to the actual area which it can enter the basket and I imagine the ratio difference is much greater. The ball hardly fits in the hole by your comparison as it is a round object and it is traveling over a surface which allows for much less degree of error and i don't even know how to begin to figure that in.

Conclusion: its a hell of a lot easier to make disc golf putts. :D

I'm sure ball golf is great and all. I just love disc golf. At one point I played Nerf basketball before I stepped up to real basketball.

In ball golf, if you only ever swing the equivalent of a flat throw, you only get straight shots.

If only it were that easy to hit a golf ball straight! Most amateur golfers spend their whole lives in pursuit of a repeatable straight shot. ;)

everyone spends their disc golf lives trying to find that perfect disc for a repeatable straight shot ;)

Ball golf is much harder than disc golf. The practice time it takes to shoot par regulary at ball golf vs disc golf is not even close. I really don't think they can be compared. It takes people years to shoot in the 10-15 over range in ball golf. You can do that in 3 weeks in disc golf.

100% true. Ive played ball golf for about 8 or 9 years now and disc golf about 4 months. The easy par 67 course I play in ball golf here in Orlando I have never shot better than a +11 round. The 3 or 4 disc golf courses that I would consider mildy difficult I have consistently shot even par with a personal best of -4 at Debary. I love disc golf. I play every weekend. But there just is no debate as to which is a harder sport. Skillwise, I am closer to Paul McBeth than I am to Tiger Woods.

Cost and time. I've got a wife, two kids, and a dog. It would take me 10 years, and mucho dinero, to get good at ball golf. In the time it takes to knock out one 18 (4 hours or so), I played 2 new 9's and an 18 yesterday, in the winter. Much more appealing to an average dude like me than shelling out 3x as much cash just to play a course as I spent on gas yesterday.

ball golf is more expensive for sure. how ever, the mindset is very similar between the two sports. turn overs , fade, slice, wank, rip, bomb all terms that can apply to both. drive for show put for $$........ I spent over 2k on ball golf the year before and had all the equiptment. I apent about 600 on dg and had to buy equip for family of 4. I also went way overboard experimenting with different disc. You are not going to try/buy 20 different ball golf drivers in a life time , let alone a year..........no tee times, no overpriced beer, can use any open space as a driving range. dg is better. pure enjoyment and challenge , i find them =. I knocking on the door of consistant par dg in one season, never broke 80 in ball golf. i have seen an eagle in ball golf, not yet in dg.

I've been golfing since '86 or so (though I haven't played a round in at least 5 years). I've never been anything more than an average hack. However, once I started hitting "consistantly", errant shots would enrage me. It was not uncommon for me to leave a golf course in a far worse mood than when I arrived. I gave golf up when I finally realized I was paying money to throw temper tantrums.

Started DGing last year... Progression in skill level has grown exponentially faster for me in DG than in golf, but I'm still just an average hucker. I still throw the occasional errant shot... The difference is that I don't get upset in disc golf. Not sure if it's that I've settled down in my old age, or the atmosphere of DG is just that different that I don't feel the need for perfection, or if the fact that I'm not paying greens fees (all FTP DG courses locally, have never played a PTP DG course) are what keeps me so mellow. Probably a combination of all three factors (and more).

I doubt I'll ever pick up a golf club again, unless at a miniature course with the wife, or someone else pays for my day at the links.

As a Recreational Sport, Disc Golf is better. Competitive sport, Ball Golf may take it.

Personally, I think ball golf is a waste of space and more importantly water.