• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

DGWT is just killing it with marketing this thing. Awesome info, pics of the course, TeeSigns posted. Jussi's background is being put to good use. Can't wait to watch La Mirada, hoping we can hit 10,000 viewers by the end of the year, that would be awesome.

La_Mirada_Open_course_hole14_tee_2400_144-50.jpg

No toilets on the 'Dunipace' back 9.

Will World Champion Paul McPants find himself embroiled in another BathroomGate a' la The Memorial???

Tune in to see!!!

Minor quibble with the maps in the Caddy Book: On holes 13 and 17 they use "preceding" and "proceeding" when they should really use "subsequent."
13: "OB on the right side, OB surrounding basket, if you don't touch inbounds off the tee proceed to drop zone with penalty. If you land OB on any preceding shots, apply normal OB rules"
17: "Island hole. OB around the fairway. OB around the in-bounds island green. If OB on your drive and haven't reached green normal OB rules apply. If you cross the green on your drive but land OB proceed to drop zone. If OB on proceeding shots form [sic] the fairway proceed to drop zone. Normal OB rules apply from drop zone."

A little late for internet nitpicking if my goal is to actually get them to change their info, but that's how I roll.

Minor quibble with the maps in the Caddy Book: On holes 13 and 17 they use "preceding" and "proceeding" when they should really use "subsequent."
13: "OB on the right side, OB surrounding basket, if you don't touch inbounds off the tee proceed to drop zone with penalty. If you land OB on any preceding shots, apply normal OB rules"
17: "Island hole. OB around the fairway. OB around the in-bounds island green. If OB on your drive and haven't reached green normal OB rules apply. If you cross the green on your drive but land OB proceed to drop zone. If OB on proceeding shots form [sic] the fairway proceed to drop zone. Normal OB rules apply from drop zone."

A little late for internet nitpicking if my goal is to actually get them to change their info, but that's how I roll.

Probably late for printed materials, but definitely not too late for TD to address so players know how it'll play. Important to know when you're planning your rounds

I sent a message to JTacoma. Maybe he'll be able to talk to the TD before the tournament starts. Otherwise all I can do is cry on the internet about it. (Unless I want to email the TD at his publicly provided email address...)

It sure seems like Jussi and Co are going really really big with this event. Its very cool to see someone with a vision really try and execute that vision at a higher level then what we are used to seeing in disc golf. I'm very excited to watch this event

I also got an email from LiveStream from Emerging Sports, with a link to Thursday's Coverage

Chris Beyer,
Emerging Sports TV has invited you to watch their next live event: Disc Golf World Tour01-LaMirada Open
Disc Golf World Tour01-LaMirada Open
Mar 10th
Disc Golf World Tour01-LaMirada Open
Thursday, March 10th, 2016 at 12:00 PM PST on EmergingSportsTV
http://livestream.com/accounts/457188/events/4944456

Warning: Hype/Promotional post incoming.

To stay up to date on things, here's a direct link to the event page:
La Mirada Open

I highly suggest y'all make an account, it's free, and only behind the login can you access the live scoring, the live metrix, and any bonus content or maybe even a surprise or two we throw your way throughout the week...oh also right now you can register to win a basket for free, so that's awesome.

Other sources to follow to stay in the know or to get a little bit of a behind the scenes perspective:
Instagram
@DiscGolfWorldTour
@AveryJenkins
@DiscmaniacJT
YouTube
TheSpinTVCom (the official account name of SpinTV)

Media Day was today - we've put out the sound bits from our Tour Ambassadors - with more to come.

On behalf of the whole media team, thank you to each and every one of you for the support you've shown throughout the process. The buzz around the course starting from Sunday has been palpable, and our goal is to create media that you'll be proud to show your non-disc golfing friends. As much as you can and are willing please view, like, and share the content - and tune in on Friday and Saturday!

Lastly, a huge congratulations to our friends at Smashboxx for the record viewership of their live broadcast of The Memorial. We hope that record stands...until Friday! :D

I'm genuinely a bit shocked here.

I love the vision and the idea of this tour, have done since it's inception. I understand why tying in the first event at La Mirada, second oldest course and all that, is a good idea. Join old with new blah di blah. I had never seen pictures or video of La Mirada up to now.

It all seems a great idea until you see the first picture of the course - http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/photo-gallery-la-mirada-gold-course-photos/

200' Noob hyzer to the middle of a playground? Can we call this hole Kiddy Killer?

And then we look through the rest and see one huge risk after another, playing alongside walking paths, holes alongside roads with mandos actually pushing players towards the roads, walking paths crossed at distance etc. etc. These aren't just one hole on the course, the safety risks are on almost every hole.

Of course this won't be a problem at the event (or at least I imagine/hope the park will be closed to public?) But I'm assuming those astro tees are permanent and given as a legacy of the tour, which again as an idea in principle is great. Is it a good idea to leave a legacy of just plain dangerous course design for the "pinnacle" tour though? Is this the sort of course Discgolfpark will be installing in the US?

