• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Vs. GOLF or Ball Golf

Do you call golf, Golf, or Ball Golf?

• Golf

Votes: 65 52.0%
  • Ball Golf

Votes: 60 48.0%

• Total voters
Oh and I would quit disc golf if it became frolf its hard enough to get some people to take disc golf serious. Plus I use discs, not frisbees :D[/QUOTE]

excellent point. I used to think people were anal abt the whole "frolf" thing and also abt calling frisebees "disc". however, now I cant use either term without feeling a little wierd

I can't stand the term frolf.. it just sounds goofy. Disc golf all the way. As for the golf/ball golf thing, I tend to switch between the two depending on who I'm talking to or if I need to make a distinction for whatever reason.

It's kind of like hockey vs. street hockey. Sure, you could say "Ice Hockey" but the ice is normally assumed. I think DG/BG is the same way.

Nail on the head here. I picked ball golf for the poll just because I think it's fun to refer to it that way. And as others have said, it gets you funny looks. Good Disc Golf conversation starter you see? Spread the word!

When I hear the word Frolf, I think of "Frolick"

I don't care what you call it. Disc golf kicks ball golf's rear.

Golf will always be "Golf", the first time I heard of the term "ball Golf" was from a disc golf player. Just like someone mentioned about street hockey. Hockey=played on ice, Golf=played with balls. Street and Disc just let someone know the different type of that same style of sport that you are talking about.

I agree with the many others who think "frolf" sounds goofy. I think that fact could lend itself to not being taken seriously and looked at correspondingly. I am serious about disc golf, and love it very much, and use the term disc golf exclusively with non DGers, even when they have no idea what Im talking about until I have to give a long explanation, because it puts what I do in a better perspective. However, I still know many golfers (ball golfers) who laugh at me and think Im joking when I talk about my love for disc golf, because its something thats not seen to them as anything that could be taken seriously. Unfortunately a few of them I've taken out have done so bad the first time theyve played that they never were willing to give it a chance and still think that it's a ridiculous thing to do. We don't need to actively discredit ourselves.

Ever since I watched the episode of "The Office" when Andy talks about his love for "frolfing", I decided that was definitely not a good term to use for disc golf. It is definitely a derogatory term used by those on the outside looking in. We don't use "frisbees" anyway. We use "discs". They are definitely two different things. So calling it frisbee golf (frolf) for short just doesn't make since. If you are using an ultimate frisbee or some other kind of frisbee to play, then you are "frolfing". If you are using a disc, then it is disc golf. Period.
I have no problem with the term "golf" applying strictly to ball golf. I don't usually call up a buddy and ask them to "golf". I say do you want to play "disc golf" or "play some disc"...something like that.
To make the distinction when you are referring to both sports in the same conversation, golf is "ball golf" and disc golf is "disc golf". There isn't really an issue here. I bet that this is different from region to region though. There isn't anyone that I know around the DFW area (disc golfer or not) that calls the sport "frolf". That term just seems ridiculous to me.

I hadn't read all of the posts on this one and just went through the whole thing. I had thought of this myself and was going to metion it and found that a couple other people already did.

Regardless of how you think Frolf sounds, it is incorrect. We could just as easily call it INNOLF (Innova Golf), DOLF (Discraft Golf), MOLF (Millennium Golf), etc. just as soon as Frolf. Frisbee is a trademarked name and doesn't truly represent the game of DISC golf.

And... FROLF does just sound stupid anyway! :D

haha, i guess with all the hatred towards "frolf" because of the frisbees not being the correct name for the equiptment i'm going to start spreading DOLF :) haha sorry just had to throw another iron on the fire. keep on chuckin everyone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf

Check out the link on the origins of golf. I've often wondered why DG didn't develop its own unique sport name beyond copying the "golf" mindset (must have something to do with standardizing holes/baskets - distance - driving - putting - PAR :) ) Sorry - couldn't refuse. Golf is "GOLF" because of the very origin of the term. We don't use a freakin' stick to hit an object toward a hole.

Why couldn't the origins of Disc Golf have come up with a name for the game like "Wing-it , Flick, Spinner, Chuck-it, Glide..... you name it! We've certainly come up with many unique terms not used in golf to describe our throws.... why didn't we just call a Hyzer a slice?

"Frolf" & I won't let anyone know where I'm going or what I'm doing - just sounds goofy to me. I couldn't quit like some of the posts here, but I would probably go under the radar....

Both are great sports
Gone Golfing................................ Ball Golf
Gone Discin'................................. Disc Golf :D:D:D

I only use the the "ball golf" term around those disc golfers that seem to have an inferiority complex about golf. I play both games and enjoy both. Each has it's advantages. A bad day playing golf beats a good day working regardless of whether I am hitting a small whie ball or throwing a disc.

To be honest...I actually have more respect for the game of "golf" after I started playing "disc golf". In both sports, you are really just trying to not beat yourself. The way those pros come through in the clutch is amazing.

I beat myself all too often. Especially after that double bogey on the shortest hole of the course gets in my head. :(

Ummmmmm, wait a minute. That just doesn't sound right. Howz 'bout, "I defeat myself..."

when I'm talking to my friends who are too into ball golf, I call it girly man golf.... :)