• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfing with a Beer!

I don't put up with drunks on the course, if they get mouthy or inappropriate I call the rec department guys to ask them to leave. I often play with my 5 year old as well and you can't act that way around kids.

Having said that though, you have to call or text the guy. Don't even meet him if you don't want to, just arrange a drop point or something.

Drunk chuckers on a public course?

Surely you jest.

Funny how the people from Wisconsin don't seem to have an issue with drunks being drunks. It's like we are used to it or something.

It's called disc golf, you'll run into your fair share of drunks who throw things, and druggies who don't care if you like being around it or not.

If you don't like it, walk away. That's my advice.

Funny how the people from Wisconsin don't seem to have an issue with drunks being drunks. It's like we are used to it or something.

I've lived in Wisconsin as well as Illinois and Indiana. You'd be amazed at the difference in attitudes towards alcohol in three states very near each other.

In Wisconsin, drinking culture tends towards a more European attitude, and people are generally more responsible in their drinking habits.

There's no open container law in my home town, nor a neighboring town, it's completely normal to walk into the bar and walk out with a to go cup - granted they don't have dg courses yet, but I'm working on it.

I've lived in Wisconsin as well as Illinois and Indiana. You'd be amazed at the difference in attitudes towards alcohol in three states very near each other.

In Wisconsin, drinking culture tends towards a more European attitude, and people are generally more responsible in their drinking habits.

I found that out when I was in the Marines. I was immediately labeled the barracks drunk, even after trying to explain I was somewhat moderate in my drinking compared to most of the guys my age that I ran with at home.

Stupid people with their non-Eastern block ancestry...they just don't get it.

My friends and I always drink a few beers when we play , but we are all family men and respect the fact that there may be kids present. We are just casual players in there 50s , so we are not in a hurry and always let groups play thru. We use disc golf as a afternoon out of the house. Don;t let a couple of d-bags wreck the game for yourself or anyone else for that matter. Just my 2 cents.

I was playing Castle Hayne in Wilmington, NC. When we let 2 guys play thru, one of the guys had a beer. When he threw, he did this weird squared up BH flip hyzer from under his armpit on his right side, with a beer still in his left hand. When he got the disc out about 200' down the middle of the fairway, I was completely impressed. I said "Wow, you didn't even have to put your beer down," to which he replied, "If I did, what would be the point?"

Tidbit: As a generosity to fellow players and in line with what I feel is a moral, I ALWAYS call numbers on the back of discs, usually on the spot. This guy emptied his bag in all directions and after he left I found 2 of his discs. I have yet to call the number, and with the way he used them, I am seriously considering NOT giving him a call.

I would have just left the disc on the ground in this case. Returning discs is a pain, so I frequently contact the owner and leave it on my front porch. It's only 3 miles from the course. I wouldn't want this guy going to my house.

I sometimes bring my 4yr old. If I hear loud cursing or smell anything, I just give a shout, "4yr old on hole #___." Usual reply is a simple, "Oops, sorry."

I really wanted the thread title to be Disc Golfing with a Bear
cartoon-bear-throwing-a-frisbee_gg64342132.jpg

I really wanted the thread title to be Disc Golfing with a Bear

I read it incorrectly as well. Pretty disappointed.

I would have left the discs. I get your anger, but don't let their lack of good judgement dissuade you from doing the right thing.

Have never had an issue with this. Luckily the people I have played around have handled their booze very well, as do I. MY PET PEEVE is the jokers that just throw their beer bottles all over the course. I always pick up atleast one or two everytime I go out, it's ridiculous and gives disc golfers a bad name.

Lol at the guy saying Wisconsinites are more responsible drinkers. Reality, we drink more beer per capita than any other state or so it seems. One town, Lacrosse, has I think 29 bars just on the main drag. That is a town of like maybe 20,000 people. So, yes us Sconny folk are just used to seeing drunk in public. I mean most of us start at like age 9 or 10.

This kinda stuff happens every single day on one of my local courses.

If you're talking about Lincoln... West Duluth.

If you're talking about LSC... Bros.

UMD? ... Hucker Bros

Carlton Disc Golf Sanctuary - 2 guys probably 21 years old each. Big black tourney bag looked full of 20+ discs. "Hank" was the name on one of the discs. I called the number and "Hank" is the guy I describe below, not one of the throwers. Additionally, one of the two clearly had more sense as he asked not to be thrown towards and was chasing and bagging everything his brain-dead friend was tossing.

Regardless of how other people act, I never measure my own moral standards against theirs in order to dictate or justify my own actions against my personal moral expectations.

Just today during a mini, I purchased a disc off of one of those pond hopping kids who are just looking to make a buck, and on the bottom of the disc is the name of a guy well known for being a total punk on the course. He cheats (it's known that you NEVER give this guy the scorecard), talks trash, drinks far too much combined with popping pills all round, and is just in general a vile person to be around. That said, I'm holding his disc to give back to him the next time he comes around a local mini. He had his name, but no number otherwise I would have called him. Yes, I paid for the disc, but it would have ended up in the gas station used bin had I not, then the guy would have never seen his disc again.

Point? Always do what you know to be right regardless of how other people act. It's your own actions, words, and thoughts that define your character.

This is sound advice and after reading this I decided to call the guy. Seems he is in Lake Tahoe, CA and his friend was tossing his plastic, not the owner. Sounds like a really nice guy actually! I guess I will let him know why I almost did not call him and maybe he will be more careful about borrowing his inked discs to asshats.

Lol at the guy saying Wisconsinites are more responsible drinkers. Reality, we drink more beer per capita than any other state or so it seems. One town, Lacrosse, has I think 29 bars just on the main drag. That is a town of like maybe 20,000 people. So, yes us Sconny folk are just used to seeing drunk in public. I mean most of us start at like age 9 or 10.

Have you gone elsewhere and seen how other people handle it? :shrugsmiley:

Have never had an issue with this. Luckily the people I have played around have handled their booze very well, as do I. MY PET PEEVE is the jokers that just throw their beer bottles all over the course. I always pick up atleast one or two everytime I go out, it's ridiculous and gives disc golfers a bad name.

I could not agree more on the littering point, and I think MOST disc golfers are on the same page.

The guy I was ranting about left a couple beers on the course and one on the school's nearby football field. I find it EXTREMELY disrespectful to leave trash about and it is CRIPPLING to our public courses. One major selling point of a DG course to a Parks and Rec Committee is that it is sustainable, user-maintained, and requires little excavation. Once we become known as littering drunks/stoners it's gonna be pay to play only and DG courses are going to become more rare than skate parks. Ironically, just an hour before my daughters and I had spent about 90 minutes cleaning up the course for a little payback to this free/public course. Picked up a couple bags of trash and moved a bunch of deadfall.

Latest posts