I looked as many of us did at the pictures of the park where the lady sued for losing her eyesight. I was shocked that people had seen fit to install a course there - I put it down to people that didn't know what they were doing and not paying a "proper" designer to do it. And then this is the course for the for the first event of the World Tour.

Headline for the future, that'll get us the media exposure we're after...

"Child maimed by frisbee at course that hosted the Disc Golf World Tour"....

I'm sorry for the negativity, i've been a big fan of everything Jussi and the team have done in Europe and admired the way they dealt with a couple of contentious issues that arose over here that I was involved in. One of the first facets of their installations always seemed to be safety first though and so I was genuinely shocked to see these photos this morning as part of the publicity, obviously a bit late now, but. well. ah jees i don't know what I'm even trying to say now.

Good luck with the event which I'm certain will be fantastic, most of the promotion so far has certainly been top notch, just don't kill anyone out there....

I saw someone post this one Facebook - apparently you can bet on the DGWT through NordicBet. How long until someone bets the farm on a disc golf round?

It all seems a great idea until you see the first picture of the course - http://www.discgolfworldtour.com/photo-gallery-la-mirada-gold-course-photos/

200' Noob hyzer to the middle of a playground? Can we call this hole Kiddy Killer?

And then we look through the rest and see one huge risk after another, playing alongside walking paths, holes alongside roads with mandos actually pushing players towards the roads, walking paths crossed at distance etc. etc. These aren't just one hole on the course, the safety risks are on almost every hole.

Of course this won't be a problem at the event (or at least I imagine/hope the park will be closed to public?) But I'm assuming those astro tees are permanent and given as a legacy of the tour, which again as an idea in principle is great. Is it a good idea to leave a legacy of just plain dangerous course design for the "pinnacle" tour though? Is this the sort of course Discgolfpark will be installing in the US?
Don't worry, it's largely not a permanent course. Innova Europe would never design many of these as permanent holes.

Last edited:

Let me first say that I'm absolutely with you that professional disc golf should be headed in the direction of dedicated championship courses - a la Nokia, Maple Hill, Winthrop Gold, etc.

On the other hand, as someone who's both played the La Mirada combo 18 layout and spectated the top pros playing it last year, the situation in person just isn't as bad as you're describing.

Jussi's layout this year is definitely tweaked from the combo 18 layout they've played in the past, and most of those changes actually reduce the possibility of interaction with parkgoers. Hole 1 is not a 200' noob hyzer, but a 371' shot with OB all along the side where the playground sits. Based on where the basket is and the line from the tee, there is minimal risk of wounding a small child (and I have two of them personally, so I'm somewhat sensitive to the issue :thmbup:)

As for the rest of the course, the only other place where there's even a chance of thrown disc interactions with pedestrians is the second shots on the par 4 hole 4. Tees of holes 9 and 17 may have the occasional 'wait for pedestrians to walk by before throwing' issue, but no safety problems. The overall park is truly huge and people tend to congregate down at the lake area of the front 9, and in sports fields/tennis courts that are nowhere near the action on the back 9.

Again, I agree that it's not ideal that a top-flight disc golf tour event, broadcast live, would show to spectators a herd of random parkgoers dawdling past the tee and holding things up. But just wanted to give you a little local knowledge that the situation is nowhere near as dire as you're playing out.

Warning: Hype/Promotional post incoming.

To stay up to date on things, here's a direct link to the event page:
La Mirada Open

I highly suggest y'all make an account, it's free, and only behind the login can you access the live scoring, the live metrix, and any bonus content or maybe even a surprise or two we throw your way throughout the week...oh also right now you can register to win a basket for free, so that's awesome.

Other sources to follow to stay in the know or to get a little bit of a behind the scenes perspective:
Instagram
@DiscGolfWorldTour
@AveryJenkins
@DiscmaniacJT
YouTube
TheSpinTVCom (the official account name of SpinTV)

Media Day was today - we've put out the sound bits from our Tour Ambassadors - with more to come.

On behalf of the whole media team, thank you to each and every one of you for the support you've shown throughout the process. The buzz around the course starting from Sunday has been palpable, and our goal is to create media that you'll be proud to show your non-disc golfing friends. As much as you can and are willing please view, like, and share the content - and tune in on Friday and Saturday!

Lastly, a huge congratulations to our friends at Smashboxx for the record viewership of their live broadcast of The Memorial. We hope that record stands...until Friday! :D

Really looking forward to watching this event. I think you guys are doing some very cool stuff and I love Jussi's vision on this

Again, I agree that it's not ideal that a top-flight disc golf tour event, broadcast live, would show to spectators a herd of random parkgoers dawdling past the tee and holding things up. But just wanted to give you a little local knowledge that the situation is nowhere near as dire as you're playing out.

Thanks for the perspective. The noob hyzer comment was meaning to the playground not the tee though, it's one of my tests for course design, where would the noob hyzer go RHBH, LHBH, now where would it go with a raging cross wind. That kids park is the firing line.

My concern would be after the event, how many people will be out to play the World Tour layout and not navigating it quite as well as the top pros do.

Just basically what image does it set that the World Tour event has a kids playground on its first hole?