• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfing with a Beer!

MountainGoat

Bogey Member
... or one too many :\

At a public 9 hole today and saw a couple of guys tossing discs. Nothing unusual other than the fact that I had my 3 and 5 year old along. So I walked up to a basket in an open [football] field to practice on and one of the two guys approached and when I said hello, I could clearly see that he had a few too many. Probably his 5th time out based on his throws, and hopefully his last. He decided to bomb a few high-speed drivers down the open field to about 100'. Then decided to bomb them further out... and towards cars, his friend (his friend yelled at him) and eventually launched a disc intentionally into a giant scoreboard worth more than everything he had brought with him, car included. He wisely steered clear of my kids but I felt I had to keep a close eye on him. After dumping his and his friend's bag they took off.

I like to play recreationally but look forward to getting good enough to compete. I play in a league with some really cool guys who like to have a few and I honestly never really felt it was an issue in the least. I drink here and there but I am too focused on my game to drink while playing so I choose to not partake. I have since seen a couple of guys (none as bad as the above) that really kill the buzz on a couple of beers at the course and I think it's a shame.

I guess I just wanted to rant since it kind of made me uncomfortable (I don't want to think about what a stray Teedevil would do to an unsuspecting person) and was wondering if anyone else has encountered situations like this (public or private course) and what they might be inclined to do about it.

Tidbit: As a generosity to fellow players and in line with what I feel is a moral, I ALWAYS call numbers on the back of discs, usually on the spot. This guy emptied his bag in all directions and after he left I found 2 of his discs. I have yet to call the number, and with the way he used them, I am seriously considering NOT giving him a call.

Last edited:
So you went somewhere, and somebody was drunk. I guess you've never been to a baseball game, family reunion, been 21 years old, bah mitzvah, or restaurant on a Saturday night.

I was at Belmont park in Dayton and there is a few local drunks at the park. One guy was completely passed out. Just ignore them and let them do there own thing. They wont remember it.

So you went somewhere, and somebody was drunk. I guess you've never been to a baseball game, family reunion, been 21 years old, bah mitzvah, or restaurant on a Saturday night.

Trust me, I have done my fair share of stupid drunk tricks, I just feel there is a time and a place. I don't think throwing a 170g hard rubber blade through the air towards people is even remotely cool. Drunk or not, it's an assault IMO.

Unless it was Vibram, chances are there's little to no rubber in the discs.

.... also, do you live under a rock?

Trust me, I have done my fair share of stupid drunk tricks, I just feel there is a time and a place. I don't think throwing a 170g hard rubber blade through the air towards people is even remotely cool. Drunk or not, it's an assault IMO.

Stardoggy's point is terse and probably not the response you'd hoped for considering that you were merely venting, but it's accurate. It sucks that you had to deal with those D-Bags with your boys on hand to witness it though. Nevertheless, it's the reality of the game. For all its perks, benefits, and sheer enjoyment, the very nature of disc golf lends itself to plonkers like these by virtue of basic economics. It's free. If they have disc, they can play.

I wish I could say that this will be the last time you'll have to deal with tools such as these, but that would be a lie. They're going to be out there and it won't be the last time you see them. C'est la vie, and all that. It's a reality of the game.

However, don't ever feel bad about ranting about it here. There are going to be people who don't like it and it might get "'Filled," but this is the place to do it. You're in good company, brother. :)

Drunk is no reason to forget right and wrong. Nor is irritation. If the vandalism bothers you, call the cops. You could approach and attempt to reason with buzzboy, but that seems likely to be unproductive. Could just walk away understanding that some people are dbags and blaming the liquor falls, short. Call the number and take the chance to quickly and succinctly state your disappointment that your kids and the scoreboard were exposed to his salty behavior. Or better yet, call the number and get the disc back....maybe he will join your league. :gross::gross:

See it all the time. As long as the discs don't come close to hitting me, my wife, or my daughter, I just let it roll off my back. If I notice others being endangered and I feel I can control my temper, I may try to calmly explain that what they are doing could hurt someone. But, alas, I am not a calm person and usually let things be.

Regardless of how other people act, I never measure my own moral standards against theirs in order to dictate or justify my own actions against my personal moral expectations.

Just today during a mini, I purchased a disc off of one of those pond hopping kids who are just looking to make a buck, and on the bottom of the disc is the name of a guy well known for being a total punk on the course. He cheats (it's known that you NEVER give this guy the scorecard), talks trash, drinks far too much combined with popping pills all round, and is just in general a vile person to be around. That said, I'm holding his disc to give back to him the next time he comes around a local mini. He had his name, but no number otherwise I would have called him. Yes, I paid for the disc, but it would have ended up in the gas station used bin had I not, then the guy would have never seen his disc again.

Point? Always do what you know to be right regardless of how other people act. It's your own actions, words, and thoughts that define your character.

That's why all the parks I play at pass out 100 dollar fines for drinking any alcohol

It is illegal to drink in many of the parks that hold DG courses. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that it is enforced all the time.

Personally, I will drink 2 -3 beers on occasion while playing a round. That's my limit as I have to drive home. And that is really the issue here, knowing (and caring about) your limit. This guy obviously didn't know or care about the line between enjoying yourself and being an a$$hat.

Call the cops. This portrays our sport in a negative light. I don't care if you are drunk or not if you are being irresponsible and throwing discs in anyone in my parties direction expect to have a hole cut in your disc. I have NO problem making my feelings known to those who jeopardize my safety let alone my enjoyment.

Call the guy, mention (lightheartedly if necessary) the fact that he apparently had a few, coz he left some discs out there. If you can do it calmly, you could mention that it can be dangerous to hurl discs when you're about one away from hurling yourself (or something like that). Arrange to let him pick his discs up (you don't have to meet). But print him a little note, like this:
resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-dont-always-drink-but-when-i-do-i-prefere-to-drink-responsibly-8192bc.jpg

Latest posts